Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

New speakers on 2015 sound great, except...

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 11:49 AM

Received 73 Likes on 59 Posts

Default New speakers on 2015 sound great, except...

I was going to add this to the end of 1Chad's write-up, but then it got so long and rant like, I didn't want it to seem like I was hijacking his superb write-up.

Anyway, here goes...

From 1Chad...
Mid range seems better controlled. Previously I noticed the midrange would get very pronounced as volume was increased. I'm not certain if this has more to do with these speakers or the added soundproofing and sealing off the doorsound the speaker
Question about this... I just installed my JBL GTO938's over the weekend, to go along with my Alpine KTP-445U amp and Kicker Hideaway. I soundproofed the heck out of both front doors, and it sounds awesome on just about everything except certain songs/artists (like Orianthi, Scorpions for example) where the highs (or mids?) feel like their trying to make my ears bleed. On the factory HU, I have the mid and treble turned down to -3 and -4 to compensate, but doesn't seem right, because the next song may sound a little flat with those settings. It has always had harsh highs and/or mids but now at least it's not on everything, but seems more pronounced on those certain songs/artists.

I guess my main question is that I'm thinking it could be related to the A-pillar tweeters, since I can throw a towel over them and it seems to help, so I thought about disconnecting them (I s'pose I could do that anyway to test my theory, and I already disconnected the center dash speaker), but then I would feel like I'm going backwards, or does anybody think that replacing them with some decent ones take away the ear bleed and maybe balance everything out?

Thanks for any advice...
Old 03-15-2016, 12:34 PM

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

I think those speakers have a button on the tweeter to increase the highs by +3db. try with the button out and see if that helps.

Last edited by FredB; 03-15-2016 at 12:36 PM.
Old 03-15-2016, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by FredB
I think those speakers have a button on the tweeter to increase the highs by +3db. try with the button out and see if that helps.
Yeah they do, having it pushed in like I do, makes it -3db, whereas with it out is 0db. I was thinking that -3db would take some of the highs out? Or is my thinking wrong?
Old 03-15-2016, 12:57 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The big problem is that the factory radio has a built in eq curve made to overcome their low power and crappy speakers, and when you amplify it, it gets way more pronounced as you increase the volume.
Old 03-15-2016, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by TerryH22
Yeah they do, having it pushed in like I do, makes it -3db, whereas with it out is 0db. I was thinking that -3db would take some of the highs out? Or is my thinking wrong?
I believe pushing them in increases the db ,+3 pushed in and 0db with them out or up
Old 03-15-2016, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by itsed65
The big problem is that the factory radio has a built in eq curve made to overcome their low power and crappy speakers, and when you amplify it, it gets way more pronounced as you increase the volume.
So I think I will try disconnecting the crappy tweeters and see if that makes a difference. I guess I don't need them anyway since my JBL's are 3way.
Old 03-15-2016, 01:19 PM

I believe pushing them in increases the db ,+3 pushed in and 0db with them out or up
Maybe I'm seeing it wrong, but it looks like in is -3. If you zoom in, you can see it on the speaker.

Old 03-15-2016, 01:42 PM

You are absolutely correct, Mine are just the opposite, Wonder if it has something to do with the 2 way vs 3 way.
Anyway I stand corrected.
Old 03-15-2016, 03:58 PM

You are absolutely correct, Mine are just the opposite, Wonder if it has something to do with the 2 way vs 3 way.
Anyway I stand corrected.
It's all good! Silly that they would make a 3way completely opposite of the 2way... maybe cuz the 3ways are brighter than the 2ways...?

I hope that disconnecting the stock tweeters will help. I was looking online (Amazon, Crutchfeild and BestBuy) for 3/4" tweeters that might fit right in, but couldn't find a direct fit that has a built in crossover. I wouldn't mind spending $70-80 on some like that if I could find them and if they would actually make a difference.
Old 03-15-2016, 05:27 PM

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

I have the same speakers, JBL GTO938 front and GTO638 rear, the button is definitely -3 db and reduces the highs.

I also have a Kicker amp/dsp for my door speakers taken from a 2012-2014 F150 Powerstage kit, so my sound is going to be different than what you're getting.

I thought mine was only a little bright with the speaker button left at zero so on the factory headunit I reduced the highs by 2 bars, left the mids alone at zero, and increased the lows by 2 bars because I don't have a subwoofer yet. I would never describe the highs I get as bleeding ears bad, so maybe it's the factory dsp giving you problems with the more sensitive speakers? Hope you sort it out, I think the sound I'm getting in general is fantastic and I can't wait to add a subwoofer to fix the low end.

Last edited by Mr Hahn; 03-15-2016 at 05:31 PM.

Quick Reply: New speakers on 2015 sound great, except...