Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Multiple Cameras, 1 head unit

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 01:50 PM
First Tiger of G.R.O.S.S.

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Multiple Cameras, 1 head unit

Has anyone here mounted multiple cameras on their truck tied into the backup-camera input of their head unit?

The reason why I ask, is because i've been doing some off-roading and a lot of times I find myself getting out to double check clearance before moving forward over an obstacle. I've been thinking about mounting a second camera underneath the truck pointed forwards so I can flip to it when going slowly off-road and make sure that I'm not going to high-center.

The HU guy says there is no reason why it wouldn't work, I'm just wondering if anyone else has done it, where they mounted it, and what they used to switch the input in the cab. I'm looking at some electronic switch boxes that you can toggle through inputs, I also am looking at some with dials.

I don't care about seeing more than one video stream at a time. It would also be a cool way to make some videos... the HU has a video output, I could put a video recorder in the glove box and get some great video to go along with it.
Old 01-27-2011, 02:35 PM
DIY

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

you just need to get an "rca switcher"... and you can get those for x number of cameras. then press a button to switch to one or another, and you can be the director of your own movie...

cost? $4....

http://cgi.ebay.com/TV-Audio-Video-AV-Amplifier-3-Way-Splitter-Switcher-RCA-/330517762300?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cf464 d0fc

Last edited by picaflor; 01-27-2011 at 02:38 PM.
Old 01-27-2011, 02:45 PM

Yeah, I have looked at those. I didn't like them because of the giant button on the top of them and the fact that all the cables in/out will need to be visible so I can reach the button.

I'm thinking of something like this: ebay_link

Only I'd relocate the buttons somewhere close to the driver, maybe replace the coin-holder or put them where the AUX cable is, and be able to put the rest of the switching further hidden in the dash.

The other thing is they used to have switchers where you press a button and it would cycle through the sources... something like that would be perfect... I could easily extend the button where-ever I wanted and the switch box could hide even further away.

Hrm... Maybe I need to learn how to solder my own.
Old 01-27-2011, 03:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Hobbes80
Has anyone here mounted multiple cameras on their truck tied into the backup-camera input of their head unit?

The reason why I ask, is because i've been doing some off-roading and a lot of times I find myself getting out to double check clearance before moving forward over an obstacle. I've been thinking about mounting a second camera underneath the truck pointed forwards so I can flip to it when going slowly off-road and make sure that I'm not going to high-center.

The HU guy says there is no reason why it wouldn't work, I'm just wondering if anyone else has done it, where they mounted it, and what they used to switch the input in the cab. I'm looking at some electronic switch boxes that you can toggle through inputs, I also am looking at some with dials.

I don't care about seeing more than one video stream at a time. It would also be a cool way to make some videos... the HU has a video output, I could put a video recorder in the glove box and get some great video to go along with it.
If you really want to try to do it yourself, you could get away with using a DPDT relay, a SPST switch, a soldering iron, and some wire. That would work only for two cameras. More than that gets a bit more complicated.
Old 01-27-2011, 03:39 PM
DIY

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

well, you can always do something like a DIY using a toggle switch and just the yellow RCA connector. or maybe 2 toggle switches.

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Raul/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG]

Last edited by picaflor; 01-27-2011 at 03:42 PM.
Old 01-27-2011, 04:02 PM

I'm looking at 2 pole rotary switches.... if I had a 2-pole, 3 position switch and some RCA ends, I could put a dial next to the aux and switch between video sources, since it is just +/- for an RCA cable, right? My only concern with a rotary is interference making the picture suck.

I suppose it is worth the effort if I want to explore it.. all the "buy me" options out there are geared towards people that have 5 monitors in the backseat of their escalade and want their kids to be able to choose whether they watch barney or play PS3 .

Anyone have any good sources for rotary switches?
Old 01-28-2011, 01:57 AM
Crew Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My deck has setting for dual cameras, but think you could do 6 cameras if you wanted switches all over. LOL
Old 01-28-2011, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by racinjason68
My deck has setting for dual cameras, but think you could do 6 cameras if you wanted switches all over. LOL
lol... I don't think I'm going to go all that crazy.. fortunately I'm budget-limited!

I saw this video on youtube... was thinking that it was a neat angle.. but would also be good to have one watching the low-points in the front for off-roading... watching for hang-up points.

I think one rotary dial, just turn it to the camera I want and I'm done... should be easy to build myself.

Quick Reply: Multiple Cameras, 1 head unit