Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Loud engine noise in new infiniti kappas

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 12:23 PM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Talk about annoying, my brand new Infiniti Kappas being pushed by a planet audio 1800.5 The speakers sound amazing, I also have a kenwood DNX890HD
There is a loud engine noise coming through them, I've been recommended to ground my receiver to the same ground as my amplifier, any other suggestions?

Last edited by bigburns12; 08-19-2014 at 12:35 PM.
Old 08-19-2014, 12:36 PM

If there's any additional info needed please let me know
Old 08-19-2014, 02:34 PM
Boost :)

Received 440 Likes on 328 Posts

Engine noise is usually caused by RCA/signal wires being crossed with or placed near the Power wire for the amplifier. They should be run on opposite sides of the vehicle and be kept as far away as humanly possible from each other.

Most engine noise problems I've run into in the past have been solved this way. You can also go with bigger grounds on the amplifier or a more sturdy ground source as well.
Old 08-19-2014, 02:46 PM

Thanks! I'll give that a shot
Old 08-19-2014, 05:11 PM

Received 169 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by TJPlatinumEB
Engine noise is usually caused by RCA/signal wires being crossed with or placed near the Power wire for the amplifier.
Not entirely true. Unless you use really crappy RCA cable you should be fine crossing them with power cables. You definitely don't want to run them side by side. First thing to look at is your amp ground. Is it at least the same size as your power wire? Are all connectors securely crimped or soldered? Is it less than 18 inches? Is it grounded securely at the truck end? Was any paint or coating ground/sanded away to provide a solid ground? After verifying a good ground swap out your RCA cables to eliminate a bad cable. If none of that helps that leaves your source or your amp. I didn't see what you are using as a source but planet audio isn't known for high quality. Could be a problem in the amp or the source
Old 08-24-2014, 12:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you use 1/0 gauge for power and ground for amp (as the manufacturer recommends)? Should try and keep ground wire less than 12 in long and ground to frame or something big metal like seat mounts. Deck ground should be short as possible too.
Little hint, I used a magnet to find a good piece of metal to ground to for the head unit.
My sub amp grounded to truck frame and door speakers amp(powering Infiniti Kappas as well) grounded to rear seat mount. Amps using 4 gauge no engine noise. Good Luck!!
Old 08-24-2014, 08:19 AM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I was about to ask about the size of your ground wire too. Many of the 'complementary amp kits' *cough crutchfield cough*, really aren't large enough guage wire. So you really don't get a 'good enough ground'. But, as was also listed, if you ran your power wire along side the signal wire, that is also a source of problems (that being said, my amp power wire is right next to my signal wires for both left rear speaker and the amp itself, and I have no problems). Alternatively, if you don't have a good ground mount point, even having power/ground wire of sufficient gauge won't be sufficient. If you have a point of resistance, you really don't have a good ground. Some places have bolts, but there is paint/coating over the frame, so you really don't get a good ground.
so I'm adding nothing new here that hasn't been suggested, but possibilities
1) bad ground
2) small guage power/ground wire (effectiely given a bad ground)
3) power too close to signal wire (but I don't see this myself with twist speaker wire parallel to my signal wire, but it is possible)
4) your signal source (head unit), is just giving out poor quality sound and not filtering noise from the power source
Old 08-24-2014, 10:38 AM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Start with the RCA. Disconnect them and temporarily string a new one from the HU to the amp. I have seen some real bad RCA cables. You can ground the HU to the old HU ground. Should have been done already if you used a wiring harness. You should ground the amp to a bolt on the floor or I just like to use a self tapping screw.
Old 08-24-2014, 02:01 PM

Thanks fellas!!
My ground/power are both 4ga and my ground is appx. 6-8" on sanded bare metal
My RCAs were 29.99 each and they are twisted
The RCAs are ran completely separate from my power
Old 08-25-2014, 10:14 AM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by bigburns12
Thanks fellas!!
My ground/power are both 4ga and my ground is appx. 6-8" on sanded bare metal
My RCAs were 29.99 each and they are twisted