Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Need opinion on subs in a 2013 SuperCrew

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 10:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need opinion on subs in a 2013 SuperCrew

I am looking to upgrade from the factory sub. It is very disappointing. I am not looking for anything crazy, no need to have competition quality stuff. Just looking for simple system that will give me good quality sound. My idea:

I want to place two 8" inch subs in a sealed forward facing box. I only want the box to take up about half of the space under the seat because I want to keep room for storage. I plan on building the box myself.

I was thinking about going with the Alpine 8" Type R subs. Mounting depth is only 4.5 inches and only requires .3 cuft per sub so they should work for a box this small. I have heard great things about these and I know Alpine has quality equipment. Picture for reference:

So, I personally think these would work well for what I want to do. It has been a while since I have done any work with car audio, so I want to know what other people think of these. Also, I would have to decided between 2 ohm and 4 ohm. Which one would be better for this and why?

Then, it comes to pairing an amp to work with these subs. Opinions?

And finally, a more general question. Has anyone mounted an amp behind the rear seat. It seems like there is plenty of space to fit a moderately sized amp. But is there enough ventilation behind the seat to keep the amp from overheating?

I know this is a long post but I want to get all the details worked out before I start purchasing the equipment I need. I appreciated the responses.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:53 PM
TK5

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Looks like a good choice for subs, have not heard these, but they seem to get great reviews. There is plenty of room behind the seats and have not had any issues with overheating. Choosing between dual 2ohm or dual 4 ohm subs would depend on what amplifier you go with. What is your budget for the amplifier?

Old 01-31-2014, 10:59 PM
TK5

I would look for an amplifier around 600-800 watts rms. If you buy two dual 2ohm subs then you will have a final impedance of 2ohms and two dual 4ohm subs would be 4ohms or 1ohm.
Old 02-01-2014, 12:54 AM
Happy new owner

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I am sort of in the middle of my install but I put in a JL Audio CP208LG-W3v3 dual 8" microsub with a JL Audio JX 500/1D mono amp. The sub sounds great so far and the amp is tiny which fit just fine behind the rear seats. If I remember I'll post some pictures of the subs tomorrow. They fit perfectly under there back seats and come in a pre-made box.
Attached Thumbnails Need opinion on subs in a 2013 SuperCrew-image.jpg  
Old 02-01-2014, 02:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TK5
What is your budget for the amplifier?

Trying to not go overboard, so I am trying to keep it under $200.

About 8 years ago, I installed two 12" Rockford Fosgate P1 subs with an off brand name amp (can't remember the name right now). The subs were 300W and the amp 600W. I spent about $400 total with box and installation. The system sounded really good for what I paid and is still working today (my brother has it now). Essentially, this is what I am shooting for again.

Another question: how do you think it would sound with only one of the Alpine subs?
Old 02-01-2014, 05:09 PM

Received 169 Likes on 137 Posts

The typeR subs are nice. If I was doing 2 8s I would run them ported for more output. 2 8s dont provide much cone area. As far as 2 ohm vs 4 ohm neither is inherently "better". You need to match the subs to your amp. If your amp puts out max power into 1ohm, you need the D4 subs. 2ohm amp needs d2 subs
Old 02-01-2014, 10:22 PM
TK5

Originally Posted by NOLA FX4
Trying to not go overboard, so I am trying to keep it under $200.

About 8 years ago, I installed two 12" Rockford Fosgate P1 subs with an off brand name amp (can't remember the name right now). The subs were 300W and the amp 600W. I spent about $400 total with box and installation. The system sounded really good for what I paid and is still working today (my brother has it now). Essentially, this is what I am shooting for again.

Another question: how do you think it would sound with only one of the Alpine subs?

If you are used to two 12" subs, then you might not be happy with one 8" sub. If you are going with eights, then I would definitely port them to get the most output. For about a hundred buck more you could get the JL Audio ported dual eight set up.
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_13628LW...v3.html?tp=112
For an amp under $200.00 with plenty of power and staple down to 1 ohm I would try the MTX.
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_236TD1K....html?tp=35834
Old 02-02-2014, 02:06 PM
Happy new owner

Here are my JL Audio dual 8"'s under the rear passenger seat, they can't be all the way to one side as the bumps on the edge of the bottom of the seat will dent the grills so I have them more to the center. Seats go down all the way just fine and I haven't raised the seats at all. Its all still a little messy because I'm not done all the wiring yet so no judging!
Attached Thumbnails Need opinion on subs in a 2013 SuperCrew-img_0204.jpg  
Old 02-02-2014, 02:33 PM

Received 169 Likes on 137 Posts

I wonder if you couldn't flip that jl box over and add so.e feet to it and make it down firing?
Old 02-02-2014, 05:28 PM
Happy new owner

Don't see why not, I don't really understand the benefit of down firing because every vehicle I've had before has had a trunk so this whole business of having the subwoofer in the back seat with me is quite new. Haha

Quick Reply: Need opinion on subs in a 2013 SuperCrew