Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

New speaker or whole new system - '12 XLT w/Sync

Old 02-15-2016, 12:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default New speaker or whole new system - '12 XLT w/Sync

I have a '12 XLT with Sync.

My right front woofer is starting to go, it starts rattling and then gets really distorted in the mid-range.

I'm debating just replacing the one speaker, replacing all/some speakers, or replacing all speakers AND the head unit. I'm not thrilled with the stock system, but like the integration with the steering wheel and it's essentially free.

If money were no object, I would get an audiophile system. But probably not a subwoofer. I like good, clean sound and don't want to muddy it with bass and don't need a boom.

Has anyone just replaced the speakers with good success? Can I stagger and get speakers now and a new head unit later?

If I go the route of a new head unit:
A head unit with Bluetooth is required.
A head unit that could connect to a backup camera would be nice. I don't have a camera now, just sensors.
A head unit with XM and HD radio would be nice.
Don't need GPS.
Don't need Video.

I'm also curious to know what people are spending on something that would meet my objectives and whether it's worthwhile to do the install myself or have it done...I'm just starting out on the research so not sure what options exist.

Thanks for the help/thoughts!
Old 02-15-2016, 04:01 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by Vaaccess
I have a '12 XLT with Sync.

My right front woofer is starting to go, it starts rattling and then gets really distorted in the mid-range.

I'm debating just replacing the one speaker, replacing all/some speakers, or replacing all speakers AND the head unit. I'm not thrilled with the stock system, but like the integration with the steering wheel and it's essentially free.

If money were no object, I would get an audiophile system. But probably not a subwoofer. I like good, clean sound and don't want to muddy it with bass and don't need a boom.

Has anyone just replaced the speakers with good success? Can I stagger and get speakers now and a new head unit later?

If I go the route of a new head unit:
A head unit with Bluetooth is required.
A head unit that could connect to a backup camera would be nice. I don't have a camera now, just sensors.
A head unit with XM and HD radio would be nice.
Don't need GPS.
Don't need Video.

I'm also curious to know what people are spending on something that would meet my objectives and whether it's worthwhile to do the install myself or have it done...I'm just starting out on the research so not sure what options exist.

Thanks for the help/thoughts!
Change out the door speakers first. Use some with a higher efficiency. hen add a sub and amp in the back. You will notice a huge difference. If that doesn't do it change the HU. If that doesn't do it add an amp to the door speakers.
Old 02-15-2016, 05:59 PM

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

I replaced all my speakers, added a 4 channel amp for the doors and a mono amp to push 2 Kicker 12" subs all while maintaining the stock head unit.

If you are wanting an audiophile experience on a budget you may consider doing everything in stages, no point in spending a bunch of money before needing it.

I would probably start out with 4 channel amp and all 4 doors. You can pickup a nice line out converter with integrated EQ from AudioControl. I have a LC6i but I would opt for the LCQ-1 or DQ-61 for the individual channel adjust-ability. The beauty of that is you can keep your stock head unit, clean up the signal from it and supply your amp(s) with a better signal overall. The DQ-61 would also allow you to add another amp and sub if you decided that's something you wanted to do later.

Or you could do it without the line out converters since they are going to cost $200-$400 and just splurge for a new head unit. Depending on the features you are after you could pick up a nice double din for the price the DQ-61.

I did a quick search on Crutchfield and for $540 you can get the Kenwood DDX573BH with Bluetooth, iDatalink module to retain Sync and steering wheel controls, HD Radio, Sirius XM module and you can add a camera.

I opted to do the install myself, but it's something I have always done. I have a hard time paying someone else to do the things I am capable of.

Keep doing the research, eventually you will find what you want to do!
Old 02-15-2016, 07:56 PM

Yeah, I think I'm good with doing it in increments, and enjoying the system one step at a time.

I was looking on Crutchfield and found some Focal Integration speakers that looked interesting: Focal Integration ISS 570
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_091ISS5...70.html?tp=106

If I went with Component speakers, how hard is it to install the front doors and the components in the pillar? This one doesn't have a crossover (I don't think), so thinking I could just plug them into the wires that are in place and not need to run extra wires to the crossovers, etc.

I'd obviously have to go with some rears, too, do others think Focal's are pretty good? Again, looking for good flat, efficient response curve that isn't overly warm or muddy with bass.

For reference, i just bought a set of Klipsch X11i IEMs that I'm in love with...
Old 02-16-2016, 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by Vaaccess
Yeah, I think I'm good with doing it in increments, and enjoying the system one step at a time.

I was looking on Crutchfield and found some Focal Integration speakers that looked interesting: Focal Integration ISS 570
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_091ISS5...70.html?tp=106

If I went with Component speakers, how hard is it to install the front doors and the components in the pillar? This one doesn't have a crossover (I don't think), so thinking I could just plug them into the wires that are in place and not need to run extra wires to the crossovers, etc.

I'd obviously have to go with some rears, too, do others think Focal's are pretty good? Again, looking for good flat, efficient response curve that isn't overly warm or muddy with bass.

For reference, i just bought a set of Klipsch X11i IEMs that I'm in love with...
Looks like they come with inline crossovers for each component, read that on the details tab.

I don't have personal experience with Focal speakers so I cannot speak to their quality.

Just remember that most stock head units certain frequencies are reduced as the head unit is turned up. This is more common in lower frequencies since the stock speakers can't handle the bass as the volume goes up. This is where a quality LOC or a new head unit come in handy to make sure all frequencies go to your speakers and you can adjust the levels your tastes.
Old 02-16-2016, 09:34 PM

Hmmm....Yeah, that's what I was worried about and why I was hoping to get feedback about people's experience in replacing speakers without a new HU. (Is LOC Line-Out Connection?...Not familiar with that acronym.)
Old 02-17-2016, 12:12 AM

Line Out Converter - the LCQ-1 and DQ-61 I mentioned earlier

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New speaker or whole new system - '12 XLT w/Sync