Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

new speaker advice needed

Old 06-21-2010, 09:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question new speaker advice needed

i need to replace the factory speakers in my 05 extended cab. i used to "compete" on the amateur level with previous systems so im not a newbie when it comes to speakers. ive just been out of the game for a few years. i AM NOT going the component route as many people like to say in a response. im just looking to do basic replacement of my 6x8s. i have been looking at the kicker models, not sure on the #, but just there 2 way ones. can anybody comment on those, or recommend something along that level?
Old 06-21-2010, 11:20 PM

NEVER buy highs without listening to them in person. Everyone likes something different in highs and mids. Some like the softer sound of silk tweeters, some like the harsher tinny sound of titanium tweeters. Some mids are designed for full range and play deep an some are designed for dedicated mids and have a tight response.
This is when a stereo shop with a good demo room and a wide variety of speakers comes in handy. Tell the salesman to turn the subs off and switch from one set to another while playing some quality music and select several different types of music too. Some speaker will sound great on one song and flop with another.
You can always EQ the crap out of any speaker and make it sound decent but a speaker that sounds great to begin with is always better.
Good luck.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:24 PM

thank you very much. thats something that i havent thought of and should have. like i said i just havent played around for several years and iys those little thinhs that slip your mind. thanks again. i am still open to any little posts
Old 06-21-2010, 11:48 PM

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

Remember to test the speakers out at a comparable power level to what you'll have in the truck as well (stock deck, aftermarket, or amped). It's so easy to switch the door speakers in our trucks out (just pull the gray panel off) you may be able to get a shop to let you test a couple sets if they are real slow that day.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:24 PM

wow id like to find a shop that lets you test them out! like u said a very easy install. but id bet any pair of speakers that cost more than 60 bucks are going to sound great compared to your factory. ive never had a customer unhappy with the sound quality of their speakers regardless of brand.

power is the only thing to plan ahead on. and i would get components if i was you! lol what the guy said about soft tweeters compared to hard is true. ive had the pleasure of listening to b&w diamond tweeters and can say its beyond any other meterial. lol
i would go find some you like in a store then go order them online.

im trying to get my post count up. ive got a rear view mirror with backup camera and a supercrewsounds box for 2 12s and the seat lift kit im getting rid of for cheap.

ill try to be as helpful as possible. ive been installing for over a decade now and have worked at mom and pop shops, big box stores. and now work for myself.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: new speaker advice needed