Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Looking for Install Advice. Equipment list and other info inside

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 12:40 AM
Iraq Lobster!

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Looking for Install Advice. Equipment list and other info inside

I'm picking up my new to me 2001 super cab in a week or 3 and I'm planning my stereo install accordingly. A solid stereo in my DD is a must for me, so I want to do my research and do it right the first time around. I'm not new to the car audio world and have done more than my fair share of installs in a few cars over the years, but I've never done a heavy install in a truck. I did a basic sub install in a friend's Z71 a while back, but never anything Ford specific. So, here's the run down:

Deck: Older Pioneer model with time alignment, the works
Sound Processing: Kicker KQ30 (30 band eq)
Amps: Hifonics NX440 (older model), JL 500/1 and a 300/2 if I put midbasses in the doors down the road
Front stage: Critical Mass RS6 6.5's
Sub: JL 10w7

So, my basic, overall plan is a standard deck install, front stage in the kicks, no rear fill, sealed sub box to JL's specs (1.25 ft^3 IIRC) and amps/eq mounted where ever. I want to retain the rear seat and most likely won't be building a secondary center console to house it. Sound quality is paramount. High SPL is a non-factor.

My questions:
Does anyone have a 10w7 (or any other model aside from the 8w7) in their truck? Is there enough room to house it firing straight out from under the seat? The sub, if I remember correctly, requires 9" of clearance from the baffle back. This clears the mounting depth and the required space behind the vented pole piece. I'm comfortable with simple wood work and fiberglass work, so relatively complex installs aren't problematic.

Does anyone have any pics of DIY kicks in their F150? I'd prefer DIY jobs over q-forms. I can't imagine it being a difficult install with all that room down there, but any tricks and lessons learned would be helpful. Comments about staging difficulties during the aiming/build process would be beneficial.

Where are you guys mounting your amps? I'd assume it'd be on the opposite side of the sub? How about behind the rear seat backs? Pics would be helpful if you have them.

What is the best place to pop the power wire through? I forgot if I ran 0 or 4 awg wire through my grand prix (I've done both in 2 different installs, I forgot which is which), but I will be using that wire in the truck. I guess it's best to assume the worst, so where should I punch through? The grand prix had a great grommet to pop through and it made life easier. Does the truck have a similar place or am I stuck drilling the firewall?

How about grounding points? Are there any tried and true best places to prevent grounding loops or are you guys just cleaning the metal and tapping in at the most practical place?

Lastly, any big gotchas in the truck? Are there any quirks that make the install a PITA or is it pretty straight forward?

Links to build threads and pics of installs that go beyond the standard prefab box would probably help the most. Any advice is appreciated though.

So, welcome me to the forum since this is my first post and fill my head with truck install knowledge!

Quick Reply: Looking for Install Advice. Equipment list and other info inside