Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Need to upgrade the sound in my 2012 F150

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 04:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need to upgrade the sound in my 2012 F150

I just got a 2012 F150 XLT. I think it just has the basic stereo in it. To me, it's a bit mid range sounding with muddy bass.

Any suggestions on if I can get some decent sound out of it by just changing the speaker configuration instead of doing a full stereo/speaker swap?

I was thinking that maybe adding a sub and an amp may free up the rest of the speakers to pump out midrange and treble. I don't want a giant sub in there as I don't want to take up a ton of room. I'd love it to be able to fit under the backseats.

If anyone has suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:12 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by cdmorten
I just got a 2012 F150 XLT. I think it just has the basic stereo in it. To me, it's a bit mid range sounding with muddy bass.

Any suggestions on if I can get some decent sound out of it by just changing the speaker configuration instead of doing a full stereo/speaker swap?

I was thinking that maybe adding a sub and an amp may free up the rest of the speakers to pump out midrange and treble. I don't want a giant sub in there as I don't want to take up a ton of room. I'd love it to be able to fit under the backseats.

If anyone has suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks.
Yes just add a sub. Many ideas in this forum. Self contained or with a separate amp.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:12 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Wyo11Scab
Yes just add a sub. Many ideas in this forum. Self contained or with a separate amp.
I'm in the same boat, and I'm sure it's going to take more than a sub to clean up the sonic disaster in my truck. No bass, muddy mids, and no top end. I think I'm going to upgrade front and rear speakers first, then maybe add a powered sub. For speakers, I've been looking at JL Audio C5-570s for the front (so I can use the pillar tweet location) and either JBL GTO8608Cs or Infinity 682.9CFs in the rear.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:16 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by mike d
I'm in the same boat, and I'm sure it's going to take more than a sub to clean up the sonic disaster in my truck. No bass, muddy mids, and no top end. I think I'm going to upgrade front and rear speakers first, then maybe add a powered sub. For speakers, I've been looking at JL Audio C5-570s for the front (so I can use the pillar tweet location) and either JBL GTO8608Cs or Infinity 682.9CFs in the rear.
I upgraded the door speakers to kickers also. Sorry I forgot to mention that. Between them and adding the sub it helped a lot.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by mike d

That's probably a good start point. Can you tell me if those speakers happen to fit the existing slots in the F150's? I don't know much about audio. As far as the wiring goes, is it as easy as unplugging the old speakers and plugging those wires into the new ones?
Old 01-29-2013, 12:14 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's probably a good start point. Can you tell me if those speakers happen to fit the existing slots in the F150's? I don't know much about audio. As far as the wiring goes, is it as easy as unplugging the old speakers and plugging those wires into the new ones?
Crutchfield sells wiring harness where it will be essentially plug and play. Also if you order from Crutchfield they will provide you with assistance.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Wyo11Scab
I upgraded the door speakers to kickers also. Sorry I forgot to mention that. Between them and adding the sub it helped a lot.
What are kickers? And what brand did you get?
Old 01-30-2013, 10:01 PM

Received 456 Likes on 280 Posts

What are kickers? And what brand did you get?
Really ??? Hahaha ! Kicker is the brand wow!!!!
Old 01-30-2013, 10:14 PM

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

I suggest PowerBass (brand) and they have a 6x8 sized speakers that will fit in our trucks. I put those in mine, but they are amped, and they sound amazing. BUT I had to put spacers on them or else my window would only go down so far . . . And I would just go all out, because once you start adding a little sound stuff, you just want more, but thats just my opinion.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by geno51
Really ??? Hahaha ! Kicker is the brand wow!!!!
Oh thanks...didn't know.

Quick Reply: Need to upgrade the sound in my 2012 F150