Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Kicker Soundstage DSP Amp Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 05:03 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Kicker Soundstage DSP Amp Question

Ok, so I have recently installed the DSP Amp from the Soundstage package in my 2014 F150. I had already upgraded my door speakers and also added a Kicker Hideaway sub in the back. I tapped into the rear speaker wires for the Hi Inputs for the Kicker Sub. My question is about the Sub lead off of the Kicker DSP Amp......do they carry a full range signal back to the Kicker sub that goes with that system or do they just carry the correct crossed-over sub signal back to the unit? I am wondering if I should remove the full range leads from the rear door speakers to the Hideaway and run from the DSP Amp lead instead??? The Hideaway has a crossover on it that can be adjusted, but..... if that signal coming from the DSP Amp has the proper cross-over signal it just seems it would be much better/easier than having to dial it in myself. Does anyone know the answer about that sub lead??
Old 03-24-2016, 05:40 PM

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

I've been meaning to find out, but I haven't looked into it yet. However, these guys might know:

KICKER Customer Service
Email: warranty@kicker.com
Phone: 1-405-624-8510
M-F 8am-5pm Central Time
The following users liked this post:
ssmorga78 (03-24-2016)
Old 03-24-2016, 05:47 PM

Just got off the phone with them..... they said those leads send a "Subwoofer" signal, but there is a crossover built into the Kicker Sub with the system. I asked if you needed a crossover with the signal coming out and they recommended always using the crossover that is built into whatever amp you happen to be powering your own subs with. SO....I would just think it might not be a full range signal, but you will still need a crossover on the amp to get it where it needs to be.
Old 03-25-2016, 10:44 AM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by ssmorga78
Just got off the phone with them..... they said those leads send a "Subwoofer" signal, but there is a crossover built into the Kicker Sub with the system. I asked if you needed a crossover with the signal coming out and they recommended always using the crossover that is built into whatever amp you happen to be powering your own subs with. SO....I would just think it might not be a full range signal, but you will still need a crossover on the amp to get it where it needs to be.
You should be good the way you have it then but if you are anything like me then I would be switching the sub wires to the DSP.
Old 03-25-2016, 03:26 PM
First in, Last out.

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

I have the same question as you. My upgraded speakers will be here on Monday. I'm ordering a Kicker Hideaway next week. I've seen a few of the DSP's for sale and was thinking of adding that as well.

A few questions...........

Did the DSP really make a noticeable difference? Are you going to get a crossover of just leave it as is? Where in the back did you mount the Hideaway?

Last edited by Enginner5; 03-25-2016 at 03:29 PM.
Old 03-25-2016, 03:37 PM

Well, I do know that the DSP amp has some lo cut in it for the door speakers. So I am actually worried about not get it ting the full low spectrum since I tapped into the door speakers for the sub signal. So I am going to take it apart and use the sub lead from the DSP.
And to answer the question about whether it is worth it and if you can tell a difference on the doors.......it's like Night & Day! There is a clarity to the door speakers that is just amazing. Short of replacing the entire head unit (which I may end up doing down the road to get rid of volume limitations) it's the best upgrade you can do for the stereo......and also the easiest.
The following users liked this post:
Enginner5 (03-25-2016)
Old 03-25-2016, 03:39 PM

Oh, and my Hideaway is behind the small jump seat. I didn't want to cut any of the carpet away on the back wall and yo7 have to forcefully lock the seat in upright position. So I threw it behind the small seat as I almost never raise it up. I do raise the larger section up quiet a bit getting my dog in and out of the car for vet and grooming trips, so I wanted to not run the risk of damaging the unit if it was behind the bigger seat.
Old 03-25-2016, 05:28 PM
First in, Last out.

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Please keep us updated. I'm going to try and pick up a DSP so I'd like to know how it works out for you with the sub lead. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Kicker Soundstage DSP Amp Question