Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Need help finding the right amp.

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 11:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need help finding the right amp.

I need help finding an appropriate amp for the replacement door speakers that I have found. I need specifics like brand, watts, # of channels, etc.
Here are the specs for the speakers:
  • 6" X 8" Coaxial Speakers
  • 450W Max; 110W Rms
  • Kenwood Kfc-C6893Ps 6" X 8" Performance Series Custom-Fit Speaker System
  • Diamond Array Cone
  • Image Enhancer Iv Technology

I don't know very much about amps and all, but I have done some minor stereo installs before.

Is there a way to connect to the amp without pulling the head unit. Sorry, but I will need specific details about how to get the amp hooked up.
Old 11-11-2010, 02:27 AM
Audio Junkie

What deck do you have? the stock unit the best bet is to get a amp that has high level imputs. And you should just look at the RMS wattage. You dont want to go over that. So shoot for a amp that has around 100 watts RMS. And here go to onlinecarstereo.com. Then just check out some of those amps.

Check out the Boss amplifiers. I think there ok or maybe go with Kenwood or infinity. The best amplifier I have ever had was an alpine. maybe look up some of them. Oh and because you want to have your other two channels for a sub. I would maybe go with maybe a little more watts per channel. To make sure you dont hurt your speakers turn the gains down to compensate. Also make sure the amp you take out is bridgable.

Look at this amp. http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...o_NX30004.aspx

I think what this is saying is at 300 watts RMS will be going to your speakers which is a lot. So i would suggest turning the gains way down. But you can bridge the other two channels to your sub and then you will have 1500 watts Max to your sub. Which is pretty good. This seems like a very strong amp especially for the price. I would look at this one.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:28 AM

Thanks for the detailed help, and the websites to find the things that I need.
Old 11-12-2010, 02:46 PM
Converted

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Amp Sizing

To determine the size of amp for any given set of speakers, you need to compare the RMS wattage of the speaker input, to the RMS wattage output of the amplifier, (NOT MAX IN'S AND OUTS) try and keep these within 10% of each other, too high an output from the amp will blow the speakers, to low an output from amp for the speakers will cause the amp to start clipping the signal, resulting in distortion which will cause the amp to heatup and either cutout/shutdown or blow altogether. Not to mention the poor sound quality.

As you are using a factory HU you will have to tap onto the speaker outputs directly, thus needing an amp designed for "High" input, although these work, the sound quality will suffer. This is because any distortion generated by the factory HU will be amplified again via the amplifier.

There are sound translators which can be fitted between the speaker outputs of the factory HU and the amp. This will allow for distortion to be filtered and the signal to be converted to an RCA output, which then can be connected to an amp equiped with RCA inputs.

I believe that Sonic Electronix has a very broad selection of car audio equipment.
Old 11-13-2010, 03:25 AM
Audio Junkie

Clipping is only caused when you turn your gains on your amp to high. Clipping is never caused by what speaker is on the other end. But you should really watch your gain setting for this reason. Start low and adjust up till it sounds good. One way to set up your gains is turn them all the way down. Then turn your deck all the way up. Then turn the gains up slowly till desired level or till they sound best to you.
Old 11-13-2010, 01:00 PM
Converted

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KillerCam
Clipping is only caused when you turn your gains on your amp to high. Clipping is never caused by what speaker is on the other end. But you should really watch your gain setting for this reason. Start low and adjust up till it sounds good. One way to set up your gains is turn them all the way down. Then turn your deck all the way up. Then turn the gains up slowly till desired level or till they sound best to you.
You are correct, clipping will not happen until the gain on the amp is set high, the relationship to speakers would be, if the speaker has a far higher rating than the amp, the amps, gain will have to increased to drive the coils, thus resulting in a situation where the amp may be maxed out, causing it to start clipping the output voltage. So to be more correct, incorrect speaker selection ie 200 w RMS speaker coupled to a 100 W RMS amp would undoubtedly lead the operator to high gain settings resulting in output clipping and eventual amp death.

Quick Reply: Need help finding the right amp.