Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Need help choosing components

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 05:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Need help choosing components

Finally convinced my wife that I do need a backup camera and it's a better solution to get a new HU with aftermarket camera than getting the OEM camera and mirror. So now I need some help with picking out what I should have installed.

I have a 2012 XLT Screw with Sync. I do really like Sync and my first research was around a Kenwood deck with the iDatalink Maestro solution. Lately I've been wondering if I need to retain Sync. I love the voice commands, but I don't use any of the Sync apps so I'm not sure if a radio can still give me all of the voice commands for phone calls and music control.

So here is my wish list for a new system.
  • Double Din and can play videos. Being able to play from my phone (iPhone 5) would be a bonus
  • Voice commands for phone calls and playing music from my phone
  • bluetooth streaming music from my phone
  • able to connect backup camera
  • don't need navigation
  • able to connect future headrest or ceiling mount screen for movie watching is a bonus, but not a requirement
  • If Maestro is the best solution I would like the HU to be able to display the extra vehicle diagnostic screens like individual tire pressure
I think that about covers it. Is the Kenwood + Maestro the best solution or are there regular HU's that do all of those things? What camera would you go with? I'm not planning on upgrading any speakers at this time, but down the road I would probably upgrade the factory door speakers to something that sounds better. I would prefer to run them off the HU and not have to install an Amp. I would not be getting a sub.

One last question. I am not installing this myself (don't have the time or knowledge). The only place around that is a iDatalink dealer gave a rough estimate of $300-$350 for installation of a Kenwood+Maestro+backup camera installation, does that sound about right?

Thanks for the recommendations and let me know if I need to give any more info
Old 03-13-2014, 09:40 PM

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

I was in the same boat as you at one time and wanted your wants....and then some. Let's get the easy one out of the way, the following link is to a Ford backup camera that is reasonably priced and uses OEM parts. This is exactly what the factory does. I installed one a couple of weeks ago and am very pleased with the quality of both the parts and the image it displays.

https://camera-source.com/products/f...arket-displays

As for HU and Sync.....I can't tell you how much I hate the slow and inaccurate Sync, though I did retain it myself simply for bluetooth calling using MS-FRD1 and PAC-SWI. My next HU will have bluetooth and I will bypass Sync altogether.

With your qualifications, you are locking yourself into a Kenwood unit that will display the extra diagnostics you are looking for. With a Kenwood HU, Maestro Interface and the above camera, you will be good to go and achieve everything you want. You would also have the option of using the existing Sync bluetooth or Kenwood Bluetooth (I would recommend Kenwood) but you would need to install the mic that comes with the HU. Easily done and you can route a mic to the upper left corner of the windshield, you won't even see it. And through past testing with a Pioneer Appradio proved the sound quality on the receiver end was far superior to Sync.

If you could forego the diagnostics, I would recommend the Advent unit. It plugs directly into your existing harnesses and is the ultimate in factory look. It retains Sync and your steering wheel controls without an external interface, has an input for the backup camera and you could install it yourself with little effort.

Hope this helps with your decisions. Good Luck!
The following users liked this post:
hckymeyer (03-13-2014)
Old 03-13-2014, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by troutspinner
I was in the same boat as you at one time and wanted your wants....and then some. Let's get the easy one out of the way, the following link is to a Ford backup camera that is reasonably priced and uses OEM parts. This is exactly what the factory does. I installed one a couple of weeks ago and am very pleased with the quality of both the parts and the image it displays.

https://camera-source.com/products/f...arket-displays

As for HU and Sync.....I can't tell you how much I hate the slow and inaccurate Sync, though I did retain it myself simply for bluetooth calling using MS-FRD1 and PAC-SWI. My next HU will have bluetooth and I will bypass Sync altogether.

With your qualifications, you are locking yourself into a Kenwood unit that will display the extra diagnostics you are looking for. With a Kenwood HU, Maestro Interface and the above camera, you will be good to go and achieve everything you want. You would also have the option of using the existing Sync bluetooth or Kenwood Bluetooth (I would recommend Kenwood) but you would need to install the mic that comes with the HU. Easily done and you can route a mic to the upper left corner of the windshield, you won't even see it. And through past testing with a Pioneer Appradio proved the sound quality on the receiver end was far superior to Sync.

If you could forego the diagnostics, I would recommend the Advent unit. It plugs directly into your existing harnesses and is the ultimate in factory look. It retains Sync and your steering wheel controls without an external interface, has an input for the backup camera and you could install it yourself with little effort.

Hope this helps with your decisions. Good Luck!
That camera looks really nice, thanks for the link!

