Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Need some more suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 05:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Need some more suggestions

I already have a jl 10w3 that I plan on putting in my 2010 screw lariat (Sony/Nav) wanna keep stock HU and was thinking jl all th way through . cleansweep, a jl 5 channel amp and also jl component speakers. I don't have much experience with a large number of different Companies and have Been impressed in the past with jl but I don't want to be closed minded about it. So my question to you guys is, is all jl products worth the money? Or can I get similar quality from other company's for less money? And if so what do you suggest. I've notice in a lot of threads that not a lot of people are running jl component speakers
Old 07-16-2012, 07:07 AM

Or would a line driver do what I need to hook up all my stuff for less money?
Old 07-16-2012, 07:05 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

You could use the PAC FRD24 to get the low level outputs for your amp. Thast would save you some $$. JL makes a great product. and pricey!
Old 07-16-2012, 07:10 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

JL makes great products and you pay a little extra for it. I have done a few full JL only installs (just did a full JL system in a boat) and have heard many and have always been impressed.

That said, there are so many options its like ice cream...everyone has their favorite flavor. Secondly, opinions are like *****holes...everyone has one...

If its what you like and your comfortable with it go for it.

I have recently been through the Massive Audio RK 6's which were great. Strong mid-bass, little bright on the highs and can take a ton of power.

Fosgate Punch and T Series are also great component sets and some of my favorites if your not looking to spend allot of money.

Polks and Infinity are popular here. I don't care for either but that's just me.

Upgrading the Sony system has its challenges. I would do some searching or see if someone here that has upgraded one chimes in.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:16 PM

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Wyo11Scab
You could use the PAC FRD24 to get the low level outputs for your amp. Thast would save you some $$. JL makes a great product. and pricey!
PAC won't work with the Sony
Old 07-17-2012, 01:22 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Jumping in here... you need a DSP to sum the signal from your HU. At least, that would be my guess. I have no experience with Sony's, so unless you can isolate the HU's outs (HP and LP (sub)), you would need to sum the signal.

As far as JL audio... they make good stuff. I'm sure it'll be a good set up.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Guinness68
Jumping in here... you need a DSP to sum the signal from your HU. At least, that would be my guess. I have no experience with Sony's, so unless you can isolate the HU's outs (HP and LP (sub)), you would need to sum the signal.
The Sony system is a little different than that.

The HU feeds two signals to the Sony DSP/High-Mids amp, a full range stereo signal (I assume low/RCA level) and a Nav signal (I'd assume this is also low/RCA level). The Sony DSP/Amp outputs at speaker level: FL/FR Tweeter, FL/FR Mid, Instrument panel, RL/RR Full (I assume high passed around 80 hz); and a low level sub signal to the sub's amp under the rear seat.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jl amps for sure. I got two amps for highs and lows and two 10w3v3, but Boston components. Kappa coaxial. Never heard jl speakers but I really like the kappas for the money.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:06 PM

This Sony crap is tying my mind in knots. I was beginning to understand processor but now I guess I need to read up on summing? I have no idea what that is. And that would be even more expense buying a summing device. I'm starting to lean towards just packing the enclosure with poly fill and leaving it at that. I feel like I might be getting in over my head with all this stuff lol. And I'm sure install and a local shop would be an arm and leg.

Last edited by dcalicotte03; 07-17-2012 at 03:34 PM.
Old 07-17-2012, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by dcalicotte03
This Sony crap is tying my mind in knots. I was beginning to understand processor but now I guess I need to read up on summing? I have no idea what that is. And that would be even more expense buying a summing device.
The Sony DSP/Amp basically splits your regular full-range signal into a "3-way" signal (lows, mids, and highs). To get back to a full range signal from that, you would need a "summing device" that basically performs the opposite function, it combines, or sums, the three signals into one full range signal.

I haven't done it personally, but based on the wiring diagrams, I assume that the input to the Sony DSP/Amp is a full range, stereo low level signal. That is exactly what you want to feed an aftermarket amp, and without the need for expensive processors and the added noise of amping and the lowering the signal.

If you decide to stick with just working with the sub, you're actually lucking out. You can install an aftermarket amp, box, and sub without even taking out the head unit. The Sony system sends a low/RCA level signal and a turn on back to the Sony sub. All you have to do is add a RCA jack to the end of the signal wire and add a relay to use the 5V turn on signal and you're good to go.
The following users liked this post:
dcalicotte03 (07-17-2012)

Quick Reply: Need some more suggestions