Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Metra Adbox1 + Kenwood 6990HD + Sync - 2010 F150 SCREW

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 08:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Metra Adbox1 + Kenwood 6990HD + Sync - 2010 F150 SCREW

So I'm having an "issue" that may just be "working as designed" but I'd like to hear if anyone else has used the Metra kit to retain sync functionality. When I go to activate sync for voice commands, my head unit completely shuts off until I'm done with the sync...and for the Kenwood, that's basically like full rebooting it. Mid-navigation that could be quite annoying.

Any insight into this phenomenon would be appreciated.

I remember 1 blue/white wire that had like a pre heatshrinked connection set up to it was not connected and I am wondering if that should've joined with the other 2 blue/whites I had on the harness set (since the harness sets to wire this sh*t up gets a little crazy)

2010 Lariat with Standard Audio config
Old 07-12-2014, 11:30 AM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by ThunderG0D
So I'm having an "issue" that may just be "working as designed" but I'd like to hear if anyone else has used the Metra kit to retain sync functionality. When I go to activate sync for voice commands, my head unit completely shuts off until I'm done with the sync...and for the Kenwood, that's basically like full rebooting it. Mid-navigation that could be quite annoying.

Any insight into this phenomenon would be appreciated.

I remember 1 blue/white wire that had like a pre heatshrinked connection set up to it was not connected and I am wondering if that should've joined with the other 2 blue/whites I had on the harness set (since the harness sets to wire this sh*t up gets a little crazy)

2010 Lariat with Standard Audio config
There is a brown wire on the harness that needs to be cut. Then it will mute. I can't remember where to cut it exactly but it is in the instructions
Old 07-12-2014, 04:12 PM

I had the brown wire wire'd up to the harness's brown wire. Though maybe it did come apart trying to move that whole assembly into the dash, which I may be double-checking soon anyways since the shutting off thing is getting annoying pretty quick.

Went back through the instructions and it said to connect the brown mute wire to the aftermarket radio (which mine does have). The only thing not hooked up is on the 24-pin harness...a blue and white cable that I'm thinking may be my problem since that's the "amp turn-on" and I guess when it activates sync, the power path changes and since that's not wired, it shuts off the HU.

Last edited by ThunderG0D; 07-12-2014 at 05:03 PM.
Old 07-12-2014, 06:22 PM

I had the brown wire wire'd up to the harness's brown wire. Though maybe it did come apart trying to move that whole assembly into the dash, which I may be double-checking soon anyways since the shutting off thing is getting annoying pretty quick.

Went back through the instructions and it said to connect the brown mute wire to the aftermarket radio (which mine does have). The only thing not hooked up is on the 24-pin harness...a blue and white cable that I'm thinking may be my problem since that's the "amp turn-on" and I guess when it activates sync, the power path changes and since that's not wired, it shuts off the HU.
Nope
Take out your HU. On the MSFRD-1 there should be a brown wire that just loops back to the connector. Cut it and splice the part of the wire closest to the outside of the connector to which ever wire is the mute wire on your HU.
You can always call PAC. They have great customer service.

Last edited by Wyo11Scab; 07-12-2014 at 06:31 PM.
Old 07-12-2014, 08:20 PM

This isn't PAC...this is Metra
Old 07-13-2014, 01:07 PM

At this point I've ordered the idatalink Maestro RR kit...since I got a Kenwood, it looks like that would've been the smarter decision in the first place for this purpose.
Old 07-13-2014, 06:26 PM

This isn't PAC...this is Metra
My bad. Sorry. I used a PAC when I had mine. I agree that the Maestro is a superior unit.
The following users liked this post:
12V Guy (08-27-2014)

Quick Reply: Metra Adbox1 + Kenwood 6990HD + Sync - 2010 F150 SCREW