Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Need Some Advice to Finish Off System (Sub Questions)

Old 01-24-2012, 09:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Some Advice to Finish Off System (Sub Questions)

I recently got around to upgrading my 2011 FX4 SCrew base stereo system. I elected to install some Alpine Type R component speakers in the front and Type R coaxials in the rear, powered by an Alpine 4 x 100 watt amp. I still have the stock HU and used the PAC module to retain Sync.

The good news is the install went well. The highs & mids have are a major upgrade over the base system. I wanted to do upgrade these first in case I thought I'd be happy with it and not want a sub.

So, of course, the bad news is now that the mids & highs sound great, I want to add a sub to round out the system. Thus, I'm looking for opinions on my options. Ideally, I'd like to use as little space as possible under the rear seats.

I've done quite a bit of research and have sort of narrowed my choices. The JL stealthbox would be perfect, but it's just too much $$ to justify. I've thought about going with a box from Supercrewsounds.com and adding my own sub(s), but I also would like to hide the amp. When I had my other speakers installed, the shop recommended finding a powered sub because of the difficulty they had finding a place for the amp (eventually ended up under the driver's seat.

The two options I'm looking at now are 1) the MTX Thunderform that is loaded and amplified or 2) a box/sub/amp combo I found on Ebay.

Here is a link to the MTX:
http://www.techronics.com/caraudio_1...html?aff=72182

And the Ebay one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2009-2011-Fo...#ht_1288wt_952

Does anybody with experience have a recommendation on these (or other) options? Also, what is the best way to wire it into my current system?
Old 01-24-2012, 12:02 PM
Cant Stop Wont Stop

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Damn, those are good finds!!!
Old 01-24-2012, 05:23 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a loaded amplified Thunderform in my 2011 Scab. It sounds fantastic along with my stock head unit with upgraded speakers. I went with Infinity components in the front and standard co-axials in the rear. Get yourself a PAC Audio AOEM-FRD24 it plugs right in-line with your stock head unit harness and provides line outs that you can use for the sub.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by barkingspud
I have a loaded amplified Thunderform in my 2011 Scab. It sounds fantastic along with my stock head unit with upgraded speakers. I went with Infinity components in the front and standard co-axials in the rear. Get yourself a PAC Audio AOEM-FRD24 it plugs right in-line with your stock head unit harness and provides line outs that you can use for the sub.
Thanks. I actually do have the PAC already installed along with a 4 channel amp powering all 4 door speakers (comp in front and coax in rear).

Can I just hook up an amplified Thunderform by hooking it up to the battery and then wiring it into the rear channel speakers? A little confused on that point and whether I should go for 2 10"s instead.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by jdcFX
Thanks. I actually do have the PAC already installed along with a 4 channel amp powering all 4 door speakers (comp in front and coax in rear).

Can I just hook up an amplified Thunderform by hooking it up to the battery and then wiring it into the rear channel speakers? A little confused on that point and whether I should go for 2 10"s instead.

Get an RCA Y splitter for the PAC on the rear channel then connect the Sub. You can use the remote wire too. Wire the Sub directly to the battery. Doesn't matter what sub you wind up with as the wiring is basically the same.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:23 PM

Get an RCA Y splitter for the PAC on the rear channel then connect the Sub. You can use the remote wire too. Wire the Sub directly to the battery. Doesn't matter what sub you wind up with as the wiring is basically the same.
Thanks, that's exactly the info I needed. Can this be done at the 4 channel amp instead of the PAC module? Much appreciate the response. If it's a simple install, I'd like to avoid paying the shop to do it.

Elected to go with the amped & loaded MTX
Old 01-26-2012, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by jdcFX
Thanks, that's exactly the info I needed. Can this be done at the 4 channel amp instead of the PAC module? Much appreciate the response. If it's a simple install, I'd like to avoid paying the shop to do it.

Elected to go with the amped & loaded MTX
Sure. You could put the Y splitter there too. If the amp is already in the back where the Sub is, it will be so much simpler. I love the MTX. Unless you're looking to blow the windows ouf of your truck, it's a really good sub.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:00 PM

Sure. You could put the Y splitter there too. If the amp is already in the back where the Sub is, it will be so much simpler. I love the MTX. Unless you're looking to blow the windows ouf of your truck, it's a really good sub.
Great. The amp is under the driver's seat so I'll be in business. Won't need to worry about getting behind the HU. I'm getting too old to want to blow the windows out of my truck or even have the mirrors vibrate, so I'm hopeful that sub will be a good complement to the system.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:57 PM

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts

I went this route and couldn't be happier. Mine is a Scab thought.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KICKER-2010-...ht_3168wt_1185

Old 01-26-2012, 11:49 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the MTX thunderform but it isn't the powered one!!!! It's GREAT!!!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need Some Advice to Finish Off System (Sub Questions)