Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Need help with subs and amp setup

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 05:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with subs and amp setup

Hello guys and ladies . 1st let me apologize in advance for my user name.... Its the same in every forum i use and it makes it easier for me to remember lol....

Ok so here goes..... A buddy of mine has a 2009 f150 extended cab.
He removed the rear seats and had some friends build him a custom fiber glass box to hold four dual 4ohm kicker l7's and he is pushing these with a power ackoustik 5500 mono block d amp.

When the box was near completion (everything except paint) , they test fitted it in the truck and the box sounded great. Now after it has been painted, installed and wired up correctly it sounds like garbage! Just for comparison : I have a single 12'' slim pioneer with a 600 watt/300rms amp in my chevy and in my opinion mine seems to be hitting harder.

His box is ported, but what i believe happened was : The box flexed so much that the air is now being pushed out the seams of the bottom of the box and this is why it is not hitting hard??? When i put my hand under the box i can feel air . Any advice? Could the speakers be blown? How can i test it?

I will take pics and post dimensions soon.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:44 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by htx86chevy
Hello guys and ladies . 1st let me apologize in advance for my user name.... Its the same in every forum i use and it makes it easier for me to remember lol....

Ok so here goes..... A buddy of mine has a 2009 f150 extended cab.
He removed the rear seats and had some friends build him a custom fiber glass box to hold four dual 4ohm kicker l7's and he is pushing these with a power ackoustik 5500 mono block d amp.

When the box was near completion (everything except paint) , they test fitted it in the truck and the box sounded great. Now after it has been painted, installed and wired up correctly it sounds like garbage! Just for comparison : I have a single 12'' slim pioneer with a 600 watt/300rms amp in my chevy and in my opinion mine seems to be hitting harder.

His box is ported, but what i believe happened was : The box flexed so much that the air is now being pushed out the seams of the bottom of the box and this is why it is not hitting hard??? When i put my hand under the box i can feel air . Any advice? Could the speakers be blown? How can i test it?

I will take pics and post dimensions soon.
Unusual the box would over flex being a ported design, but anything is possible. Also why would it have seams if it was a custom fiberglass enclosure, unless it was partially made from mdf. I say remove and inspect.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:17 PM

Yes, I believe the bottom was constructed with mdf to start and then the guys fiber glassed up and over (hope this make sense)
Old 10-05-2011, 02:16 AM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by htx86chevy
The box flexed so much that the air is now being pushed out the seams of the bottom of the box and this is why it is not hitting hard??? When i put my hand under the box i can feel air .
The only place you should be feeling air coming is through the ported holes, anywhere else and thats not good cuz your losin pressure(bass) through the main ported holes which gives you that good deep bass. Also for good and loud sound you cant just drill any size hole in any size box and expect it to sound awsome, i forgot the exact measurements but for however many cubic inches your box is the holes should only be a certain size diameter. Be precise and careful when you make your own or get a custom box, ive seen wwaay too many DIY ported boxes that sound like complete s#*t compared to my factory made single 10" ported box/sub because they didnt measure the ported holes they drilled

Last edited by Tonelocs47; 10-05-2011 at 02:22 AM.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:19 PM

that makes alot of sense. So I guess we will try to seal up all the gaps and try to reduce as much air loss possible...

just an Update though: we went and bought a single ported box from the audio shop just to test out the individual speakers and rule out the speakers being blown and even with this new box they sound like trash. the speakers rattle and sound blown..... is their anyway to repair this or are we SOL? all 4 sound the same. even hooked the speakers up to my amp in my truck to rule out any wiring issues that his truck might have been causing.... any advice? did he just loose 1200.00 on speakers?
Old 10-05-2011, 12:30 PM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

With 4 speakers, especially in a single chambered box, it is an absolute MUST, to have all the speakers wired properly. If one of them is out of phase, it will cancel the others. Make sure they're all wired properly ... and like toneloc said, make sure everything is sealed, except the ports.

Quick Reply: Need help with subs and amp setup