Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Need help with speaker question!!! ASAP

Old 02-22-2011, 11:01 PM

Received 1,523 Likes on 1,203 Posts
Default Need help with speaker question!!! ASAP

I just installed a Kenwood DDX616 in my 2010, I found a good deal on some Infinity Kappa 682.9 cf's and snatched them up.

I was all excited and happy and received them today and read the info sheet and realized they are a 2 ohm speaker and my deck is a 4-8 ohm output, am I still able to run these or will I fry the internal amp.

If it will harm my system I guess I will cut my losses and sell them off to someone brand new in the box.

Also if they wont work what do you guys recommend? I do not plan to add an amp right now but will in the future. I don't want seperate 6 1/2's but want to stick with stock size.

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:35 PM

"True Four Ohms— All Kappa speakers feature two ohm voice coils. Original factory-installed speaker wiring in many cars is 18-22 gauge. This wire, and heating in the voice coil when power is applied, increase the impedance “seen” by the amplifier or head unit. The impedance of Kappa Speakers has been adjusted to compensate for this increase and can be safely driven by any head unit"

I just found this on their website but I want to be safe and not blow up my deck. I will be using the stock wire.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:32 AM
First Tiger of G.R.O.S.S.

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

They are 4 ohm load... check here:
http://www.crutchfield.com/s_1086829...ty+Kappa+682.9

Scroll down the "specs and features"... you will be fine.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:52 AM

Thanks for the reply. I belive they are 2 ohm because it says it in the paper work that came with the speakers in the box. It seems really confusing, on the outside of the box it shows a 4 with a symbol that I assume is for ohms (horseshoe looking) but in the paper work it clearly states 2 ohms but then on their website it has that info above.

I talked with a crutchfield agent and they confirmed that they are 2 ohm but with the resistance in the wire that the HU will see a 4 ohm load and will not harm the HU.

Just nervous as I dont want to mess up my HU.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:01 PM
First Tiger of G.R.O.S.S.

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

if you are really nervous, you could pop the face place off your dash, unplug the harness from the radio and use an Ohm meter to measure the resistance of the wire between your harness and the plug in the door...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need help with speaker question!!! ASAP