Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Kicker upgrade questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 10:34 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Kicker upgrade questions

Hello,
I have been toying with upgrading the sound quality and output in my 2013 FX4 Screw with MFT/NAV/Sony sub for a while now. After much reading and debating to build my own setup, I decided to take advantage of the great deal being offered on the complete system package. I know that the full kit is not meant to be plug & play for my head unit. I would like to know if anyone has integrated the DSP 4.1 amp or bypassed the factory sony amp with the one provided in the full kit. It seems like it should only require cut/splice hard wiring. I have not been able to find a thread or post of anyone attempting or claiming to achieve it. Is there a benefit?

Secondly, pending the feedback from above. I plan to swap out all the factory speaker with the new ones provided in the kit. I would also like to know about adding a component set of 6.5" to the front doors. I can modify the door to make the custom enclosure and mount the tweeter. Will either the DSP unit and/or the factory amp handle a 2 ohm load to the front channel? What is the current front output at 4ohm and possible output at 2 ohm?

I know I asked a lot of questions. Trying to cover everything before I start the install and only do it once.

Thanks....
Old 04-22-2015, 06:45 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by ivandrea
Hello,
I have been toying with upgrading the sound quality and output in my 2013 FX4 Screw with MFT/NAV/Sony sub for a while now. After much reading and debating to build my own setup, I decided to take advantage of the great deal being offered on the complete system package. I know that the full kit is not meant to be plug & play for my head unit. I would like to know if anyone has integrated the DSP 4.1 amp or bypassed the factory sony amp with the one provided in the full kit. It seems like it should only require cut/splice hard wiring. I have not been able to find a thread or post of anyone attempting or claiming to achieve it. Is there a benefit?

Secondly, pending the feedback from above. I plan to swap out all the factory speaker with the new ones provided in the kit. I would also like to know about adding a component set of 6.5" to the front doors. I can modify the door to make the custom enclosure and mount the tweeter. Will either the DSP unit and/or the factory amp handle a 2 ohm load to the front channel? What is the current front output at 4ohm and possible output at 2 ohm?

I know I asked a lot of questions. Trying to cover everything before I start the install and only do it once.

Thanks....
A lot of work for not much improvement.
Why do you want to use the kit speakers and a component set? In the same door?
Try just the sub first and upgrade the door speakers. There are better ones than what are in the package.
If that doesn't work for you then add a DSP and amp after the Sony amp for more power.
Old 04-22-2015, 09:00 PM

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

I don't think your going to be able to use the DSP amp. The Sony system has it's volume controlled at the amp not the head unit so it's pretty much impossible to remove the Sony Amp.

I agree with Wyo11Scab add the sub and replace the door speakers. I would also consider using components in the front and coaxials in the rear. If you go much further than this you need a signal processor and/or summing device to make the outputs of the Sony amp usable as inputs to another amp.
Old 04-23-2015, 10:19 AM

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts

I have a related newbie question... I have done the Kicker sub upgrade and it is a great improvement over the factory sub.

The question is - if a DSP is installed after the Sony amp in order add an amp for the door speakers, should the Kicker sub be re-wired to receive signal from the DSP as well, or leave it connected per the instructions for the stock Sony system?

Last edited by arokcrwlr; 04-24-2015 at 11:22 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 04-23-2015, 12:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was looking to add the components to the door for better staging. I did not know the volume control flowed through the Sony Amp. Thought it was handled in the head unit.
Old 04-23-2015, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by arokcrwlr
I have a related newbie question... I have done the Kicker sub upgrade and it is a great improvement over the factory sub.

The question is - if a DSP is installed, after the Sony amp, to add an amp for the door speakers, should the Kicker sub be re-wired to receive signal from the DSP as well, or leave it connected per the instructions for the stock Sony system?
The DSP would go after the Sony amp and then to another amp for the door speakers. If you don't run the sub out from the Sony amp to the DSP then nothing should need to be rewired for the sub.
Old 04-24-2015, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Wyo11Scab
The DSP would go after the Sony amp and then to another amp for the door speakers. If you don't run the sub out from the Sony amp to the DSP then nothing should need to be rewired for the sub.
Thanks, that makes sense. However, would it be worthwhile to run the sub out of the Sony amp to the DSP - or just leave it as is?
Old 04-24-2015, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by arokcrwlr
Thanks, that makes sense. However, would it be worthwhile to run the sub out of the Sony amp to the DSP - or just leave it as is?
I would. The purpose of a DSP is to configure all of he frequencies and to add back the bass the factory HU rolls off.
Old 04-24-2015, 03:29 PM

Ok, great - I think I'm actually starting to understand this stuff...

Thanks for your patience.

Quick Reply: Kicker upgrade questions