Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Lets talk door speakers

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 10:06 PM

Received 570 Likes on 473 Posts

Default Lets talk door speakers

I have a Kicker Substage on order from Benny at Levittown...cannot wait for it to arrive.
I'm now looking into just a simple replacement for the 5x7s in the doors. This is for the 2013 Platinum and I have the 8" MyFordTouch with Sony 8" sub, tweeters in the A-pillars etc. I'm shopping Crutchfield right now for a moderately priced set of 2-ways for the doors.

Here's the four I've narrowed it down to and I'd like some input from the crowds:
Alpine SPS-517 - $99 a pair, 88db sens.
Kicker KS68 - $99 a pair, 90db sens.
Polk db571 - $99 a pair, 93db sens.
Infinity Ref 8602cfx - $129 a pair, 93db sens.

Will I truly notice a 5db sensitivity difference?
I know the 8602cfx is a solid choice, but is it really worth the additional $60 over the others?
I understand that all of the choices above will outperform the factory Sony speakers, but I'm curious as to what you guys think is the best pairing to the truck and knowing that I have just the Kicker Substage coming (not the full blown powered setup with speakers, etc. Just the sub).
Old 02-28-2014, 10:14 PM

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

All of those are great speakers, as far as clarity i think nothing beats Infinity or MB Quartz. Its really about how much you plan on playing at a higher level as a lower grade will distort more than these listed. If you plan on keeping it at a medium to lower level id say just get some pioneer or sony's for half the price, which are still decent speakers. Believe it or not 5db does make a difference to those that truly appreciate the notes of music. Those that just simply listen to music wont notice a difference at all. If that makes sense
Old 02-28-2014, 10:46 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Originally Posted by MCDavis
I have a Kicker Substage on order from Benny at Levittown...cannot wait for it to arrive.
I'm now looking into just a simple replacement for the 5x7s in the doors. This is for the 2013 Platinum and I have the 8" MyFordTouch with Sony 8" sub, tweeters in the A-pillars etc. I'm shopping Crutchfield right now for a moderately priced set of 2-ways for the doors.

Here's the four I've narrowed it down to and I'd like some input from the crowds:

I know the 8602cfx is a solid choice, but is it really worth the additional $60 over the others?
I understand that all of the choices above will outperform the factory Sony speakers, but I'm curious as to what you guys think is the best pairing to the truck and knowing that I have just the Kicker Substage coming (not the full blown powered setup with speakers, etc. Just the sub).
I went with Polk db571 all 4 doors and could not be happier, and forget Crutchfield, get the same speakers on Amazon.com for half the cost.

Amazon.com: Polk Audio DB571 5-by-7-Inch Coaxial Speakers (Pair, Black): Car Electronics Amazon.com: Polk Audio DB571 5-by-7-Inch Coaxial Speakers (Pair, Black): Car Electronics

Now you have more $$ for other mods.

Last edited by RLXXI; 02-28-2014 at 10:49 PM.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:47 PM

Received 169 Likes on 137 Posts

If I may make a suggestion that runs counter to what you are thinking. I would buy a nice set of 6.5 components for the front doors. If you must use rear speakers (I never do) buy an inexpensive set of coaxials for the rear or even leave the stock speakers there. Ive been recommending the JBL P660c component set. Its not a direct drop-in. You will have to cut adapter plates out but it is worth it.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp
I went with Polk db571 all 4 doors and could not be happier, and forget Crutchfield, get the same speakers on Amazon.com for half the cost.

Amazon.com: Polk Audio DB571 5-by-7-Inch Coaxial Speakers (Pair, Black): Car Electronics

Now you have more $$ for other mods.

Amazon isn't a bad idea...the wife and I have Prime so that's not uncharted territory for me. I'm a little hesitant lately about Amazon though, as I've gotten some open box items recently that were obviously returns. They worked just fine, but it's made me skeptical.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by dipschnit
All of those are great speakers, as far as clarity i think nothing beats Infinity or MB Quartz. Its really about how much you plan on playing at a higher level as a lower grade will distort more than these listed. If you plan on keeping it at a medium to lower level id say just get some pioneer or sony's for half the price, which are still decent speakers. Believe it or not 5db does make a difference to those that truly appreciate the notes of music. Those that just simply listen to music wont notice a difference at all. If that makes sense
Makes perfect sense honestly.
I'm a mid level to three quarter level listener when alone in the truck. I can see how the Sony system is good for "most", but I consider myself a touch above most but not quite the level of pure audiophile.

Leaning towards the Polks right now.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:05 PM

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Well the polks will def satisfy
Old 02-28-2014, 11:22 PM

Received 871 Likes on 695 Posts

I just received my Infinity Ref 6832cf in today. Won't have time till Monday or Tuesday to install them.

Ordered them and the wiring harness adapters from Amazon for $125ish total.

Wayne
Old 03-01-2014, 10:26 AM

Received 265 Likes on 164 Posts

I've had Polk, Kicker, Infinity, Sony, Pioneer, Ke wood, and several cheap not worth mentioning brands of speakers in my vehicles in the past. After my experience with all of the others, I don't even look at anything other than infinity any more. They are very crisp, with sharp highs, which I love. Some people don't like their highs that bright, but it's perfect for me.

Right now I have infinity ref 6.5 components I. The front and infinity ref coax 6x8 in the back (reg cab) running off of a JL 360/4 amp. If I had it to do again, the only thing I would do different is get the 6x8 components for the front. I had them in my 06 reg cab, and they sounded a bit better than these. Of course, I had an aftermarket head unit and a different amp, so that could very well be the difference.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:39 AM
Cycle For Fun and Health

Received 495 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by MCDavis

Those Infinity speakers you listed are available at Amazon for $97.
I go to Crutchfield for the HU and technical support.
Go to Amazon for speakers and or individual parts.
The following users liked this post:
MCDavis (03-01-2014)

Quick Reply: Lets talk door speakers