Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

New Audio System Phase 1: Battery and Sub box

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 01:47 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default New Audio System Phase 1: Battery and Sub box

Overhauling the sony stereo with nav in my 2012 fx4. I've received most of my components, but still waiting for the audiocontrol lc8i.

The list:
(2) Pairs of Focal 165vb 6 1/2" components
Stinger SPV44 high performance battery
(2) 12" Kicker CVR 12 2 ohm subwoofers
SupercrewSound extra deep dual 12 enclosure w/black carpet &seat lift kit
Infinity 1600a mono sub amplifier
Infinity 475a 4 channel amplifier
Monster 400 1/0 amp wiring kit
Monster 400 1/0 power distribution block
Monster 400 RCA interconnects
(2) Monster 400 Battery terminals
Monster 16 gauge and 12 gauge speaker wire
Dynamat Extreme bulk pack with heavy duty roller
1/4" Dynaliner pack
Scosche 18 gauge 9 conductor speaker wire for lc8i
Scosche speaker adapters
USB cable for usb2 mod
Iphone Dock
Seagate free agent 500gb portable hard drive

I only had 1 day to work this weekend to get a jump start on the install. I got the battery installed, the seat lift kit installed, and the sub box put in. The rest will have to wait a couple weeks until I have the time off from work to finish. I can't wait to have it all in!

Seat lift brackets installed

Sub box view

New Stinger battery installed
Old 04-16-2012, 01:51 PM

Received 523 Likes on 386 Posts

Good choices..... I am a little biased when it comes to amps and components, but I surely agree with the Focal's. You won't be let down.

I have to ask though, whats the need for the extra battery? Or did you just replace the factory one with the stinger. I didn't see an isolator in parallel, so I am just curious?
Old 04-16-2012, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by ibd2328
Good choices..... I am a little biased when it comes to amps and components, but I surely agree with the Focal's. You won't be let down.

I have to ask though, whats the need for the extra battery? Or did you just replace the factory one with the stinger. I didn't see an isolator in parallel, so I am just curious?
It just replaces the factory one. The Infinity sub amp is really picky on the voltage it needs, it cuts out when the voltage gets below a certain point, so I needed that battery to act as a capactior. I really wanted to add this as an aux battery, and leave the factory for starting the truck, but I hear the new f150's have a complicated electrical system, and I couldn't find any info on installing one in a 2012. I may get an isolator down the road, and put back in my factory battery once it becomes a more common mod. I'll let someone else be the guinea pig as my truck is only a month old.

Last edited by Bgreen02; 04-16-2012 at 02:29 PM.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Bgreen02
It just replaces the factory one. The Infinity sub amp is really picky on the voltage it needs, it cuts out when the voltage gets below a certain point, so I needed that battery to act as a capactior. I really wanted to add this as an aux battery, and leave the factory for starting the truck, but I hear the new f150's have a complicated electrical system, and I couldn't find any info on installing one in a 2012. I may get an isolator down the road, and put back in my factory battery once it becomes a more common mod. I'll let someone else be the guinea pig as my truck is only a month old.
I don't have much experience with the Infinity stuff. However, given the ratings on the sub, I can't see how you will have an issue with one battery. I'm running about 2000w and have no issues so far. Whats the specs on the stinger battery?

Also, like you went with 1/0 ga wire. I don't think it was really necessary, but always makes for a more efficient system.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:22 PM

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Overhauling the sony stereo with nav in my 2012 fx4. I've received most of my components, but still waiting for the audiocontrol lc8i.

The list:
1/4" Dynaliner pack
Scosche speaker adapters
USB cable for usb2 mod
Iphone Dock

I only had 1 day to work this weekend to get a jump start on the install. I got the battery installed, the seat lift kit installed, and the sub box put in. The rest will have to wait a couple weeks until I have the time off from work to finish. I can't wait to have it all in!

Sub box view

I also have 2 12" cvr 12's but mine are dvc 4ohm wired down to 1ohm an i couldn't ask for anything better, especially considering I paid $115 for them. mine are being pushed by a hifonics brutus elite 2000.1 amp and they slam bro, good luck an be sure to upload more pics an a vid if you can
Old 04-16-2012, 04:31 PM
Promoted to Elitist Prick

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

The list:
1/4" Dynaliner pack
Scosche speaker adapters
USB cable for usb2 mod
Iphone Dock

Sub box view

Looks like my set up. I have a dry cell battery behind my seat tho and polk subs.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:33 PM
Promoted to Elitist Prick

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I run two batteries in my truck without anything extra for them. Works great, i can watch a whole movie with the subs going and they batteries dont drain.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:49 PM

I don't have much experience with the Infinity stuff. However, given the ratings on the sub, I can't see how you will have an issue with one battery. I'm running about 2000w and have no issues so far. Whats the specs on the stinger battery?

Also, like you went with 1/0 ga wire. I don't think it was really necessary, but always makes for a more efficient system.

Yeah I think the one battery setup will be fine, but since I've got a perfectly good battery it would be nice to be able to use my system longer with the engine off. I agree I could probably have gotten by with 4 gauge but I may add something else down the road.

Originally Posted by raif281
I also have 2 12" cvr 12's but mine are dvc 4ohm wired down to 1ohm an i couldn't ask for anything better, especially considering I paid $115 for them. mine are being pushed by a hifonics brutus elite 2000.1 amp and they slam bro, good luck an be sure to upload more pics an a vid if you can
I've used the shallow 10's before and really liked them. Looking forward to hearing the full size 12's. You'll be putting a lot more watts to them than I am. My amp isn't 1 ohm stable so they'll be getting 300 watts rms a piee. I may upgrade my amp down the road

Originally Posted by wasinger3000
I run two batteries in my truck without anything extra for them. Works great, i can watch a whole movie with the subs going and they batteries dont drain.
So you just have 2 batteries wired in parallel? Are they both the same?
Old 04-16-2012, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by wasinger3000
Seeming how no battery has the same constant/voltage charge; idk how the polarities don't pull at one another draining them.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:58 PM

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

I've used the shallow 10's before and really liked them. Looking forward to hearing the full size 12's. You'll be putting a lot more watts to them than I am. My amp isn't 1 ohm stable so they'll be getting 300 watts rms a piee. I may upgrade my amp down the road
yea I will, and your wiring them to 2ohms right? they can handle 400rms 800peak, I have my amp about 3/4 power and a bass **** under the steering wheel, if your amp has the bass **** spot I would deff use it. I also have a switch to turn them on an off

Quick Reply: New Audio System Phase 1: Battery and Sub box