Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Need to find out what wiring harness to get

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 08:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need to find out what wiring harness to get

Hey, I would appreciate any help...
I am installing a JVC KD-G340 HU in my 97 F-150 Lariat. The original radio was just the standard AM/FM/Cassette, but I have a factory 6 disc changer in the back seat on the driver side. The original HU was working okay, except that it was pulling too much power even when the truck/radio was off and thus draining my battery all the time!
Enough history. Here's my problem. The scorsche wiring harness (Non Premium Sound/JBL Connector) I bought to make the install easier has the correct power harness, but not the right speaker harness. My speaker harness is a less rectangular (than the power connector), 16 pin connector. I'm thinking this harness also controlled the changer. I do NOT care to use the changer anymore, but don't want to chop off this connector and start "trial and erroring" to figure out the speakers.
All the posts I have read and info on the scosche site talk about a factory stereo with amp and by-passing the amp with a special harness, but what about a system with CD changer?
Sorry this is so long, but I wanted to provide as much info as possible. Don't know if it's necessary, but I have attached a picture of the factory connector. Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails Need to find out what wiring harness to get-100_4218.jpg  
Old 04-23-2008, 09:09 PM
lucky13

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i belive most audio shops and some walmarts sell a adapter that matches the stocks ones with wires that match the new head unit
Old 04-24-2008, 12:47 AM

If Memory serves me right, you need to dig a little deeper in the dash opening (to the left or right side) and there should be the right plugs for a base system and you can unplug things and hook your harness to those plugs with a standard 1770 harness.
Old 04-27-2008, 08:18 PM

Default Thanks toyz51!

I just wanted to post my follow up. Toyz51, you were right. There was another connector mounted further back in the radio cavity that feeds the speakers. Of course I had to figure this out the hard way. I purchased a connector to fit the one in my pic, connecting it all in, and voila', no speakers! Fortunately, I hadn't set the HU in the rails yet, so just had to cut and go back to my original Scorsche connector. Works great now! Hope this is helpful for future self-installers.
Roondog

Quick Reply: Need to find out what wiring harness to get