Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

New sub box in the works for 09 supercrews

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 10:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New sub box in the works for 09 supercrews

Here are some pictures of the prototype enclosure we finished today. I had a friend that let me get the measurements from his truck and he's coming by the shop in a few days so I can verify the fit.
I think its a very unique design for the 09's. It has 6.75" of mounting depth and 1.8 cubic feet of air volume. I had to machine two sets of molds to make the ABS caps which allow for such a extreme mounting depth and still leaving a 1.5" baffle to floor clearance.
These are not for sale yet since I haven't test fit it.

I just need to find out now if the ext cab and super crew can use the same sub box like the 04-08's did.

So what does everyone think?
Attached Thumbnails New sub box in the works for 09 supercrews-09forda.jpg   New sub box in the works for 09 supercrews-09fordb.jpg   New sub box in the works for 09 supercrews-09fordc.jpg  
Old 07-14-2009, 09:31 AM

are they all downfire i like them if they fit snugly under the rear seat
Old 07-14-2009, 10:24 AM

What else did you have in mind? Other than downfire.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:02 AM

maybe some upfire by chance? with a inch between speakers and seat
Old 07-14-2009, 01:35 PM

Thanks for the suggestion but a up fire box would leave you with a mounting depth of 4 inches. You could use shallow subs but you would be settling for a lower powered sub when its not needed.
My design has mounting depth of 6.75" because the molded cap pushes up into the the soft spot on the bottom of the seat 2.5" and allows you to use some very high powered 10's like Punch P3 "not shallow p3", JL 10w3's, Kicker CVX.
A lot of people have been burnt on down fire boxes because they buy import boxes from pawn shops and Ebay that have 1" or less of floor clearance. The people selling those boxes don't care how they sound or what damage they do to your subs because once they have your money they don't have to deal with you again. The subs end up getting damaged and the sound is terrible because they are muffled. I have 1.5" minimum and on most of my boxes have 2" floor clearance. When the proper clearance is used a down fire box is the best way to go.
I rely on referrals for most of my business so its in my best interest to build the best performing product that I can.
You will see boxes on Ebay for 12's when there is barely enough airspace for 10's. I refuse to build them.
If you read the reviews that people have posted for my 04-08 F-150 down fire boxes you will find one thing in common. They all say that they had cheap boxes before and my enclosures blow them away.
Old 07-19-2009, 05:52 PM

Finally got my hands on that 09 supercrew. It fit perfect! The top cap fit into the set bottom and the seat went all the way down like it does from the factory. The only change that I'm going to make is narrowing up the box by 1.5" so I can put some mounting tabs on both sides. The seats don't lock down in this truck so the box needs to be screwed to the floor to stop it from becoming a safety hazard in the event of a wreck or roll over.
Here are some pics of the test fit.
This is just a prototype box and we burnt the ABS material when molding the side caps. This box will end up in the dumpster once testing is done. The production boxes will look a lot better.
Current specs are:
Air space:1.85 undivided
Mounting depth: 6.5" deep with a 6.5" diameter magnet
Baffle to floor clearance: 1.75"
Shipping length: 55.5"
Attached Thumbnails New sub box in the works for 09 supercrews-09fordd.jpg   New sub box in the works for 09 supercrews-09forde.jpg   New sub box in the works for 09 supercrews-09fordf.jpg   New sub box in the works for 09 supercrews-09fordg.jpg  
Old 07-25-2009, 11:25 PM

Just to clarify. This is how the molded cap on the top of the box works to allow extra mounting depth. "see picture"
Attached Images  
Old 07-28-2009, 11:03 PM

Thats f'in hot. Nice work.
Old 07-29-2009, 01:09 AM
Car Audio Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

whats the space from pole vent to back wall?
Old 07-29-2009, 06:17 PM

That would depend on the sub you use.
The mounting depth is 6.5" w/ a magnet diameter of 6.5" or less. The baffle to floor clearance is 1.75"
You can increase the mounting depth by .25" by using a .25" MDF spacer ring but I recommend leaving as much floor clearance as possible. There are plenty of high power 10's on the market that are under 6.5".

Quick Reply: New sub box in the works for 09 supercrews