Go Back   Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans > Ford F150 Forums > Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation > Stereo/Audio
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-23-2014, 02:00 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Maestro and DDX271

I recently purchased the Kenwood DDX271 after reviewing the idatalink Maestro system and seeing that the DDX271 would retain all sync functions and steering wheel controls.


After installing, I am having difficulty with the steering wheel controls and voice commands. My phone will constantly drop from the Bluetooth connection and I have no idea how to pull up any sync functions on screen through the Kenwood. I see OEM features and setup but if I touch OEM Bluetooth setup, it goes nowhere. I am more than dissatisfied at this point.


Is the DDX271 so low end that I am having these problems? Programming the SWC from the idatalink flash program is a joke for me. I can change the commands to simple things like answer or hang up on the Phone button or MEDIA button and it might get 1 command of the 4 I entered right. I currently can use Bluetooth but have no voice command or prompts. I have to press MEDIA to end a call and have to touch onscreen or use my phone to answer calls.


Can anyone help? 12V Guy? please!!
Drewbaby88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 12:06 PM   #2
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Why keep Sync?

I am now wondering why not get a higher end HU and just scrap the sync all together? I can get the PAC harness to retain SWC correct?


I don't use voice commands and really only need Bluetooth and a screen for my reverse camera.


Anyone got any recommendations on a HU to fit my bill? (video screen for backup camera, Bluetooth, satellite ready, iphone integration is a plus too)
Drewbaby88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 12:53 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Casper, WY.
Posts: 1,925
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanked 133 Times in 127 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbaby88 View Post
I am now wondering why not get a higher end HU and just scrap the sync all together? I can get the PAC harness to retain SWC correct?


I don't use voice commands and really only need Bluetooth and a screen for my reverse camera.


Anyone got any recommendations on a HU to fit my bill? (video screen for backup camera, Bluetooth, satellite ready, iphone integration is a plus too)
I like my Kenwood DDX470. Has everything you are looking for.
__________________
2014 Tuxedo Black F150 XLT Scab 4x4 w/5.0. JVC's in doors. 2 - 10" Kenwood subs under rear seat powered by JL Audio amp
Wyo11Scab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 01:01 PM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

do you also use the iDatalink Maestro system? I am about to scrap the sync system and just use integrated Bluetooth and the PAC ms-FRD1 interface instead.
Drewbaby88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 01:37 PM   #5
Senior Member
5 Year Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 556
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanked 33 Times in 30 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

The MS-FRD1 is for retaining Sync. You would be looking to get a PAC-SWI for just retaining your steering wheel controls.

Your HU will do everything you want but did you buy the wrong Maestro interface perhaps? Which one do you have?
troutspinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 02:17 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutspinner View Post
The MS-FRD1 is for retaining Sync. You would be looking to get a PAC-SWI for just retaining your steering wheel controls.

Your HU will do everything you want but did you buy the wrong Maestro interface perhaps? Which one do you have?


This is what I ordered from Crutchfield. Its what they recommended based on my having 2010 F150 SCREW no nav, w/sync and SWC.


http://www.crutchfield.com/p_794ADSM...r.html?tp=3486
Drewbaby88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 02:21 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyo11Scab View Post
I like my Kenwood DDX470. Has everything you are looking for.




According to iDatalink's website, the DDX470 will not retain all the sync functions. I was originally thinking I wanted to keep sync but I am not so sure anymore. What is one benefit that sync has over a H/U that is Bluetooth, xm ready and uses apps(iheart, Pandora)?
Drewbaby88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 02:48 PM   #8
Senior Member
5 Year Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 556
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanked 33 Times in 30 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbaby88 View Post
According to iDatalink's website, the DDX470 will not retain all the sync functions. I was originally thinking I wanted to keep sync but I am not so sure anymore. What is one benefit that sync has over a H/U that is Bluetooth, xm ready and uses apps(iheart, Pandora)?
We will need 12V Guy to chime in here. I don't believe the Maestro can keep Sync using that HU. You might want to call crutchfield also.

As for your question of benefit......None! The only real benefit is that you can use the existing Mic from Sync keeping the interior clean of after-market add-ons. You will however need a steering wheel controller so you can still use them.

I struggled with keeping Sync myself and swore that when I replaced my radio (again) that I would forego Sync and the MS-FRD1 I had. While the MS-FRD1 did it's job, there were times it would get goofy on me and would not correct until power was cycled on the vehicle.

But....since people were having a good experience with the Maestro I decided to give it a try and I have to say that I am happy with it though I did buy a HU that has datalink.
troutspinner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutspinner For This Useful Post:
Drewbaby88 (03-24-2014)
Old 03-24-2014, 03:05 PM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutspinner View Post
We will need 12V Guy to chime in here. I don't believe the Maestro can keep Sync using that HU. You might want to call crutchfield also.

As for your question of benefit......None! The only real benefit is that you can use the existing Mic from Sync keeping the interior clean of after-market add-ons. You will however need a steering wheel controller so you can still use them.

I struggled with keeping Sync myself and swore that when I replaced my radio (again) that I would forego Sync and the MS-FRD1 I had. While the MS-FRD1 did it's job, there were times it would get goofy on me and would not correct until power was cycled on the vehicle.

But....since people were having a good experience with the Maestro I decided to give it a try and I have to say that I am happy with it though I did buy a HU that has datalink.

According to the iDatalink website, the DDX271 will retain the sync system. I was initially looking at the DDX370 and 470 but noticed they will not retain sync. That is the sole reason I purchased the 271. I am at a loss.


Did you solder your harness and also connect the pink/red SW2 wire, TroutSpinner? I connected everything, just didn't solder. only spliced and crimped.
Drewbaby88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 03:44 PM   #10
Senior Member
5 Year Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 556
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanked 33 Times in 30 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbaby88 View Post
According to the iDatalink website, the DDX271 will retain the sync system. I was initially looking at the DDX370 and 470 but noticed they will not retain sync. That is the sole reason I purchased the 271. I am at a loss.
This is why I asked 12V Guy to chime in as I am not sure.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbaby88 View Post
Did you solder your harness and also connect the pink/red SW2 wire, TroutSpinner? I connected everything, just didn't solder. only spliced and crimped.
I did solder and shrink tube my connections that could be made in the house. Connections like remote power for my amp and camera were done in the vehicle with posi-lock connectors.

Per the instruction for my Maestro and radio (DNX691HD) I did not require the pink/red SW2. I can only assume because my unit has the datalink.
troutspinner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutspinner For This Useful Post:
Drewbaby88 (03-24-2014)
Old 03-24-2014, 03:44 PM
 
 
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Join F150 Forum

 

The Mustang Source
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:38 PM.


Copyright 2006 - 20011 F150forum.com
This site is in no way affiliated with the Ford Motor Company.