Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

LOC install???

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 12:26 PM

Received 49 Likes on 26 Posts

Default LOC install???

So, I searched without luck for this topic, but has anyone installed an LOC in a 2010 or newer truck? Any write-ups on where to tap into the speakers, which wires, and how you took apart the dash to do it? Thanks!
Old 02-15-2011, 03:30 PM

Received 1,523 Likes on 1,203 Posts

For the dash, pop off the 2 sides that are on either side of the center stack, be careful as you will have to unplug the 12volt connector on the passenger side one and the 4x4 switch one on the drivers one.

Next pop out the plate at the bottom holding the USB/3.5 line in jack. behind there you will find a 6 mm(??), take that out.

Take off the rubber mat that sits just below your display and you will find 2 6 mm(??) bolts, remove those.

Now you will be able to pull the whole center stack off, there are 6 clips but if you give a steady pull it will come. Be careful as there are many connectors that need to be disconnected before the stack will come completely off.

Now you will be looking at your stereo, remove the 4 bolts around that and it will slid out and behind it is the wiring that you will need.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which colors are which? As far speakers, power, remote goes?
Old 03-22-2011, 09:48 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Do yourself a favor and get a Metra BT-5520 harness, you wont have to cut into the factory harness. Its plug and play and can be returned to stock in the amount of time it takes to get the dash apart (about 5 min) It also takes the goofy colors that ford uses (don't recall) and changes them to the standard green and green with black stripe, purple and purple with black stripe, etc. I also took the ground wire from my LOC (PAC with gains, about $50 at best buy) and tied it into the harness to ground the whole system. I don't have any whine in my system and with the gains adjusted properly I don't get the bass cut off because my volume increases much faster. In fact with my system listed in my signature, a little past half volume almost feels like you are front and center at a rock concert! its a SCREAMER!!
Old 03-23-2011, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by beidle99
Do yourself a favor and get a Metra BT-5520 harness, you wont have to cut into the factory harness. Its plug and play and can be returned to stock in the amount of time it takes to get the dash apart (about 5 min) It also takes the goofy colors that ford uses (don't recall) and changes them to the standard green and green with black stripe, purple and purple with black stripe, etc. I also took the ground wire from my LOC (PAC with gains, about $50 at best buy) and tied it into the harness to ground the whole system. I don't have any whine in my system and with the gains adjusted properly I don't get the bass cut off because my volume increases much faster. In fact with my system listed in my signature, a little past half volume almost feels like you are front and center at a rock concert! its a SCREAMER!!
Was your stock system amplified? I'm trying to add a LOC but can't seem to identify the stock ford speaker wires.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:38 AM

If you are adding an Amp for a Sub, you should be able to tie into the factory harness that lead to the sub. You won't get the reduction in bass (although not exactly efficient) that others have complained about tapping into door speakers. The sub was controlled by the factory amp mounted to it. The door speakers are controlled (or should I say regulated?) by the other amp under the console, hence the loss of bass as the system gets louder.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Greenwing6
If you are adding an Amp for a Sub, you should be able to tie into the factory harness that lead to the sub. You won't get the reduction in bass (although not exactly efficient) that others have complained about tapping into door speakers. The sub was controlled by the factory amp mounted to it. The door speakers are controlled (or should I say regulated?) by the other amp under the console, hence the loss of bass as the system gets louder.
I thought the reduction in bass came from the DSP that everything passed through? If not, that is def an easier tap.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:00 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by m_trumble
Was your stock system amplified? I'm trying to add a LOC but can't seem to identify the stock ford speaker wires.
No, I have the basic single CD system with Sync and steering wheel controls. At first I wasn't going to touch the radio, I thought I had out grown the need for a loud stereo. But the first nice day driving home from work last spring with the windows down on the highway I couldn't hear my music. I got home that day and started planning
The following users liked this post:
Scapegoat81 (05-01-2017)

Quick Reply: LOC install???