Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Kicker Substage Upgrade - Bass Knob Option?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 06:29 PM

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Kicker Substage Upgrade - Bass **** Option?

I have a '14 with MFT and Sony audio. I have ordered the Kicker Substage sub upgrade and was wondering about installing a bass control **** with this system. My son has one in his truck and I use it when I have to drive it, as he keeps it set on 11.

I see there are some 'universal' *****, but I'm wondering if those would work. Has anyone else installed one? I guess I'm looking for the wiring instructions for this.
Old 05-01-2015, 10:08 AM

I called Kicker today to see if they would give me the wiring schematic for the Substage unit. No dice. He said their OEM agreement prevents them from sharing the schematic. Whatever.

I'm hoping that my local car audio shop could figure it out. Just need to identify the line out from the head unit and the line in to the sub.
Old 05-02-2015, 10:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

from what i've read, the big plug on the sub has a green & green/black wires, and those are the signal lines. i've got a **** and some adapters so whenever i've got some free time i'm going to tinker with it a bit and see if it'll work. if it doesn't then i'll just splice them back together and be fine with the way it is.
Old 05-02-2015, 04:38 PM
scp

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Here is what I found posted elsewhere...more info than you need but also has the info you need

Originally Posted by dan02gt

Quote:

Originally Posted by needparts View Post

Can you explain more how you upgraded the amp on the sub please? Or showpics too

Yeah sure. The upgrade is pretty easy.

I cut the wiring harness where it goes into the amp. There are 8 wires inthe harness.

Red and Black are power and ground but at only 14 Ga they are to small torun anything more than the 200 watt amp that comes in the the system. So Ibought a 8 Ga Kicker amp install kit for about $25.00 at Sonic.

The voice coils on the sub are the blue/blue black and gray/gray black. Thesub is basically a Kicker CompVT with dual 1 Ohm voice coils. So I connectedthe blue black wire to the gray wire to put the voice coils in series for a 2Ohm load to the amp. The blue wire becomes your sub positive and the gray blackwire is your negative to the amp.

The green/green black wires are your signal in.

On the wires, the solid color is positive and the one with the black stripeis negative.

For the amp I went with the Kicker KX400.1. It makes 400 watts RMS at 2Ohms. According to Kicker the 10" CompVT can handle 400 watts RMS so thisis a good match on power. I choose the KX400.1 for a couple of reasons:

It can take high and low level inputs.

It has multiple turn on options eliminating the need to run a remote wire.

It is small in size

It comes with the bass level remote and has a nice built in cross over andbass boost system

They can be found refurbished with a 1 year warranty for about $160.00.

The JL XD3001/v2 also has these features and would be a good choice as well.

I bought these from Amazon to turn the signal input into RCAs to feed itinto the amp.

Amazon.com: IEC 18 AWG 6' Speaker Wire Pair with RCA Males -Black/Red: Electronics"><span style=Amazon.com: IEC 18 AWG 6' Speaker Wire Pair with RCA Males -Black/Red: Electronics" /> Amazon.com: IEC 18 AWG 6' Speaker Wire Pair with RCA Males -Black/Red: Electronics">Amazon.com: IEC 18 AWG 6' Speaker Wire Pair with RCA Males -Black/Red: Electronics

You'll wire them to the green/green black wires on the Kicker amp harness.

That pretty much all there is to it.

The following users liked this post:
singleshot67 (05-03-2015)
Old 05-03-2015, 05:18 PM

Sounds like the green and green/black are the wires to splice into. I'm assuming that if I splice RCA males onto the 4 cut wires, I could use something like the PAC LC-1.

Old 05-04-2015, 01:25 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by singleshot67
Sounds like the green and green/black are the wires to splice into. I'm assuming that if I splice RCA males onto the 4 cut wires, I could use something like the PAC LC-1.

You will need to use a low level converter first. It looks like they are high level
Old 05-04-2015, 08:29 PM

Wouldn't these already be low level signals?
Old 05-05-2015, 12:38 PM
scp

No...the Kicker sub upgrade...runs on high level signals.
Old 05-05-2015, 05:53 PM

So, if I convert the signals from high to low before it goes into the amp, will that mess up the signals that the Kicker unit is expecting?

I assume those are the wires I tie into....or is the wires between amp and sub?
Old 05-05-2015, 06:38 PM
scp

The amp on the Kicker sub will only except high level inputs. I contacted Kicker support with a similar question and was told the amp will only accept a high level signal.

I don't think the sub volume on the kicker upgrade is going to run you out...besides your factory adjustments still work.

Last edited by scp; 05-05-2015 at 06:48 PM.

Quick Reply: Kicker Substage Upgrade - Bass Knob Option?