Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Newb System Plans

Old 07-29-2012, 12:43 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Newb System Plans

Hey all, just picked up my 2012 FX4 with sync, but no sony or nav. I've lived with the junk speakers for about a week and I'm going nuts. Wanted to get your thoughts and see if I'm on the right track

- Step One: Replace all four door speakers with one of these two 6x8's
- Pioneer TS-D6802R or MB QUART DISCUS Series DKE 168
- Step two: upgrade the factor tweeters. I have a couple of questions. For this m/y they have included a-pillar tweeters from the factory even with this model. Is there a crossover to the tweeters that will make the tweeters in the aftermarket speakers usless? Anyone know the size? Tweeter recommendations?
- Step three: Add sub
- MB Quart Reference RLP304 12" Flat Woofer
- MBQUART FX1.400 1 Channel Mono Block (running in 2ohm at 400watts)
- SuperCrewSound 12" single sub box

How soon am I going to want to add a 4 channel amp for the speakers? I'd prefer not to do this but will the factory stereo be enough to sound good with the sub?

What line out converter do you recommend for this set up?

Anything else I'm missing here? I just want to get some better sound and a bit more bass, doesnt need to be show worthy. I mainly listen to "stoner rock" and 90's rock.

Thanks! Great to be back in a truck
Old 07-30-2012, 12:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't speak for the tweeters in the pillars because I don't have them. But it looks as if you are on the right track. Do yourself a favor and spend $50 and get a PAC AOEM-FRD24. It provides 2 set of RCA out from the back of your factory headunit. Easy as pie.

As far as door speakers go, make sure the speakers you pick have a db sensitivity of about 90-92 if you are going to power them only with the headunit.

Polk db571 are what I used but ended up powering them and a 10"JL sub with an Alpine 5 channel.

Good luck.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:02 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Your stock stereo gives out 45 watts per channel to the door speakers. It will sound better but won't be loud and your low and highs will be crappish still. You didn't list an amp for your sub... unless you're planning on using that 80$ mbquart??

For the door speakers alot of people will recommend the Alpine KTPU as it also fits behind your stereo with the LOC.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by cynyc
I can't speak for the tweeters in the pillars because I don't have them. But it looks as if you are on the right track. Do yourself a favor and spend $50 and get a PAC AOEM-FRD24. It provides 2 set of RCA out from the back of your factory headunit. Easy as pie.

As far as door speakers go, make sure the speakers you pick have a db sensitivity of about 90-92 if you are going to power them only with the headunit.

Polk db571 are what I used but ended up powering them and a 10"JL sub with an Alpine 5 channel.

Good luck.
Thanks, The DB571's are high on my list. I just need to figure out if there is a cross over from the factory. If not, I'll leave the oem tweeter for now and upgrade the one in the door. I just didnt want to put a 2/3way speaker in the door to only have the low's come through. Does that make sense?

Originally Posted by KainDrag420
Your stock stereo gives out 45 watts per channel to the door speakers. It will sound better but won't be loud and your low and highs will be crappish still. You didn't list an amp for your sub... unless you're planning on using that 80$ mbquart??

For the door speakers alot of people will recommend the Alpine KTPU as it also fits behind your stereo with the LOC.
I'm good with 45w. I don't need to blast it, just want some more clarity with the windows down. Same for bass, That MB Quart amp puts out 400w mono when in 2ohm, which is how it would be wired.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by cynyc

Good luck.
This is good stuff. That adapters looks perfect, will it work with a 2012?

I ended up with the JBL 5x7's. should be here in a few days.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Newb System Plans