Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

KR Center Console Subwoofer: Best Choice!

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 11:47 AM
2013 King Ranch EB GemGrn

Received 80 Likes on 42 Posts
Default KR Center Console Subwoofer: Best Choice!

OK, got a quote from a guy yesterday to build a custom enclosure inside my center console (i'm still unhappy that someone thought it would be a good idea to put a sub box under the seat) and he quoted me on an 8" subwoofer. He was telling me about Morrel and how great they sound but I don't need audiophile quality anymore. I'm driving around with people in the truck a lot more these days so thump and good mid-bass is more what I'm after these days.

My standby has been Rockford Fosgate for the longest time, but I thought I would poll you guys to see what brand of 8" subwoofer you'd personally buy if you were mainly listening to Rock and Country, and you had the space constraints of the center console (that gives you guys a good idea of cu ft that i'm working with here, right?) to work around.

Any help is appreciated.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:20 PM

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Alpine Type-R
Infinity Reference / JBL GTO
TC Sounds Epic

There's nothing wrong with underseat boxes btw. I've installed a few of them with great results.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Ray21
Alpine Type-R
Infinity Reference / JBL GTO
TC Sounds Epic

There's nothing wrong with underseat boxes btw. I've installed a few of them with great results.
Underseat boxes are fine if you don't need that space they take up, which I do. That's the major reason for the relocation. The other reason is because you don't build subwoofer enclosures out of plastic because they flex too much and don't keep form in turn making the sound more punchy.

Thanks for the recommendations. I had suspected as much except the TC Sounds one. Never heard of those guys...any chance they are American made? None of the others ones are, and If i can stay with American products then I will.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:05 PM

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Zixxer10r
Underseat boxes are fine if you don't need that space they take up, which I do. That's the major reason for the relocation. The other reason is because you don't build subwoofer enclosures out of plastic because they flex too much and don't keep form in turn making the sound more punchy.

Thanks for the recommendations. I had suspected as much except the TC Sounds one. Never heard of those guys...any chance they are American made? None of the others ones are, and If i can stay with American products then I will.
Valid points! I've never messed with plastic enclosures because of exactly what you mention. All the underseat boxes I installed were ones I had built.

I don't believe any of them are made in America, the build quality on them is still solid though.

Digital Designs and Fi Car Audio are made in the US. Only DD offers 8" subs though, any way you can fit a 10?
Old 02-11-2013, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Ray21
Valid points! I've never messed with plastic enclosures because of exactly what you mention. All the underseat boxes I installed were ones I had built.

I don't believe any of them are made in America, the build quality on them is still solid though.

Digital Designs and Fi Car Audio are made in the US. Only DD offers 8" subs though, any way you can fit a 10?
No possible way a 8" will fit without modification to the console, which is not an option. This build will be completely stock from the outside. For now I've decided to just have the stock subwoofer relocated until the time comes that I can redesign the entire soundscape in the truck. I didn't want to be in a situation where the subwoofer sounds so good it outshines the other speakers. That would have just made me go out an buy the door speakers after my disappointment....and that's not in the cards yet.

North Texas Car Audio in Denton is doing the work for $250. For now this will have to do.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:58 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

jl audio makes a center console sub enclosure for trucks unsure if one for your model check there site

Quick Reply: KR Center Console Subwoofer: Best Choice!