Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Need some help!

Old 12-16-2013, 05:11 PM

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Default Need some help!

Alright guys, so here's my problem.

This past January/February, I began to order parts for my system. I decided on 4 speakers, 2 subs, and an amp. I ordered 2 pairs of Polk Audio db571 6x8 for the doors, and 2 JL 10W0v3-4 in a Fox Box. I ordered the amp & subs from Sonic Electronix, speakers/amp kit from Crutchfield, and Fox Box from themselves. It was all ordered on 02-27-2013. I received everything within a couple weeks and did the install myself with the help of my dad. Everything worked fine, install went smooth, and that was that.

Later sometime in June, I had a friend looking at my system. Just wanted to see what I did, what equipment I used, etc. Being the genius he is (lots of sarcasm here ) he wanted to try and "rewire" stuff to get me "a better sound". Long story short, he blew my amp. Completely fried it and it wouldn't even turn on from another power source. I contacted Sonic, explained the situation, and they said they would look at the amp, and let me know if they could repair it or if I would get a refurb, free of charge (plus shipping). Roughly 2 weeks after I shipped my amp to Sonic (located in Cali., sent to them 06-25-2013) they emailed me back, explained that I needed a new amp, but that they would replace it, free of charge (plus shipping).

I received the second amp within a few days of them contacting me (I do not remember the exact date) and installed it again. I used the wiring I had the first time, when the system worked for approximately 3 months, until my friend butchered it From the moment I installed the amp, there was some feedback/interference of some sort. I let it go, because I was tired of waiting around for a replacement amp, and didn't want to go through the hassle again.

Here's the dilemma: I went to a local custom shop to have everything re-wired, hoping to get rid of the feedback/interference happening. However, they told me that my amp was bad again, and I needed a new one.
How should I go about resolving this issue? Should I contact Sonic, explain everything to them, and see what they have to say? Should I try going to another shop to see what they have to say about it? The amp still works, everything is OKAY, just not the quality I was going for.

Thanks for any help, I apologize for the lengthy-ness of the story. Any suggestions are much appreciated!
Old 12-16-2013, 05:48 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by Benhicks24
Alright guys, so here's my problem.

This past January/February, I began to order parts for my system. I decided on 4 speakers, 2 subs, and an amp. I ordered 2 pairs of Polk Audio db571 6x8 for the doors, and 2 JL 10W0v3-4 in a Fox Box. I ordered the amp & subs from Sonic Electronix, speakers/amp kit from Crutchfield, and Fox Box from themselves. It was all ordered on 02-27-2013. I received everything within a couple weeks and did the install myself with the help of my dad. Everything worked fine, install went smooth, and that was that.

Later sometime in June, I had a friend looking at my system. Just wanted to see what I did, what equipment I used, etc. Being the genius he is (lots of sarcasm here ) he wanted to try and "rewire" stuff to get me "a better sound". Long story short, he blew my amp. Completely fried it and it wouldn't even turn on from another power source. I contacted Sonic, explained the situation, and they said they would look at the amp, and let me know if they could repair it or if I would get a refurb, free of charge (plus shipping). Roughly 2 weeks after I shipped my amp to Sonic (located in Cali., sent to them 06-25-2013) they emailed me back, explained that I needed a new amp, but that they would replace it, free of charge (plus shipping).

I received the second amp within a few days of them contacting me (I do not remember the exact date) and installed it again. I used the wiring I had the first time, when the system worked for approximately 3 months, until my friend butchered it From the moment I installed the amp, there was some feedback/interference of some sort. I let it go, because I was tired of waiting around for a replacement amp, and didn't want to go through the hassle again.

Here's the dilemma: I went to a local custom shop to have everything re-wired, hoping to get rid of the feedback/interference happening. However, they told me that my amp was bad again, and I needed a new one.
How should I go about resolving this issue? Should I contact Sonic, explain everything to them, and see what they have to say? Should I try going to another shop to see what they have to say about it? The amp still works, everything is OKAY, just not the quality I was going for.

