Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Making my Pioneer DVD player work w/o parking brake engaged

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 06:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Making my Pioneer DVD player work w/o parking brake engaged

I have a Pioneer AVH-P3100DVD head unit that I am going to put in my wives 07 150 . It has a wire that is supposed to be hooked to the positive on the e brake switch . I want the dvd player to work while driving , for the kids , not me . Any of you stereo gurus know how to wire it up so that it thinks the e-brake is on . I figure it goes to the positive so that it has power that keeps it from working , then when the circuit is closed it allows it to play . So by this line of thinking I would just ground the wire or does it need a resistor ? Any help would be greatly appreciated .

Also saw the thread about putting the stuffing in the box for better low range sound and will be doing so later tonight .

Good forum , lots of good info here .
Old 02-14-2011, 06:51 PM
I know it's backwards

Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts

There are lots of videos on YouTube that show you how to use a relay that will fool the radio into thinking that the parking brake is on, but I found the easiest way is to just ground the parking brake wire and put it on a toggle switch. When you want to watch a movie you just flip the toggle switch.

I have a simple diagram. If you'd like it just PM me.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should be able to run the wire to ground. That works on mine.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:15 PM
Lightning&Lariat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get a standard boush relay from autozone. Hook up as follows.
86-ground
87-ground
85-blue turn on wire from headunit,(the wire you would use if you were to hook up an amp)
30-green parking brake wire also from headunit

this will provide you without having to mount a toggle switch and will be automatically engaged when the vehicle is turned on. The numbers up above are numbers marked on the relay. any other questions hit me up. Hope this helps. -Josh
Old 02-14-2011, 11:50 PM

Thanks everyone . I hooked it up tonight . I used a switch for now . Seems to work well .

Now I have another issue , is there any way to keep the factory amp and sub working with an aftermarket head unit or do I have to go get an aftermarket amp and some subs ? I am no stranger to custom stereo installs although things have really advanced in the last 10 years ......

Here is a box and amp board I built for my PSD . I know it's not over the top but I built it all about 8 years ago or so . This pic is with the rear seat removed .
Attached Thumbnails Making my Pioneer DVD player work w/o parking brake engaged-097.jpg  
Old 02-15-2011, 09:05 AM

I found what I needed for the factory amp and sub to work . All is well .
Old 02-15-2011, 09:21 AM
Huge Member

Received 240 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Stomper
I found what I needed for the factory amp and sub to work . All is well .
well, here's an idea..let people know? Just a thought...
Old 02-15-2011, 09:42 AM
First Tiger of G.R.O.S.S.

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

you can use the PAC kits to use an aftermarket HU with the factory amps... just go to pac-audio.com and lookup your truck.... they will show you what you need.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:42 PM

Received 1,523 Likes on 1,203 Posts

I also think metra makes a kit.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by 2011LIMITED#288
well, here's an idea..let people know? Just a thought...
I just did when I said " I found what I needed for the factory amp and sub to work . All is well ."

Now if you mean let them know what it is ........ Here's a thought I found it on here so I figured it was not necessary to re-post it . If you would like me to all you have to do is ask but no need to be a jack-***** . If I am taking you wrong and you were just trying to be funny , I apologize but that comment comes off to me as you being a jerk and I don't deal well with internet jerks . I am a real nice person , just show me the respect you would like me to show you and everything will be fine .

Here is the part # for the harness for the amp
It is the Metra kit , part # 70-5521
You hook both of the blue wires in this harness to the amp remote wire from the head unit .
My truck also needed an adapter for the antenna , according to the local stereo shop it is actually a chrysler antenna adapter
It is a Metra part as well , part # AD-CR1
I am also told I need a voltage reducer to install in line on the amp remote wire to take the voltage from 12 to 5 so that the sub doesn't pop every time the truck is started or the radio is turned on .
It is a Radio Shack part , part #276-1770 .

I haven't installed any of this yet , I had to order the 1st harness , so I can't confirm how it works yet . As soon as I install it I'll let everyone know how it works .

Quick Reply: Making my Pioneer DVD player work w/o parking brake engaged