Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Maestro + Kenwood, another which HU question

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 11:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Maestro + Kenwood, another which HU question

Hi All, just found this forum and have been reading for the past couple days. What started as a search for a backup camera has turned into a burning desire for a new Kenwood 2-DIN HU with Maestro setup and I have a few questions that I didn't see the answers to. I have a 2012 XLT with basic sync (no screens)

What I would like to have is a HU that can play video, integrate with a backup camera (OEM or aftermarket), retain all of my Sync features and has the extra vehicle screens like digital tire pressure. I really have no need for Nav, but it looks like that is a requirement to get the additional vehicle screens.

Here are my questions for now

1. It looks like new Kenwood products are usually released in Jan, is it worth waiting a month to see if anything new comes out that works better with the Maestro? Or if something without Nav comes out that allows the extra vehicles screens to work?

2. Has anyone used the DNX570HD with this setup? Where you happy with the HU?

3. Is not supporting the extra vehicle screens on the DDX series a hardware limitation of the HU itself or a software limitation of the Maestro units? It sure would be nice to get all the features (minus Nav) from a ~$300 units instead of more than doubling the price.

4. If I wanted to add rear-facing headset screens for the kids down the road can they just tie in to this type of setup?

I think that's it for now, thanks for any help you give me!
The following users liked this post:
Feathermerchant (12-22-2013)
Old 12-22-2013, 08:58 PM

Received 398 Likes on 336 Posts

I think I'm in about the same boat as you (only warmer). I am smitten by the TPMS screen. But I realize that a new head unit would sound a lot better too.
12V Guy (12-24-2013)
Old 12-23-2013, 11:28 AM
F150 Forum

Received 147 Likes on 86 Posts

Hi,

See below.

Originally Posted by hckymeyer
Hi All, just found this forum and have been reading for the past couple days. What started as a search for a backup camera has turned into a burning desire for a new Kenwood 2-DIN HU with Maestro setup and I have a few questions that I didn't see the answers to. I have a 2012 XLT with basic sync (no screens)

What I would like to have is a HU that can play video, integrate with a backup camera (OEM or aftermarket), retain all of my Sync features and has the extra vehicle screens like digital tire pressure. I really have no need for Nav, but it looks like that is a requirement to get the additional vehicle screens.

Here are my questions for now

1. It looks like new Kenwood products are usually released in Jan, is it worth waiting a month to see if anything new comes out that works better with the Maestro? Or if something without Nav comes out that allows the extra vehicles screens to work?

They will announce in January, but often shipping is a few months later.

2. Has anyone used the DNX570HD with this setup? Where you happy with the HU?

We have tons of customers using this radio. This and DNX690HD are solid performers. The Excelon units do really sound a bit better.

3. Is not supporting the extra vehicle screens on the DDX series a hardware limitation of the HU itself or a software limitation of the Maestro units? It sure would be nice to get all the features (minus Nav) from a ~$300 units instead of more than doubling the price.

This is a limitation of the hardware platform of the DDX370. Not sure what's coming next year in the AV (non-NAV) line, but you might want to wait and see.

4. If I wanted to add rear-facing headset screens for the kids down the road can they just tie in to this type of setup?

In general, yes, but you should talk to Kenwood or installer to be sure what you want to do is possible.

I think that's it for now, thanks for any help you give me!

Cheers,
hckymeyer (12-23-2013)
Old 12-24-2013, 11:37 AM
F150 Forum

Received 147 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Feathermerchant
I think I'm in about the same boat as you (only warmer). I am smitten by the TPMS screen. But I realize that a new head unit would sound a lot better too.
Nothing in the world feels better than when a customer is "Smitten" by something you created.. Thanks for making our day.

Cheers,
Old 12-24-2013, 04:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for answers 12V Guy, I really appreciate it and that helps a lot.

I guess the plan for now is wait and see if/what get's announced at CES and go from there.
Old 12-24-2013, 04:51 PM

So sounds like I need to call 12V guy and talk Kenwood head units.
How does it read the TPMS? I see no bus connections for the Kenwood units.
Is it the Masetro? How does it send the info to the head unit?
Old 12-24-2013, 05:10 PM

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

So sounds like I need to call 12V guy and talk Kenwood head units.
How does it read the TPMS? I see no bus connections for the Kenwood units.
Is it the Masetro? How does it send the info to the head unit?
There's two wires that you tap into pins 9 & 14 (I believe...been over 6 months since I installed mine) on your OBD port
Old 12-26-2013, 02:02 PM

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Largefarva
There's two wires that you tap into pins 9 & 14 (I believe...been over 6 months since I installed mine) on your OBD port
yes this is correct, I had the Dnn990hd with the maestro and everything worked great, besides the sat. radio..... took forever to start playing music from from Sirius, I was spoiled by the oem radio which was almost instant playing Sirius, so I returned the DNN990HD and put my stock radio back in and added a tablet to my truck for 175.00
Old 12-26-2013, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by jeremyha
yes this is correct, I had the Dnn990hd with the maestro and everything worked great, besides the sat. radio..... took forever to start playing music from from Sirius, I was spoiled by the oem radio which was almost instant playing Sirius, so I returned the DNN990HD and put my stock radio back in and added a tablet to my truck for 175.00
Does the tablet display the instruments like the DNN990HD?
Old 12-27-2013, 04:48 AM

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Does the tablet display the instruments like the DNN990HD?
only thing it won`t display is tire pressures and which doors doors are open, but I have the bigger screen in gauge cluster that tells me what doors are open, I use the Torque obd2 app, with the obd2 bluetooth adapter, which gives me my boost pressure and the other PID from the ECU, plus I have Valentine 1 radar detector that I use the YaV1 android app for, it just was more sense and cheaper for me to run a tablet, I use Motorola Xoom 10" screen and I use a mount for my Tablet from GPS city its a ez load and unload mount works really well. I will get some pics and post them later today

Quick Reply: Maestro + Kenwood, another which HU question