Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

My 2012 XLT system install

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 06:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 2012 XLT system install

Started my install this weekend on my 2012 XLT. Stock sound system was standard with Sync. I added new infinity kapa door speakers, Polk 10 inch sub, homemade box, my old hifonics amp and Kenwood active crossover from the 90's I found in my basement. Sounds great, couldn't/wouldn't have tried without all the helpful posts and pics on the forum.
Used the Pac FDR24 no problems, used the "rear" output of RCA pair from the Pac to my amp, I can fade the amp out by fading to the front, otherwise sub volume is controlled by HU as expected.

There is lots of room behind the HU, I zip-tied the pact to the metal bracket under the HU, then ran the RCA cable just under the carpet on drivers side above the pedals, then down and around to the cable tray under the door jam trim.

The RCA is the gray and black striped wire. Everything came off and on pretty easy.
I will take some more pics of the power wire and box when I get carpet on it. I ran a 4 awg cable i bought cheap from Stockdale’s (sold as welding leads), the welding leads are excellent power cables, trick installer friend taught me and much cheaper that way. The box fits completely under the driver’s side back seat (larger seat), its a down fire at about 1cu of airspace. It was tricky to get the full sized woofer to fit but it sounds great I was looking for very even flat frequency range wit ability to get really low and it does that. I removed the jack (put in truck box) and bolted the ground to the hole left by the jack mounting plate. Pics to come.
P.S. my first post here, thanks everyone for all the helpful info, my ears are happier for it.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:00 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

You did good!
Old 07-17-2012, 02:20 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

sub pics and dimensions. you built, or bought? sealed?

to get 1 cuft, you'd have to go 12.5 x 7 x 5.25 x 35 (guessing on length.) that would hit the handles on both seats. Fits ok?
Old 07-17-2012, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Guinness68
sub pics and dimensions. you built, or bought? sealed?

to get 1 cuft, you'd have to go 12.5 x 7 x 5.25 x 35 (guessing on length.) that would hit the handles on both seats. Fits ok?
11.5 top x 8.75 h x 5.75 h x 11.25 bot x 33 long
Sealed, polyfill, used 1/2 mdf with bracing around the woofer.
Will post pics when I get back to computer
Old 07-17-2012, 08:30 PM

1/2" MDF. eek! Hope that bracing works. sounds like you've done this before.

At 33 inches, does the under seat handle press against the box? I mention that 'cause it is a hardpoint in the seat, whereas the remainder of the seat can be compressed.

Those dimensions fit (assuming I'm wrong about the 33"), but where's the driver? Firing down? So, is the actual box 8.75 or it 8.75 with feet (down firing)?
I come up with a 1.2cuft box.

I look forward to the pictures.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:58 PM

Still need to round the edges and carpet the box

bottom fire with the woofer section recessed 1.5 inch in the front 1 inch in the back

remainder of the box is recessed 3/8 inch to clear the raised section the jack was mounted to.

I know 3/4 inch is the standard but i have used 3/4 on huge boxes with multiple 15s. This box is small in comparison, for the spans 1/2 is plenty strong with a little bracing around the woofer, for a box this size I think 3/4 would be overkill for the power levels I am using.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:07 PM

I like it. Good design.

But that's not in a 2012 truck, right?
The following users liked this post:
stewchi (07-17-2012)
Old 07-17-2012, 11:07 PM

For the power wire I used a battery cable cause the ends where already crimped. Crimped end to the battery, cut end to the fuse box. I used the other end of the cut battery cable as the ground cable.

Ran the cable in the lower hole by the passenger side

Used the other crimped end of the battery cable as the ground, bolted to the jack bolt and ran the cable under the carpet to the amp under the pasanger side read seat.

Quick Reply: My 2012 XLT system install