Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

kicker subs..........

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 02:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default kicker subs..........

plan on buying the 10 inch solo classics powered by a zx500.1, does any one know if the amp is good enough for the subs or will I be underpowering them, should I just buy the 10 inch cvrs instead?
Old 10-12-2010, 04:49 PM

Default my $.02

I think that your amp would work great.... if you were running just 1 Solo Classic Dual 4. Just when you keep saying subs, I am thinking you are planning on running 2 of them???? If that's the case......

The CVRs aren't really much less as far as price, and only 50W RMS less also, which isn't anything at all. I would go with solo classic subs, and you have a little more room to upgrade in the future if you want to get a larger amp. If I were you I would get 2 dual 4 ohm solo classic subs, and you can get an amp that puts out 1000 watts at 1 ohm for a pretty cheap price.... There are plenty of 1000 watt amps that are damn decent for around $200 (on ebay) and you will be much happier that way. Run yourself 4 guage power setup, and put 500 to each solo classic. I think it'd bring a smile to your face! That's my 2 cents !

DD

Last edited by pizzadave; 10-12-2010 at 04:53 PM.
Old 10-12-2010, 04:55 PM

well I already bought the amp so thats why I am using it. I already have the 4 guage wire, and the box (from supercrewsound) is beng shipped today! So.... I was just curious about the solo classics, havent heard much about them, plus why do you say 4 ohm? I thought that 2 ohm is louder, right? I get lost when it comes to ohms and stuff, I know how to hook the stuff up but I dont really know how it works lol
Old 10-12-2010, 06:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Power handling isn't a power requirement. I've never seen a sub genuinely underpowered. I've seen sub setups that were not capable of doing what the owner expected but in every case that had nothing to do with power and everything to do with the subs themselves and the install.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by 4dalltheWay
well I already bought the amp so thats why I am using it. I already have the 4 guage wire, and the box (from supercrewsound) is beng shipped today! So.... I was just curious about the solo classics, havent heard much about them, plus why do you say 4 ohm? I thought that 2 ohm is louder, right? I get lost when it comes to ohms and stuff, I know how to hook the stuff up but I dont really know how it works lol

When you hear 2 ohms is louder, just means you can get more power out of an amp when the resistance is lower. Picture ohms like you running in water... in two feet of water, you can "run" faster, but in 4 feet of water, it takes more effort to do the same. But in order to get 2 ohms out of your amp, which is as low as that amp goes, you need to hook up 2 dual 2 ohm subs. Go to rockfordfosgate.com and take a look at the woofer wiring wizard... then you will see what I mean. You need to order the subs matched to the amp, or order the amp matched to the subs. You will be giving each sub around 250 watts, but that would move the subs pretty well.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:48 PM

Ok thanks for clearing up the ohm setup, I understand it now. Either way though I am still going to use the zx500.1 amp, its brand new and I'm not going to return/sale it. So, as far as subs go, will it be beneficial to go with 2 10 inch cvrs or I'll be fine with the 2 10 inch solo classics? I want to have heads turning and sitting in the cab hard to breathe approach. Yes, I want to keep my back seat and yes I want to use 10s and yes I am on a budget lol!
Old 10-13-2010, 12:35 PM

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

Did you pay extra for added depth on the SCS box? If not, you can't fit either. Out of the two, the Classic should be louder (just looking at the sensitivity) but you'll do better looking elsewhere for something a lot more efficient. I recommend not getting stuck on Kicker.
Old 10-13-2010, 02:41 PM

yea I got the added depth, and Im stuck on kicker because thats just what ive had in the past....
Old 10-13-2010, 11:03 PM

How much depth are you working with? You can pick up a set of REaudio SRX10s... they are around 6 inches deep, but they are right in the perfect realm of the wattage you want. They are on ebay as a pair for $175... and would be a damn decent sub......They have a touch lower sensitivity rating, but they have a reduced RMS rating compared to the Solo Classics. I guess I have never been a fan of kicker's sound quality. (RE isn't much to brag for SQ with either BUT) I have done a few sub setups using Kickers... always seemed pretty loud, just not super clean.... Anyways, if I were you, building on a budget - I think the SRX10s would work out just beautifully! Just remember to order them in Dual 2 ohms and wire them right... to give each 250..... Giving the 300 watt RMS subs 250 watts should work out great, and you should be pretty happy with what you hear! My friend has an RE audio SE10 setup in the deeper supercrewsound box with 750 watts going to each, and it sounds excellent. Feels like someone kicking the back of your seat. His system is just a little bit louder than my setup.... But... I've def. got him on the SQ side!

Anyways, I hope this helps!
Old 10-14-2010, 06:10 PM

Thanks for the help pizza dave!

Quick Reply: kicker subs..........