Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Line Output Converter?????

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 03:40 AM

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Line Output Converter?????

All right, I keep reading about these LOC's, and I dont understand what their purpose is. For example, here is what I am installing in my truck and do I need a LOC? I am leaving the factory head unit in place. I am replacing all 4 door speakers with Infinity Reference 6832's. I am using a JVC amp (that I got for free when i ordered the speakers through Crutchfield) to power a 8" JL Audio wedge box. I am going to see how this combo sounds before I install an amp for the door speakers. Where in this equation am I needing a Line Output Converter?
Old 03-10-2010, 04:08 AM
Car Audio Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

loc is a real neat tool which is a cheap module for factory integration, it takes speaker level inputs, and creates rca outputs, that way it passes all the "high level input"s on the amps, it will save you money in wiring, for a simple loc its left speaker +- and right speaker +- in, then there are a red and white plug out where you connect the rca's into on one end, then into the amp on the other
Old 03-10-2010, 10:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, you will need a line out converter if you plan on using the stock radio. Aftermarket decks usually come with rca inputs for subwoofers or just speakers on the back of the deck. Using a stock radio you dont have that. So just as loganberry said you tap into the speaker level inputs creating your own rca inputs that you can run to your amp.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:25 PM

So is this a must have guys? I didn't use on of these LOC's when I put an amp and speakers in my Tundra. Simply ran the power up wire to the amp, and tied into the speaker level inputs on the amp for each speaker, at the speakers as opposed to at the head unit.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:26 PM
Car Audio Junkie

no you dont have to use the loc, but it makes a big difference
Old 03-10-2010, 12:31 PM

Can you explain with some detail what the big difference really is, I didn't catch that from the above explanations.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:34 PM
Car Audio Junkie

the sound quality is cleaner, look at it like your tv, regular high level input from the speaker wires is the "analog" so its ok quality, it works, but its not that great, rca's is like using "hdmi", its clean, clear, smooth and does what its supposed to every time
Old 03-10-2010, 01:32 PM

Okay, but if all I am using the amp for is to power the JL Audio sub box in the rear, I dont really need a LOC for the setup I decribed above..right? I am just going to tie into the pass rear door speaker to hook the amp/sub into the system.
Old 03-10-2010, 01:41 PM
Car Audio Junkie

you will get better sound quality for that too, no you dont need a loc, but since you bought a jl amp which are very overpriced its kind of like buyin a porsche and complaining every time you gotta put premium in it
Old 03-10-2010, 01:55 PM

For clarification, the amp is a JVC, the sub box is a JL. How would I tie a LOC into only the sub box? Thats whats got me confused. I am not amping the door speakers.

Quick Reply: Line Output Converter?????