Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Newb speaker question

Old 08-03-2012, 12:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newb speaker question

Bought a 2012 Fx2 with sync but no nav/sony. Looking to upgrade my sound.

What should I do first, replace factory speakers? Or keep factory speakers and get a sub and an amp? Also, if I decide to get a sub, is one 10' woofer enough for some beat, or should I go for more? A car stereo place in town quoted me a 10' Memphis sub with 2 channel amp (brand?) and install for $750. Does this seem high?
Old 08-03-2012, 01:37 PM

Honestly, I wouldn't pay that much for what they're giving you. I'm not too sure if they're trying to rip you off royally, or if the audio shops around here are in deep with debt, but you could easily do that all for $500-600.

The sub with box should be no more than $200, the amp no more than another $150, along side an install/wiring/etc bumping you $200 at most (that better be a beautiful job).

Again, it really depends on what you're getting. A single sub system along side the amp and due kit should not be that much at all - I'm saying $600 on the high end of things.

Don't listen to people telling you to get a capacitor. If you do anything, punch them straight in the family jewels. If your alternator is having issues keeping up, something is wrong.
Old 08-03-2012, 04:29 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm in the same boat, just got my fx4 with the same setup. I'm going to replace the 4 6/8's and then add a 12' sub later. I'm just going to run the speakers of the H/u for now.
Old 08-05-2012, 01:42 PM
Dazed and Confused

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts

I installed Polk db571 rear, Polk MM6501 front in the doors and powering them from the factory HU. Then installed the PAC AOEM-FRD24 for input Rockford mono amp and Kicker 10" sub. Whole upgrade with #4 power wire to sub amp cost approx. $650. Many amp their door speakers. I didn't. It all comes down to your budget and needs.
Old 08-05-2012, 01:55 PM
-brad

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

i do no have the upgraded sound either, but i bought a 10" rockford and fosgate shallow sub, built a custom box that would fit perfectly under the reat seat. Hidden, out of the way. I have a rockford and fosgate amp under the drivers seat, wiring under carpet of course. packs a pretty good punch. Wont rattle your liscence plate off, but more then enough sound to know there is a sub...somewhere in the truck all costed me $330 (canadian). Bought it all during a huge clearout sale. I left the stock speakers. I honestly have no problems with them. I find that stock Ford speakers are fairly high quality anyway. I may replace them when i feel i have to much money. so...never
Old 08-10-2012, 10:04 AM

Cool thanks guys. I'm probably going to go with the 10" sub and amp and keep the door speakers for now. Just upgraded the trailer hitch receiver and got spray in bed liner this past week.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:11 AM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by john2012FX2
Cool thanks guys. I'm probably going to go with the 10" sub and amp and keep the door speakers for now. Just upgraded the trailer hitch receiver and got spray in bed liner this past week.
When you get an extra $120 get yourself 2 pairs of Kickers for your doors too. Along with your sub you will be happy.
Old 08-11-2012, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by brad.fx4
i do no have the upgraded sound either, but i bought a 10" rockford and fosgate shallow sub, built a custom box that would fit perfectly under the reat seat. Hidden, out of the way. I have a rockford and fosgate amp under the drivers seat, wiring under carpet of course. packs a pretty good punch. Wont rattle your liscence plate off, but more then enough sound to know there is a sub...somewhere in the truck all costed me $330 (canadian). Bought it all during a huge clearout sale. I left the stock speakers. I honestly have no problems with them. I find that stock Ford speakers are fairly high quality anyway. I may replace them when i feel i have to much money. so...never
can I see some pics of your set up???

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Newb speaker question