Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

need wiring harness help!!!

Old 06-13-2012, 02:09 PM
Automotive Refinish Tech

Received 1,746 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Default need wiring harness help!!!

So I have a car audio specialty shop near my work. I went down there today to get the metra bt-5520 harness to install my new alpine ktp-445U amp. I've read on this forum that this harness or the pac adapter will work.

So I tell the guy, I want the BT-5520 harness. He says,"oh yeah we have that." He comes back with a metra 70-5521. I say,"dude this isnt even the same part number." And he says its the one the guys use in the shop. And assured me it will work.

I doubt it will, but I trust you guys more than him.

So will it work? I don't want to hve my dash apart and find out its not.
Old 06-13-2012, 02:17 PM
Automotive Refinish Tech

Sorry forgot to mention, I have a 2010 f150 STX scab. Single disk cd player, no sync, no sony, no nav.
Old 06-13-2012, 03:33 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

the bt-5520 is a Bluetooth integration harness

if your just going amp and no head unit just go
http://www.pac-audio.com/productDeta...&CategoryID=28
Old 06-13-2012, 03:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

go with PAC
Old 06-13-2012, 03:44 PM
Automotive Refinish Tech

Haha! Cool, thanks fellas.
Old 06-13-2012, 04:50 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Lemme ask the question.... i've been trying to figure this out for awhile.

I was planning on not using any aftermarket harness. Reading the PAC manual from teh link above still has me thinking of just splicing the wires and not using the PAC or Metra harness.

PLEASE tell me if I'm messing up. I, like mbullock, don't want to get halfway into the job and figure out I'm screwed.

OEM HU. Cut the speaker wires and splice (+remote wire) to my 9-wire cable and send that back to my DSP. From the amps, I am wiring direct to the doors. So, the old wiring will just be dead weight. I have Snyc, BT, and steering controls. I expect all of those will exist after the spicing, as I'm only taking the speaker-level output from the HU.

Yes?

Or does Sync tie in later in the line? I mean, does Sync go into the HU for distribution of sound? Or does it go direct to speakers?

Thanks
Old 06-13-2012, 05:24 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Guinness68
Lemme ask the question.... i've been trying to figure this out for awhile.

I was planning on not using any aftermarket harness. Reading the PAC manual from teh link above still has me thinking of just splicing the wires and not using the PAC or Metra harness.

PLEASE tell me if I'm messing up. I, like mbullock, don't want to get halfway into the job and figure out I'm screwed.

OEM HU. Cut the speaker wires and splice (+remote wire) to my 9-wire cable and send that back to my DSP. From the amps, I am wiring direct to the doors. So, the old wiring will just be dead weight. I have Snyc, BT, and steering controls. I expect all of those will exist after the spicing, as I'm only taking the speaker-level output from the HU.

Yes?

Or does Sync tie in later in the line? I mean, does Sync go into the HU for distribution of sound? Or does it go direct to speakers?

Thanks
Unless u seriously know what ur doing go harness... Makes it waaaaaaaaay easier
PAC MSFRD1 be ur best bet
Old 06-13-2012, 05:59 PM

Thanks for the response, but the harness is necessary if I am replacing the factory head unit. I'm trying to keep the factory HU.

Where does Sync, etc... enter the audio circuit (through radio or other)

in my head, I'm picturing just splicing 9 wires (8 speaker and 1 remote). Am I way off?

My system is the Non sony... 6 cd standard.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:45 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Guinness68
Thanks for the response, but the harness is necessary if I am replacing the factory head unit. I'm trying to keep the factory HU.

Where does Sync, etc... enter the audio circuit (through radio or other)

in my head, I'm picturing just splicing 9 wires (8 speaker and 1 remote). Am I way off?

My system is the Non sony... 6 cd standard.
No - exactly what I did first go around. Took the high level speaker outs from the HU and ran them to my DSP and then speaker feeds from amp back up to dash and into factory speaker runs. This was before I ran new wires to doors. I didnt bother with remote from harness and ran a new run from a fuse (forget which one it was) that was turned on/off via key. It had same delay as HU.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by JoeBoost
No - exactly what I did first go around. Took the high level speaker outs from the HU and ran them to my DSP and then speaker feeds from amp back up to dash and into factory speaker runs. This was before I ran new wires to doors. I didnt bother with remote from harness and ran a new run from a fuse (forget which one it was) that was turned on/off via key. It had same delay as HU.
So, Joe... Ok to cut the speaker level outs from the head unit? No harness needed?

Again... Factory HU > DSP > Amps > to new speaker wire

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: need wiring harness help!!!