Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Larger alternator or second battery or both?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 12:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Larger alternator or second battery or both?

I'm running two ten inch Kicker CVRs at 700 watts each and 4 kicker speakers at a 150 per pair for a total of 1700 watts. I'm having several problems with my electrical system as a result. My battery drains VERY quickly if the lights are on with the truck off. Even with the sound system turned off. And perhaps even worse than that, my alternator is turning at absolute full force. I had to jump start my mom's car this last weekend and I noticed that the alternator is actually turning so hard that it shakes in the bracket and makes a very loud noise. It's obvious the load is too much, but would I be better off adding a HO alternator, a second. (And isolated) battery, or both? Sorry for the wall of text. Thanks guys.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:14 PM

Received 523 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by theidiotbox
I'm running two ten inch Kicker CVRs at 700 watts each and 4 kicker speakers at a 150 per pair for a total of 1700 watts. I'm having several problems with my electrical system as a result. My battery drains VERY quickly if the lights are on with the truck off. Even with the sound system turned off. And perhaps even worse than that, my alternator is turning at absolute full force. I had to jump start my mom's car this last weekend and I noticed that the alternator is actually turning so hard that it shakes in the bracket and makes a very loud noise. It's obvious the load is too much, but would I be better off adding a HO alternator, a second. (And isolated) battery, or both? Sorry for the wall of text. Thanks guys.
I can't find any kicker cvr's (in 10") that run at 700 watts. I am assuming you are talking about maximum wattage(almost a made up number). Those CVR's are rated at 400 each, for a total of 800 together.

and 150 watts for kicker comps or coax's is almost un realistic. I think you are looking at max, instead of nominal power.

Anyways, altenator is always the best rout. However, it is the most expensive and time consuming. Try doing the big 3 and adding an extra battery if you don't have the time or money for the alt. upgrade.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:12 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

I have never seen an alternator go any faster than normal. I would say if it is whining and shaking then get a new alternator. Probably a new battery too.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:17 PM

Received 523 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by Wyo11Scab
I have never seen an alternator go any faster than normal. I would say if it is whining and shaking then get a new alternator.
Haha I agree.. Could be bearings loose in your alt, or even the interal voltage regulator causing the diminishing power lose.

Your alt should run in parallel with engine speed(varies on pully size for exact rpm/alt revollutions). It doesn't regulate your rpms needed to sustain current.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:58 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Go to autozone and have them test your alternator.
What amps do you have?
Old 03-07-2013, 05:40 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would do both a larger Alternator and a battery along with a Capacitor. There used to be a company called Ohio Generator that made high output Alternators for emergency and utility vehicles. They were great quality and had hot ratings of 150 amps and higher. Hot rating is what you want when looking for an Alternator. A deep cycle better will help and a capacitor well smooth out the electrical output by taking the large electrical burst (energy) from the cap instead of from the battery and alternator. When doing a large or high output car stereo system this is really where you should start is with the power.

Quick Reply: Larger alternator or second battery or both?