Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Never owned component system.. will this setup work?

Old 12-09-2012, 10:42 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Never owned component system.. will this setup work?

2010 f150 xlt supercab, with sync, do not have sony speakers or nav

Hey guys, so I upgraded my speakers to 4 infinity reference 6832s (2ohms 60rms), and well, just not getting what I wanted (granted they are not amped, but they are not loud enough for me)

So I was going to remove the 2 from the front, and add a pair of infinity kappa 680.9cs ( 2 ohms impedance 90 rms -- I've read on crutchfield it was 4 ohms, and another site, so I downloaded the manuals for these speakers and the specs say they are Impedance: 2 ohms)

And I was going to power them with an MB Quartz ONYX4.60 (ONYX Series 4-Channel Class A/B Car Amplifier • 120W x 4 Chan @ 2 Ohm)

Will this set up work or am I going to blow the rear references that are rated for 60 rms ? I've heard of giving the speakers "head room" I trhink was the term, more power rms then they are rated for, but at what point is it to much?

Ill also be picking up the PAC AOEM-FRD24 to keep my sync intact. (I've slowly been piecing this set up together for 2 weeks since I decided the 6832s were not good enough, Im no audio guru, just been reading a lot of posts from people to build my confidence up to build this and install on my budget, open to comments questions suggestions )

Last edited by Chootem; 12-09-2012 at 11:33 AM.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

before spending money on the components , i would get an amp to current your current coaxials. i had the type r coaxials and they sounded good but just didnt get loud enough. i amped them and they really came alive. i would throw the amp on and sound deaden the front doors especially and see how you like it
Old 12-09-2012, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by cmw5e
before spending money on the components , i would get an amp to current your current coaxials. i had the type r coaxials and they sounded good but just didnt get loud enough. i amped them and they really came alive. i would throw the amp on and sound deaden the front doors especially and see how you like it
What's the most headroom on an amp though I can put through the reference? I'd like to over power them if in case I do need a higher powered amp for higher quality speakers
Old 12-09-2012, 10:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Headroom doesnt necessarily mean over powering them....

you can use the amps gain to get them the correct amount of power.

as far as just adding an amp to the coaxials and deadning the doors. it is certainly an option..and for your goals, may be the correct one. I would honestly start with adding an amp and if its loud enough for you...sound deaden the doors and be done with it.
Old 12-10-2012, 01:18 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by Chootem
2010 f150 xlt supercab, with sync, do not have sony speakers or nav

Hey guys, so I upgraded my speakers to 4 infinity reference 6832s (2ohms 60rms), and well, just not getting what I wanted (granted they are not amped, but they are not loud enough for me)

So I was going to remove the 2 from the front, and add a pair of infinity kappa 680.9cs ( 2 ohms impedance 90 rms -- I've read on crutchfield it was 4 ohms, and another site, so I downloaded the manuals for these speakers and the specs say they are Impedance: 2 ohms)

And I was going to power them with an MB Quartz ONYX4.60 (ONYX Series 4-Channel Class A/B Car Amplifier • 120W x 4 Chan @ 2 Ohm)

Will this set up work or am I going to blow the rear references that are rated for 60 rms ? I've heard of giving the speakers "head room" I trhink was the term, more power rms then they are rated for, but at what point is it to much?

Ill also be picking up the PAC AOEM-FRD24 to keep my sync intact. (I've slowly been piecing this set up together for 2 weeks since I decided the 6832s were not good enough, Im no audio guru, just been reading a lot of posts from people to build my confidence up to build this and install on my budget, open to comments questions suggestions )
When it comes to an amp you are better having more "clean" power. If you get an amp with too low of power you will have distortion.
Old 12-10-2012, 01:38 PM

My question is how much power is to much as far as going over the speakers rms? Would running 120 through a speaker be bad? At what point does it become to much? These current ones I have are rated for 60 rms @ 2 ohms (been told they run at about 2.7 ohms actually if that's possible
Old 12-11-2012, 03:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i definitely wouldnt run double . . .

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Never owned component system.. will this setup work?