Thanks for any help, I apologize for the lengthy-ness of the story. Any suggestions are much appreciated!
Maybe the amp isn't bad and they want to sell you a new one. Have you tried new RCA cables? Just throw them over the seat to the amp instead of running them under the carpet. Also since you put the amp in I would suggest getting another amp yourself and putting it in. Won't take long.
Old 12-16-2013, 05:49 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What amp is it? If you ordered a cheap amp it might never get rid of the feedback problem or the burn issue. But always take a free replacement. Just sell it and buy a better new one if its not a good brand amp.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Wyo11Scab
Maybe the amp isn't bad and they want to sell you a new one. Have you tried new RCA cables? Just throw them over the seat to the amp instead of running them under the carpet. Also since you put the amp in I would suggest getting another amp yourself and putting it in. Won't take long.
Originally Posted by Hod913
What amp is it? If you ordered a cheap amp it might never get rid of the feedback problem or the burn issue. But always take a free replacement. Just sell it and buy a better new one if its not a good brand amp.
Wyo, I haven't tried any new RCA's. I haven't really tried troubleshooting at all, I just went directly to them and they told me I needed a new one. I would most likely do another install myself, since I got it to work correctly the first time. I'd just be sure to take my time with it. The shop said the install would be $150, $50* for wiring, and $50* for amp install kit (* if needed. They were "unsure").
The amp is a Kenwood KAC-7005PS. I'm sure it isn't the greatest amp, because it was only about $200, but it is a Kenwood which I believe is a pretty reputable brand.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:11 PM

Received 308 Likes on 247 Posts

how did the friend re-wire everything to help get a better sound? If anything to get a better sound, he just needed to adjust the wires if bridging needed to be done or adjust the gains, x-over and whatnot on the amp itself. not re-wire the whole darn thing. waste of time and maybe money if he bought new wires. if he didn't then I really don't understand what or why he did what he did.

besides the fact, i'd check the warranty on the amp. call Sonic and see about another replacement.

Last edited by yanki01; 12-16-2013 at 06:13 PM.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:13 PM

also, try troubleshooting. are you getting any power? try different RCA's. change speaker wires. my old elemental designs amp had a bad channel. before I was about to jump the gun and either buy a new amp or speakers (which I original thought was the problem), I just bridged them and all works now.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by yanki01
how did the friend re-wire everything to help get a better sound? If anything to get a better sound, he just needed to adjust the wires if bridging needed to be done or adjust the gains, x-over and whatnot on the amp itself. not re-wire the whole darn thing. waste of time and maybe money if he bought new wires. if he didn't then I really don't understand what or why he did what he did.

besides the fact, i'd check the warranty on the amp. call Sonic and see about another replacement.
also, try troubleshooting. are you getting any power? try different RCA's. change speaker wires. my old elemental designs amp had a bad channel. before I was about to jump the gun and either buy a new amp or speakers (which I original thought was the problem), I just bridged them and all works now.
The friend (the dummy that he is) was trying to bridge them, I believe, (not too knowledgeable about bridging) and got some wires crossed somewhere, the speakers made a loud "pop", and the amp died. Idk exactly what happened, but the first amp wouldn't turn on for anything, no safe-mode, no nothing. So I got the second amp. Since the second one, there has been constant buzzing, and that's what I was trying to fix. So today I went to the shop, and they said I needed a new one. I think I'll contact Sonic tomorrow and see what they say about replacing it.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:22 PM

loud buzz or light hmmmm? could be bad RCA's or bad ground. Gain may also be set too high. lower that to less than half and see if it goes away. turn on the radio but no music and see if it's a hmm or buzz.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:36 PM

loud buzz or light hmmmm? could be bad RCA's or bad ground. Gain may also be set too high. lower that to less than half and see if it goes away. turn on the radio but no music and see if it's a hmm or buzz.
It's hard to differentiate between a buzz or hmmmm. Lol. Gains are set between 1/4 and 1/2 for every channel. With radio on, no music, the noise is still there. That's what is the most annoying. Even when I mute the radio, the sound is still there.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:25 PM
DVS

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

how is your amp hooked up? aftermarket or stock deck? is the remote wire power wire and rya wires all run together? how is the amp grounded? firstly if the rca and remote wire are run together it can cause interference which causes the humming sound as well as having a live power wire running along side the rca's. go out and buy a decent pair or rca cables and try the channels, my biggest question is where are u getting the hum from? subs speakers? because if your getting the hum from your speakers and there running off of your factory or aftermarket head unit then thats a totally different issue all together

Search this Thread