Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Kicker upgrade or buy Aftermarket?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2016, 02:51 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Kicker upgrade or buy Aftermarket?

Hey guys,

I have to know by Sunday evening bc he's going to sell it. A buddy of mine has a new OEM Kicker speaker/sub for $675. Most shops want $200 to install it.

Is it going to make that much of a difference in sound at that price or am I better off buying 4 JL audio, kicker, infinity, etc 6x8's with a 5 channel amp so when I'm ready I can buy a sub later for it?

I'm thinking of going on eBay, buying 4 door speakers and an amp which would be at appx 400w RMS total. You can do that with labor for about $500-$600 and sound way better, right?

I've never heard the OEM kicker so I cannot see if it's worth almost $700 not including labor.
Old 05-07-2016, 10:12 PM
WindowGuy

Received 153 Likes on 135 Posts

I have the complete Kickers system. I like it pretty well. It sound s a whole lot better than stock. I got mone for $600 and instlled it myself. What I like most about the Kicker system is the DSP. I like that it's tune for the truck. I'm happy with the sound stage. I do wish the for the doors put out more power.
Old 05-09-2016, 12:22 AM

How long did it take to install? Are you using the stock head unit?
Old 05-09-2016, 07:05 AM
WindowGuy

Received 153 Likes on 135 Posts

I installed it in phases. I did the processor and the sub first. Another day I did the front speakers, and the rear speakers another day. I dynamatted the doors which took longer too. I have an Advent head unit that gives me Nav and a back up camera
Old 05-09-2016, 08:15 AM

Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Installing the Kicker upgrade is very easy. The instructions are detailed, and there are a couple of write ups here and videos on youtube if you get stuck.

Took me about 2 1/2 - 3 hours. Going slow and double checking everything.

I still have the stock head unit. Sound is great. The DSP really cleans up the sound. You can hear instruments clearly that you did not realize where in the music before. And the sub hits hard and crisp. I am very happy with it.
Old 05-09-2016, 08:31 AM
Mass Effect

Received 84 Likes on 66 Posts

That seems like an awful lot of cash for a low end sub like that. Youre always gonna be able to do better and for less money in the aftermarket. OEM sound system components are usually really bad but really expensive. Even the name brand stuff like Sony, Alpine, Rockford Fosgate and such are still their low bidder stuff at a premium price.

The only snag in these new trucks is if you've got the big touch screen with half the vehicle features running through it. Then it can be a pain to install aftermarket stuff. If you've got the base model CD player then it'll be a whole lot easier. If you're gonna do new speakers, I'd suggest 6.5's with adapters than 6x8's. 6x8's are usually going to be lower quality speakers not because of the shape but because there are very few (I dont know of any) quality speakers made in that size.

The OEM stuff might be the easiest to do because it'll drop in but I think with some work, you could do a lot better with aftermarket stuff.
Old 05-09-2016, 09:53 AM

Received 109 Likes on 64 Posts

I have the kicker system, dsp, speaker, sub. Dont waste your money
Old 05-09-2016, 10:57 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the Kicker sub that came from the factory. It makes a loud thump every time it shuts down. It has been at the dealer for over a week as they try and fix it. I will never buy anything Kicker again. My speakers are Polk in rears and JL up front, which will be run by a small JL amp. I plan to keep the sub, but really feel like throwing it out because of the problems I have been having. The only good thing about it is that it fits behind the rear seat, so it does not take up floor space.
Old 05-09-2016, 01:02 PM

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Macleod, you say go 6.5" with an adapter. Wouldn't that make it sound sloppy bc now you have 3" of "hole" around the housing?

Or does the adapter close off that area?

Also, you said you don't know of decent 6x8's but what do you think about this review that is for 2016 best 6x8's?

https://www.caraudionow.com/best-6-x-8-car-speakers/
Old 05-09-2016, 08:44 PM
Mass Effect

Received 84 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by bb123
Thanks everyone for your replies.

Macleod, you say go 6.5" with an adapter. Wouldn't that make it sound sloppy bc now you have 3" of "hole" around the housing?

Or does the adapter close off that area?

Also, you said you don't know of decent 6x8's but what do you think about this review that is for 2016 best 6x8's?

https://www.caraudionow.com/best-6-x-8-car-speakers/
First let me warn you, I'm kind of a speaker snob so I'm gonna turn my nose up to speakers most people would be totally fine with, so grain of salt and all that.

That said, a few of those were 5x7's. Of the ones listed, I'd opt for the Infinitys first and Alpine PDX probably 2nd. Kicker does not make good speakers. I've never liked their stuff. JL makes superb subs and amps but rather blah and boring speakers.

The 6.5 adapters would fill up the entire speaker opening and you'd just have the opening for the speaker itself.

So yeah, if you're just looking for a simple drop in solution, and there's nothing wrong with that, I'd go for the Infinitys off that list. Check out Focal and Morel.

Quick Reply: Kicker upgrade or buy Aftermarket?