Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Line out converter or speaker level inputs

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 10:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Line out converter or speaker level inputs

im looking to install an amp and sub in my 2013 f150, while keeping the stock HU. My amp has speaker inputs but im not sure whats better, running wire from my rear speakers to the speaker inputs or buying a lineout converter. I also dont want to mess up sync and steering wheel controls. If anyone can point me to a thread on this or share their experience i would greatly appreciate it.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:13 AM

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by mcbrown92
im looking to install an amp and sub in my 2013 f150, while keeping the stock HU. My amp has speaker inputs but im not sure whats better, running wire from my rear speakers to the speaker inputs or buying a lineout converter. I also dont want to mess up sync and steering wheel controls. If anyone can point me to a thread on this or share their experience i would greatly appreciate it.
No reason for a line out converter if you've already got speaker level inputs on your amp.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:56 AM
Dazed and Confused

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts

Buy a PAC AOEM FRD24. PNP install and has RCA for amp input. Works with Sync and no need to tap into speakers. There are several threads on this.
The following users liked this post:
mcbrown92 (03-23-2013)
Old 03-21-2013, 08:39 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I personally didn't use a PAC harness and used the Audicontrol lc6i, along with amp and new speakers. My SYNC worked fine as well as steering wheel control. Only issue I had with that set up is the speakers will pop when turning on the car. No way around it from the research I have done, unless you switch to an aftermarket HU.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:16 AM

Received 523 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by larryt1026
I personally didn't use a PAC harness and used the Audicontrol lc6i, along with amp and new speakers. My SYNC worked fine as well as steering wheel control. Only issue I had with that set up is the speakers will pop when turning on the car. No way around it from the research I have done, unless you switch to an aftermarket HU.
Use a small diode/resistor and a capacitor 10-50uF (both .99$ at radio shack). This will solve your sudden shut off and cure alot of the popping from the sudden turn on.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:05 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ibd2328
Use a small diode/resistor and a capacitor 10-50uF (both .99$ at radio shack). This will solve your sudden shut off and cure alot of the popping from the sudden turn on.
Thanks for the advice! But no need anymore since I already pulled it for one of those new Kenwood HU and Maestro. Works great and I love it so far. But it never shut off with the LOC..just one pop when my stereo powered on.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:00 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Use a line out converter like the LC2i. I hooked my sub and amp up originally just using the high level inputs on my amp. It sounded ok at lower volume, but when you turned it up over half way, the factory amp cuts the bass signal and it sounded like crap. The LC2i takes the signal and equalizes it throughout the volume level. Sounds much better, I even bought the remote level control for it so I can adjust the bass level up front.
The following users liked this post:
mcbrown92 (03-21-2013)
Old 03-21-2013, 07:51 PM

thanks for the advice guys, i think im going to go with the LC2i from crutchfield. Any one know of custom sub boxes made specifically for f150's besides the atrend brand?
Old 03-21-2013, 08:23 PM

is it possible to hookup you LOC off the rear speakers by splicing in at the speakers or is it better to do it at the head unit. I would like to do the upgrade without taking the dash apart, if i cant tie it in at the rear speakers ill just hire someone to do the job.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:23 PM

Received 523 Likes on 386 Posts

is it possible to hookup you LOC off the rear speakers by splicing in at the speakers or is it better to do it at the head unit. I would like to do the upgrade without taking the dash apart, if i cant tie it in at the rear speakers ill just hire someone to do the job.
Rears are fine.

Quick Reply: Line out converter or speaker level inputs