I could go either way on the diagnostics. They seem really cool, but in the end I'd probably never use the gauges and paying an extra $200 just to see individual tire pressure may be a little overkill.

I looked at the Advent unit and it's really nice, but also really expensive and I don't need the nav. I think I could get an entire system installed for the price of just the Advent HU.

So if I forget about retaining sync can I still use the steering wheel controls for radio functions and making calls? Are there HU's that work with voice commands for music?
Old 03-14-2014, 10:23 AM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

The Advent is plug and play. You can install it yourself. There is a great video on their website.
Old 03-14-2014, 11:22 AM

When I seen you post diagnotics, I immediately assumed one of the upper Kenwood models so I was thinking your HU budget was high. BUT!! Let's look at this a little further....

To retain Sync and SW Controls with an aftermarket unit, you would need a Maestro or comparable PAC products. That would be $150. The installer that quoted you said $350 for installation of products you would provide. You are $500 in (not including camera or HU). A decent HU is roughly $300 or more. You are close to where the Advent unit price is if you were to install this yourself. If you were to watch a few videos on opening up the dash, I would wager that you could install the Advent yourself in 30 minutes.

Call Walt at ADCmobile, last I spoke with him he had refurbished models that came with a nice price break. And with this unit, you could handle the install yourself. I believe Walt also sells the camera as well. The camera comes with some very good instructions to install it yourself.

Good luck, I know alot of this may seem confusing or frustrating but that is because we have SO many choices with car electronics today....and choice are good right?
Old 03-14-2014, 03:46 PM
F150 Vendor

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Thanks for the referral and positive feedback on our camera system. Walt over at ADC is the guy to talk to about Advent navigation and he also sells our camera systems. He'll bundle it into one package for you and probably save you some cash with a package price.

Remember our cameras have a 3 year limited warranty so you can buy with confidence knowing that we got your back.

Call if you have questions happy to help!
Chris
camera-source.com
414-939-5226
Old 03-14-2014, 04:35 PM

I've been looking into the Kenwood DDX471HD, DDX491HD and DDX5901HD so far. Prices are in the $400-$500 range. If I bought from Crutchfield I would get all the install stuff included and 50% off the Maestro unit. If I went with the 5901 + Maestro I'd have the cost of the HU plus another $100 or so for the Maestro and wiring harness. Not sure if I need to still buy the steering wheel control adapter thingy with that setup, but call it around $650 for everything - Minus the camera and install. That's about going to end up about the same cost as the Advent HU without install or a camera.

Plus if I ditch the Maestro then I have $400-$420 for the deck, $70 for the steering wheel control adapter and I would think the install would be much cheaper without the Maestro unit. If I go that route I'm guessing under a grand for everything installed.

The more I talk it through the more I'm leaning away from the Maestro setup since I could replace the Sync voice control with Siri voice control with any of those HU's.

I guess I'm wondering if I'm way off base with my thinking?
Old 03-15-2014, 08:52 AM

Using your example for the HU and Maestro (less camera and install), it would be $650 plus $350 install totaling $1k. A refurbished Advent (good as new) and you doing that easy install it would be less. Like I said, call Walt at ADCmobile, he can give you the prices.

I am not trying to sway you to the Advent (as much as you may think) I just think it would satisfy your needs easily and you could do the install yourself. There is only one person who cares about your truck, you! so unless your installer is really reputable and experienced and you are 100% confident with them, self-install is the way to go.

Also, the Maestro RR will maintain Sync and Steering Wheel Controls for you. If you wanted to forego Sync, the Maestro SW would take care of the steering wheel only.
Old 03-18-2014, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by troutspinner
If you wanted to forego Sync, the Maestro SW would take care of the steering wheel only.
Due to another post I just read and visiting Maestro's site, this is not true. Only the RR will maintain steering wheel control for your year. A PAC unit however will work for just steering wheel controls. I learn something new every day.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by camera-source.com
Thanks for the referral and positive feedback on our camera system. Walt over at ADC is the guy to talk to about Advent navigation and he also sells our camera systems. He'll bundle it into one package for you and probably save you some cash with a package price.

Remember our cameras have a 3 year limited warranty so you can buy with confidence knowing that we got your back.

Call if you have questions happy to help!
Chris
camera-source.com
414-939-5226
Thanks for the info Chris, after doing my research I've decided your camera is the one I want to go with. Going to put it on my birthday list for the wife to pick up, but I just tried to enter the discount code for the forum (F150Forum) and it says the coupon has reached the maximum redemption limit. Will this be available again?

Quick Reply: Need help choosing components