Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Need some basic advice on amps

Old 03-04-2013, 07:52 PM

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Need some basic advice on amps

I just put a cheap Kenwood head unit in my 92 XLT. I also replaced the ratty factory speakers with some 5 1/4" fronts, and 6 1/2" rears I had (cheapies that came with the head unit and another hu I put in another vehicle).

The head is 50wattx4 mosfet. I put an almost identical setup in my old truck, but it was a Pioneer cheapo package. It sounded great, for what it was. This new Kenwood, not so much.

It just sounds like garbage. I don't expect much out of a setup like this, but this one is...well...garbage. I'd love to get it sounding at least as good as a factory system in a somewhat newer vehicle. So, I'm thinking a 4-channel amp might be in order. Can anyone suggest a decent, inexpensive amp? What are the specs I should be looking for? Most of the ones I've seen cost well over $100 and rated about the same power as my head unit pushes!
Old 03-04-2013, 08:34 PM

Received 523 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by broncojunkie

The head is 50wattx4 mosfet. I
50 watts is the max output(nearly a made up number). Realistically it is probably about 12watts rms. Always go by "rms" when looking at wattage.

Since you got the speakers with the HU, I would assume they are rated above 50watts rms each. So you will need any 4-channel amp that can power 4x 50watts rms.

Good price on one here, with free warranty and shipping.
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_777M405...ce-M-4050.html
Old 03-04-2013, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by ibd2328
50 watts is the max output(nearly a made up number). Realistically it is probably about 12watts rms. Always go by "rms" when looking at wattage.

Since you got the speakers with the HU, I would assume they are rated above 50watts rms each. So you will need any 4-channel amp that can power 4x 50watts rms.

Good price on one here, with free warranty and shipping.
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_777M405...ce-M-4050.html
Wow. Thank you, and you are correct! This head is rated 22watts rms. Please excuse my ignorance on car audio.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:53 PM

Received 523 Likes on 386 Posts

Here is a cheaper one.
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...s-GLX60.4.html

However, I would stick with Crutchfield and get the better amp, and true warranty. They also have 60day return policy. If you dont like it, send it back.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:04 AM

Well, I ended up buying this:

75 watts x 4 (rms)

$71 shipped, although I had to spend close to that for 8gauge wiring kit, extra set of rca's, line out connector, and speaker wire. I got plenty of time on my hands since my company dr won't let me go back to work (they think my ticker is bad, but my own dr says they're idiots..so I'm on vacation.) I'll be working on the install tomorrow.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:53 AM

Received 538 Likes on 448 Posts

would of went with a more reputable brand than a walmart special. You get what you pay for, however it doesnt sound like you want anything extravagant so this will do just fine.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by zimmer0
would of went with a more reputable brand than a walmart special. You get what you pay for, however it doesnt sound like you want anything extravagant so this will do just fine.
Yep. I was looking for cheap. But believe it or not, I've had really good luck with Jensen in the past. I really wasn't expecting much with this amp, but I have to admit that it appears to be much better quality than similar models I looked at in stores. It's heavy, well-built, and even the finish is nice. Of course the proof is in the sound, so we'll see...but I'm definitely impressed so far.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:17 PM

Got it all hooked up. Sounded pretty good, but speakers started cooking at about half way turned up. I'm going to need some better speakers.

Should I be looking for something rated at 75w rms? Higher? Most of the 6.5" speakers I see are only 30-50w rms.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:32 AM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by broncojunkie
Got it all hooked up. Sounded pretty good, but speakers started cooking at about half way turned up. I'm going to need some better speakers.

Should I be looking for something rated at 75w rms? Higher? Most of the 6.5" speakers I see are only 30-50w rms.
The speakers that came with the head unit probably aren't too good. Get something with higher RMS power handling. Check out crutchfield for good advice.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Wyo11Scab
The speakers that came with the head unit probably aren't too good. Get something with higher RMS power handling. Check out crutchfield for good advice.
Yes. I've been digging through all the info at Crutchfield. I think I'm more confused now, lol! I was trying to keep things simple...4 full-range spwakers, a 4-channel amp. The only problem I seem to have now is that the speakers I need seem to not really exist. The higher rms 6.5" speakers are almost exclusively "component" models, with separate tweeters. Also, pretty expensive.

After some research,I figured that I can go this route for less $, but not sure enough to take the plunge:

I think my rear speakers are ok, but fronts might be damaged. I can buy another matching set of speakers for the front and hook up all four speakers to channels 1&2 (series or parallel?). Then, bridge channels 3&4 and get me a sub. The amp is fully bridgeable with high and low pass filters built-in.

Suggestions? What started out as a simple upgrade is turning into a giant, expensive headache.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need some basic advice on amps