Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

New system in 13' platty..........having some issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 09:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New system in 13' platty..........having some issues

I've got a 2013 platinum w/Sony. This is the gear I put in:
Focal 165V components in front
Infinity Kappas in rear
JL audio 8" sub
Audio Control LCQ7 processor
Rockford Fosgate 5 channel smp

Had the install done at a local shop, not many choices where I live. The shop is definitely not high end, but was really my only choice as others weren't interested in my business if I didn't purchase all the gear from them. I'd say I saved about 40% off retail on all my gear. Now for the issues:
When I turn my truck on, I get a very noticeable 5 second high pitched hum from all the speakers, then it goes away and the music source plays. This happens no matter what source I have on (cd, fm/am, satellite, etc). Installer at shop says it's my stack head unit syncing with blue tooth and the sound is amplified because I now have external amplifier. Says there isno fix to it. It is very irritating sound, kinda drives me crazy.

Second issue, I'm getting a hum, from the focals up front at low volume. I know it's because of the external amp, but I listen at low volume a lot - when I turn it up the hum goes away. It's a very noticeable hum.

Amy thoughts on these two issues, im pretty pissed, but I am thinking these issues are "over my installers head"
He charged my $410 to put everything in.

I'm in SF Bay Area (north bay - Sonoma county). Thanks!
Old 01-22-2015, 12:07 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

You are correct in saying it is over his head. Syncing to bluetooth will not make any sound at all. Turn off your bluetooth on your phone and try it. You could have a bad ground, amp levels too high, bad RCA cables, bad processor or amp. Many things to check out. Hopefully you can find someone local to look at it more qualified.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A lot of the recommendations Wy011Scab gave you are easy to check and do them in the order he mentioned them. Look at your amp and follow the ground. Should be a short wire as thick as the power wire and make sure the connects are tight. Wiggle the RCA cables at the amp to see if the sound reacts to you moving it. Look at the output levels on the amp, turn them to see if you get a re-action in the lower volumns but remeber to turn it back if there is no affect.

The other locations are harder to get to but you shoul dbe able to check all connections at the amp.
Old 01-23-2015, 05:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rrichr
A lot of the recommendations Wy011Scab gave you are easy to check and do them in the order he mentioned them. Look at your amp and follow the ground. Should be a short wire as thick as the power wire and make sure the connects are tight. Wiggle the RCA cables at the amp to see if the sound reacts to you moving it. Look at the output levels on the amp, turn them to see if you get a re-action in the lower volumns but remeber to turn it back if there is no affect.

The other locations are harder to get to but you shoul dbe able to check all connections at the amp.
The amp is mounted behind the rear seat. Is it difficult to pull out that seat? Thx
Old 01-23-2015, 06:55 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by Acaps
The amp is mounted behind the rear seat. Is it difficult to pull out that seat? Thx
No. It hooks in. A lot of instructions on how to do on this forum and the web
Old 01-23-2015, 06:59 PM

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

If you have a supercrew folding the seats down is pretty easy. Raise the lower seat half which will give you room enough to remove the headrest. After headrest removal visually look down the seat back and you'll see a metal bracket. On the upper outside edge of the bracket for either side, passenger or driver you can see or either feel a small nub sticking out slightly from the bracket. This is the relase mechanism for the rear seat...simply pull up and presto, rear backrest will be able to fold down.

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.f150forum.com-vbulletin/2000x1124/80-
20150123_185019_1__20251e66c1ae478dc60f95e6ad7f497 a3ac92193.jpg[/IMG]
Old 01-23-2015, 07:12 PM

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

If you have a supercrew getting to the back of the cabin is fairly easy. Raise the lower seat half which will give you room enough to remove the headrest. After headrest removal visually look down the seat back and you'll see a metal bracket. On the upper outside edge of the bracket for either side, passenger or driver you can see or either feel a small nub sticking out slightly from the bracket. This is the release mechanism for the rear seat...simply pull up and presto, rear backrest will be able to fold down. Be careful doing this, some of the edges on the bracket are somewhat sharp, wear gloves!

Hopefully you have a loose connection on the amp or ground..if they grounded it near the amp. Hope that helps buddy.
The following users liked this post:
Wyo11Scab (01-24-2015)
Old 01-24-2015, 03:25 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Acaps
I've got a 2013 platinum w/Sony. This is the gear I put in:
Focal 165V components in front
Infinity Kappas in rear
JL audio 8" sub
Audio Control LCQ7 processor
Rockford Fosgate 5 channel smp

Had the install done at a local shop, not many choices where I live. The shop is definitely not high end, but was really my only choice as others weren't interested in my business if I didn't purchase all the gear from them. I'd say I saved about 40% off retail on all my gear. Now for the issues:
When I turn my truck on, I get a very noticeable 5 second high pitched hum from all the speakers, then it goes away and the music source plays. This happens no matter what source I have on (cd, fm/am, satellite, etc). Installer at shop says it's my stack head unit syncing with blue tooth and the sound is amplified because I now have external amplifier. Says there isno fix to it. It is very irritating sound, kinda drives me crazy.

Second issue, I'm getting a hum, from the focals up front at low volume. I know it's because of the external amp, but I listen at low volume a lot - when I turn it up the hum goes away. It's a very noticeable hum.

Amy thoughts on these two issues, im pretty pissed, but I am thinking these issues are "over my installers head"
He charged my $410 to put everything in.

I'm in SF Bay Area (north bay - Sonoma county). Thanks!

Look into possibly installing an active crossover... it will help clean it all up and ensure each speaker is getting the proper type of signal sent to it from the amp..

Quick Reply: New system in 13' platty..........having some issues