Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Maintain Battery Voltage

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 01:28 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Maintain Battery Voltage

found this on another forum when I was researching my Sync issues. Thought it was interesting and decided to share:

Originally Posted by [URL="http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/member.php?u=137174
stormsearch[/URL]"]It is likely the BCM has the battery soc at a very low value. The BCM cannot reset the SOC until at least 8 hours of battery connection w/o vehicle being literally touched (I've played with them and didn't have too much effect). Basically, the vehicle will load shed/turn off features believing the battery has a low charge when reality the battery is fine, but the computer thinks otherwise.

Whenever a battery is disconnected for long periods of time (I haven't been provided how long yet), it might reset the soc reading to a lower default value. Whenever you replace the battery, the dealer has a method to update the computer to an actual higher SOC so it will not shut down loads or dis-able KIA operations.

Here is some info from the workshop manual:

The charging system is a negative ground system consisting of:

a generator with an internal voltage regulator
a charging system warning indicator
a battery
circuitry and cables
a PCM
a radial arm adapter (serviced separately from the generator)
a battery current sensor
a generator current sensor
The generator is driven by the accessory drive belt. When the engine is started, the generator begins to generate AC voltage which is internally converted to DC voltage. The DC voltage is controlled by the voltage regulator (located on the rear of the generator) and supplied to the battery. The PCM controls the voltage regulation set point, working with the generator internal voltage regulator over 2 control and communication circuits.

This vehicle is equipped with load shed strategy. The Body Control Module (BCM) monitors the battery state of charge using the battery current sensor attached to the negative battery cable and the battery open circuit voltage as measured by the BCM during 8 continuous hours of vehicle sleep time (ignition off with doors closed).

With the engine off and the ignition in the ACC, RUN or delayed accessory position, when the BCM determines the battery state of charge is low, a message is sent to shut down the audio/navigation system in order to save the remaining battery charge. Under this condition:

the Front Display Interface Module (FDIM) displays SYS OFF TO SAVE BATT (without navigation) or BATTERY SAVER — SYSTEM OFF PLEASE START THE ENGINE (with navigation).
the Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) message center may also display TURN POWER OFF TO SAVE BATT (base message center) or TURN POWER OFF TO SAVE BATTERY (optional message center) to notify the driver that battery protection actions are active.
the battery indicator may also illuminate.
If the vehicle battery has been charged or battery replaced, it takes approximately 8 hours for the BCM to learn the new battery state of charge. During this 8 hour period, the vehicle must be undisturbed, with no doors opened or keyless entry buttons pressed. If the vehicle is used before the BCM is allowed to learn the new battery state of charge, engine off load shedding may occur earlier than normal and a message may be displayed.

If the vehicle has been jump started, engine off load shedding can still occur and a message may be displayed until the BCM determines the battery state of charge is above 40%.

With the engine running, when the BCM and Power Steering Control Module (PSCM) voltage is low, a message is sent from the BCM to either minimize or shut down the climate controlled seats, rear defrost, heated mirrors and Dual Automatic Temperature Control (DATC) blower motor to improve system voltage. Under this condition, the IPC message center displays either LOW BATTERY LESS FEATURES (base message center) or LOW BATTERY FEATURES TEMPORARILY TURNED OFF (optional message center) to notify the driver that battery protection actions are active.

The PCM monitors the generator current using the generator current sensor attached to the generator B+ battery cable. This is used for engine idle stability and torque control.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:52 AM

Received 523 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by Guinness68
The generator is driven by the accessory drive belt. When the engine is started, the generator begins to generate AC voltage which is internally converted to DC voltage
Good post! However, its technically called an Alternator because it produces AC current. Once regulated, its capable of being a generator. Even with the regulator, it sill sends fairly large spikes in voltage but the battery helps to even further regulate the voltage so your system sees the continuous 12.6-14.4 DC V's.

Voltage spikes can really mess up an ignition system, especially the EFI.
Things get even worse on diesels when an injector pump goes bad or gets too much or not enough voltage! Luckily, even semi-dead batteries help to limit those spikes and server as a "diode" in that it helps protect your electrical system. This is why you cant run most vehicles off the alternator alone; it has the amperes to power the system, but not the proper current and voltage levels even after the regulator.
Old 06-20-2012, 12:17 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Interesting.

The point of the post was about what Ford does when voltage drops. It starts cutting off power to non-essential items. I thought that was pretty darn cool.

I remember my old '69 el camino and the day i figured out I could run on just the Alternator... no battery. Cool party trick. sorta.
Old 06-20-2012, 12:23 PM

Received 523 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by Guinness68
Interesting.

The point of the post was about what Ford does when voltage drops. It starts cutting off power to non-essential items. I thought that was pretty darn cool.

I remember my old '69 el camino and the day i figured out I could run on just the Alternator... no battery. Cool party trick. sorta.
That is very interesting!
Great stuff too, I never knew the system did that and thanks for the post. I wish more people would post up relevant info like this.

Quick Reply: Maintain Battery Voltage