Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Need to be Rescued...

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 11:28 AM
Cars don't live here...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need to be Rescued...

Ok here goes.....replaced factory door speakers with 4 new Pioneer 6x8's. No fancy stuff, used the wires that came with the speakers and just tapped into the factory wires and left the factory harness there in case I wanted to take them out. Now....Hubby used his redneck talent to wire in an 8'' sub under the back seat. So with this, there is a ground to the back seat mount, a wire to the battery and a wire to the fuse panel.( I'm sure this is a sin in the audio world.) The last truck he did this to was his '03, mine is an '04. If there's one thing I've learned so far, it's that this '04 is differnt from his '03 in more than one way.
So on to the problem....power from some where is draining the battery. Had the battery checked and the alternator, both I was told were fine. Wires and connections are good. Nothing exposed. Disconected the the sub from the battery, so there shouldn't be power source there. Could it be pulling power from the radio? Which is ultimately conected to the battery. I'm guessing it needs to be wired different. At any rate, I've had to jump it every morning for the last 3 days, which is when this problem started.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MOST likely he tapped into an always hot fuse circuit so amp is always powered on. remote wire (this is the wire that powers on amp) needs to be tapped into panel on a switched relay (dead when key is out, hot when key is on)

check this first
Old 03-08-2011, 12:12 PM
Cars don't live here...

Originally Posted by bennyfromvegas
MOST likely he tapped into an always hot fuse circuit so amp is always powered on. remote wire (this is the wire that powers on amp) needs to be tapped into panel on a switched relay (dead when key is out, hot when key is on)

check this first
Ok, did this before we started, what can I check next??
Old 03-08-2011, 01:56 PM
First Tiger of G.R.O.S.S.

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Disconnect the sub AND disconnect the fuse-panel connection and see if the problem persists.

I agree with the other poster. It sounds like the amp is on unswitched power and that is causing it to drain the battery. I assume he used a line out converter (LOC) to connect the sub to the rear speakers, if not, how did he tap in for line-level inputs for the amp?

The factory HU will not draw power with the key off... so it is definitely in the "redneck" wiring somewhere.
Old 03-08-2011, 02:10 PM
Cars don't live here...

Originally Posted by Hobbes80
Disconnect the sub AND disconnect the fuse-panel connection and see if the problem persists.

I agree with the other poster. It sounds like the amp is on unswitched power and that is causing it to drain the battery. I assume he used a line out converter (LOC) to connect the sub to the rear speakers, if not, how did he tap in for line-level inputs for the amp?

The factory HU will not draw power with the key off... so it is definitely in the "redneck" wiring somewhere.
Git er Done, Right???? From what I can tell, he put the wire directly into the slot where the fuse goes. Didn't wire into the fuse panel. And there is some sort of converter box between the sub and the other wires running down the door jam. Please let me have patience.... We're gonna get this done.. ty for the help. I agree with your theory btw, but he has to figure it out on his own...That's just the way it is.

Last edited by whiskey; 03-08-2011 at 02:16 PM.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Good lord...
Old 03-08-2011, 09:59 PM
Cars don't live here...

Originally Posted by bigshane90
Good lord...
tell me about it, don't you feel sorry for me, lol
Old 03-08-2011, 10:02 PM
DIY

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

if you are going to tap in a fuse, you should use something like this (a fuse tap)...keep it clean...
Old 03-08-2011, 11:03 PM
Cars don't live here...

Originally Posted by picaflor
if you are going to tap in a fuse, you should use something like this (a fuse tap)...keep it clean...
yes it is. I will have to get some of these. Thank you.. I can find these where now..?? Local parts store
or is it something special. Sorry for sounding dumb, not trying to be a stupid gurl. I want to learn all I can. I think after all is said and done, I'll know just as much about my truck as any other man.

Last edited by whiskey; 03-08-2011 at 11:09 PM.