Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

New system almost done, need opinions

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 07:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New system almost done, need opinions

First of all I'm pretty new to car audio (haven't had a 'system' in 15 yrs). So all this new tech is great. My goal is to replace the stock system to the point where I can go tailgate at an NFL or college game or go camping and have system that people WANT to listen to.

Here is what I've got so far (or in the mail): Fox Acoustics dual 10" enclosure, a pair of brand new Image Dynamics 10V3D2's, Clarion CX501 HU, undecided on door speakers. Probably will go with Memphis 5x7 coaxial in the four corners and power it all with a Kicker IX1000.5 amp. I wanted the JL 900/5 but I liked the small footprint of the Kicker and got a nice deal on it.

Anyhow, anyone have suggestions for nice, musical, midbass speakers for the 4 door speakers? I don't really want a component system at this point, just to much $. Maybe down the road. Just looking at coaxial. My amp will push 125 rms x 4 at 2 ohm or 65 x 4 at 4 ohm and the sub channel at 500x1 at 2 ohm.

Do you think this will drive the two ID 10's well enough or should I have got a nice mono or two channel amp seperate to power the subs? Thanks for any input and let me know how you think this combination will perform!
Old 10-01-2011, 09:49 AM

Well looks like I'm the dorky new kid! 50 views and no replies.

Anyhow I ended up going with Memphis 15-MC572 for all four corners. Can't wait to see how it sounds.
Old 10-01-2011, 09:55 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by AirTractorDriver
Well looks like I'm the dorky new kid! 50 views and no replies.

Anyhow I ended up going with Memphis 15-MC572 for all four corners. Can't wait to see how it sounds.
You will get a good review on virtually any speaker. Really up to the owner/listener to decide what is best.

BTW: hello.
Old 10-01-2011, 01:37 PM

I had a little over 600 watts going to a single id10 and while it was overkill, I had plenty of headroom and it sounded really good. Not sure about 500 going two.
Old 10-01-2011, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by MKC70
You will get a good review on virtually any speaker. Really up to the owner/listener to decide what is best.

BTW: hello.
Howdy! For me it came down to the fact that I like sharp, crisp highs with at least moderate midbass. Listened to these Memphis units in the store and liked them alot. Down the road I'd like to add component 6's up front and leave the rear with the memphis coaxials.

Originally Posted by Langlowe
I had a little over 600 watts going to a single id10 and while it was overkill, I had plenty of headroom and it sounded really good. Not sure about 500 going two.

I'm thinking it should be about right, here are the specs on my subs:
  • 10" Dual 2 ohm ID V.3 Series Subwoofer
  • Power Handling:
    • Peak: 450 watts
    • RMS: 250 watts
    • Recommended Power Range: 100-400 watts
  • Impedance: Dual 2 ohm
  • Mica Polypropylene cone woofer
  • Rubber surround
  • Black anodized aluminum high temperature copper voice coil
  • Stamped steel basket for improved rigidity and better power handling
  • Optimized motor structure that uses finite element analysis for symmetrical and long linear excursion
  • Also found as: ID10D2 V.3, ID10 V.3 D2, ID10 D2, ID10D2, ID10V.3 D2, IDv3
  • Sensitivity: 85.5dB
  • Mounting Depth: 5-1/2"
  • Cutout dimensions: 9-1/8"
  • Authorized Internet Dealer
  • 1-year Manufacturer's Warranty
250 RMS wouldn't be way underpowering these subs would it? I'll have to wait and see how well the amp does with these 10's. I may run a two amp setup if it's not performing up to my expectations.
Old 10-01-2011, 02:39 PM
Senior almost

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

50 Views no replies, I know the feeling.. Your system will sound great as you have it planned the eventual components upfront will make a world of difference several people have excellent videos on how to's for most everything you run in to.. Search in audio full system installation... Welcome good luck.......
Old 10-01-2011, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by 2010FX4F150GILROY
50 Views no replies, I know the feeling.. Your system will sound great as you have it planned the eventual components upfront will make a world of difference several people have excellent videos on how to's for most everything you run in to.. Search in audio full system installation... Welcome good luck.......
Thanks. Yeah, I've been reading alot about the front doors with components. Lots of good info on here, great site!
Old 10-01-2011, 07:56 PM

Kicker amp are usually underated so you should be seeing a tad more than 500.

Keep the subs from clipping and if you aren't getting the output you want then get a dedicated mono amp that gives about 800 at 2ohm. That would put in the those subs sweet spot.

Quick Reply: New system almost done, need opinions