Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

New to Audio and need some help

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 09:27 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default New to Audio and need some help

Alright guys I've been reading a good bit on car audio this evening and read the 2004-2008 sticky. I have a 2005 supercab fx4 and I love doing custom work. I'm still in the planning stage of my build but to me the interior is the most important part of a vehicle because that is where I am at 100% of the time. With that being said I've always loved custom fiberglassed door panels, dashes, custom headliners, that sort of thing. So my first project will be upgrading the interior.

So far what I'm wanting is:

Two 6.5" components in both driver and passenger side doors where the map pockets are for a total of 4 all together.

Mount the tweeters either on the A pillar or on the door panel by the vent

Upgrade my rear speakers to ??? coaxial s? three ways?

Custom built sub box for under my rear seat for two 12's or 10's, haven't decided yet.

Also I want to amp the components upfront.

This will be a budget build for right now. I'm still in school so funds are tight but what I want to do is get all the spots filled so I can upgrade later on. For example my four 6.5" components may be cheapo walmart speakers for right now but later on I can upgrade.

With all that being said, that's my plan. I just need help matching everything up.

I'm considering two sets of these for the fronts. I'm sure they are a cheap brand but so far they've had good reviews. What kind of amp should I use for these? Can I even amp these? I have a 400 watt Jensen 4 channel amp. Would that work?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/12518802?w...219230&veh=sem

I'm open to suggestions guys. Like I said it's going to have to be a budget build for right now, I just want all the spots filled for now so I can upgrade later on and hopefully it will sound better than stock.

I'm looking at about:
$100 for the component set up
$100 for the subs
$50 or a little more for amps
Old 12-15-2013, 09:54 PM

Received 169 Likes on 137 Posts

Custom work like several pairs of components in the doors is going to require fiberglass work. do you have those skills? Paying for the work is expensive, and even doing it yourself (materials) isnt cheap especially if you're learning on the go (wasted materials while learning). I dont want to discourage you, because I love seeing custom work, but "custom" and "budget" dont go together at all.
Old 12-15-2013, 09:59 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

yeah actually the fiberglassing part is what got me really interested in it. I have used it before and I plan doing a few small fiberglass projects before I cut up my door panels anyway. Like I said I'm still in the planning phase but I'm trying to get a good idea.

When I meant budget, I mean I can't go spending $500 a piece on subs, amps, and speakers. The cheaper the better. I know it's going to be expensive but the end results will be worth it. Hopefully lol
Old 12-15-2013, 10:30 PM

Received 169 Likes on 137 Posts

The only advice I can give you on the fiberglassing is to go online and buy good materials. The bondo or elmers brand crap that home depot sells isnt worth trying to work with. good resin, hardener, cloth, and mat will make the job SO much easier and come out WAY better. check out http://www.uscomposites.com/ for your materials. Check out http://www.fiberglassforums.com/ for tips on working with glass. I would buy decent used equipment instead of cheap new equipment. Check out www.diymobileaudio.com www.caraudio.com and www.caraudioclassifieds.org for great classifieds sections for mobile audio. This would be a nice package for your front doors. A 2 channel amp and 2 pairs of components for 250. I would run that package and do nothing in the rear. I dont ever run rear speakers in any of my systems
http://www.ebay.com/itm/pkg-2-PRECISION-POWER-S2-65C-6-5-COMPONENT-SPEAKERS-PHOENIX-GOLD-X100-2-AMP-/130979078217?pt=Car_Speakers&hash=item1e7ef62049
Old 12-25-2013, 02:04 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree. Better to go with quality used stuff than cheap new stuff. I'd even buy fewer drivers overall but buy the best you can afford. It's easy to go crazy with the installs but IMHO buying one set of $100 speakers and using stock locations will give better sound than all the custom stuff but low end speakers. Just my two cents.

Quick Reply: New to Audio and need some help