Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

My recent stereo upgrade.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 02:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My recent stereo upgrade.....

For Christmas I received a Kenwood DNX6140 for my '03 XLT and am finally getting some pictures up. I bought the 6140 as opposed to the newer model because I wanted a real **** for volume.

Now if I could figure out how to make it stay on for a few minutes after turning the key off I'd be a happy camper. My GM vehicles all stay on for 10 minutes after turning the key off. I can work the power windows in this '03 XLT but the radio goes off immediately. I bought this '03 truck about a month ago (only 22,500 miles on it) and can't remember if the stock radio stayed on or not.

I'm very happy with the installation and performance.

Old 02-06-2010, 02:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks great. Any major problems with the install, ie. having to drill corners for fitment??
Old 02-06-2010, 02:43 PM

Received 33 Likes on 11 Posts

For the '04-08's the stock radio shuts off when you open the door. It is probably the same for your '03....if not ignore what I say.

I'm guessing you used a wiring harness? The reason it still shuts off after you open the door is because it's wired into the stock radio's 12V, which is only active when the key has the ignition in the on position. All you'd have to do is hard wire the positive coming from the HU to a constant source, such as your 12V cigarette lighter.
Old 02-07-2010, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by keylo4life
Looks great. Any major problems with the install, ie. having to drill corners for fitment??
No major problems, but like all double DIN installs in '97-'03s I had to cut the top of the mount in the dash. I used a Harbor Freight multi function tool and it took about 3 minutes.
Old 02-07-2010, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by mblouir
For the '04-08's the stock radio shuts off when you open the door. It is probably the same for your '03....if not ignore what I say.

I'm guessing you used a wiring harness? The reason it still shuts off after you open the door is because it's wired into the stock radio's 12V, which is only active when the key has the ignition in the on position. All you'd have to do is hard wire the positive coming from the HU to a constant source, such as your 12V cigarette lighter.
Yes, I used a wiring harness but it plugs right into the stock connector, wouldn't it get it's power from the same source as the stock radio?
Old 02-08-2010, 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by j2dawson
Yes, I used a wiring harness but it plugs right into the stock connector, wouldn't it get it's power from the same source as the stock radio?
Yeah, that's what I'm saying. Since the stock radio cuts off as soon as you open the door (with the key off), your Kenwood will, too. If you hardwire it, though, it should stay on. I used to have my GPS hardwired and it would stay on for ~10 minutes after I turned the truck off.

I would say be careful, though. I have heard of people having problems with a parasitic drain after doing stuff like this. It all depends on if it's wired correctly.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by mblouir
Yeah, that's what I'm saying. Since the stock radio cuts off as soon as you open the door (with the key off), your Kenwood will, too. ....
I guess I stated the problem incorrectly, that is what I want it to do. I want the radio to stay on with the key off UNTIL I open the door or for 10 minutes, like my GM vehicles do. Maybe it was some kind of option the the original owner didn't get, because some guys tell me that theirs does exactly what I want.
Old 02-09-2010, 01:45 AM

Yeah, that's strange. Stock radios (04-08) do what you want, and if the right wiring harness was used you shouldn't have any problems. Maybe the 03s didn't do that?
Old 02-09-2010, 06:45 AM
big cube 426

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nive job, and it looks sweet.
Old 10-25-2010, 02:06 AM

Which install kit did you use for the double din? is it one for an 04-08 model?

Quick Reply: My recent stereo upgrade.....