Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Kicker DSP......

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 01:08 PM
First in, Last out.

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Default Kicker DSP......

I have seen a few of the Kicker DSP's that came with the Kicker SoundStage kits available for sale. Can the DSP be used alone without the sub on my factory 4.2 stereo? I'm going to upgrade my speakers, something simple without an amp, and wondering if the Kicker DSP would even be a benefit...?
Old 03-19-2016, 02:34 PM
F150 Jr Vendor

Received 1,298 Likes on 904 Posts

I don't really see how it would benefit you much without going the full system upgrade route.

Serving the forum for over 8 years

Brands we sell include: Kicker, NavTV, PAC, CARiD, Dayton, Second Skin, Audio Control, Skar Audio, JL Audio, Focal and more.
PM me for special pricing as our contracts do not allow for posting prices publicly.

Old 03-19-2016, 04:05 PM
First in, Last out.

I'd thought of maybe picking up a sub from the SoundStage kit at a later time possibly.

I'm trying to do this in stages over time to avoid dropping all of the money at once. I planned on doing the speakers first. Then something like a Kicker Hideaway sub. I'm also trying to keep this simple as I'd rather not run a separate amp for the speakers and separate amp for the sub.

Any suggestions for a simple system, speakers and powered sub? I'm looking for better sound (not loudness) and simplicity of installation. Maybe at some point down the road changing out the factory HU.
Old 03-19-2016, 06:18 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

When I installed the Kicker VSS (in my 2015 from the 2013/2014 vss model) I installed the under dash DSP first. It did sound better but because of the internal circuitry and crossover, it did drop some of the bass. However, that is good with not sending too much bass to the door speakers. Then after some weeks I installed a separate amp and sub (opted not to go with the floor mounted vss subwoofer so I did not lose floor space since it was NOT the behind the seat 2015 version).

The problem will be getting the Kicker DSP amp separate. The last I checked, Kicker does not sell the DSP amp separately. I had initially called their support line to see about getting just the DSP amp/mount bracket and harness but was told it was not sold separately. That was Oct/Nov 2015. So unless you find on on eBay or something you might have trouble going that route in stages. I liked it since it was plug and play to my factory radio with no cutting of wires and happy with the sound.
Old 03-19-2016, 06:24 PM
First in, Last out.

Originally Posted by UH60Hosier
When I installed the Kicker VSS (in my 2015 from the 2013/2014 vss model) I installed the under dash DSP first. It did sound better but because of the internal circuitry and crossover, it did drop some of the bass. However, that is good with not sending too much bass to the door speakers. Then after some weeks I installed a separate amp and sub (opted not to go with the floor mounted vss subwoofer so I did not lose floor space since it was NOT the behind the seat 2015 version).

The problem will be getting the Kicker DSP amp separate. The last I checked, Kicker does not sell the DSP amp separately. I had initially called their support line to see about getting just the DSP amp/mount bracket and harness but was told it was not sold separately. That was Oct/Nov 2015. So unless you find on on eBay or something you might have trouble going that route in stages. I liked it since it was plug and play to my factory radio with no cutting of wires and happy with the sound.

Did you have any problems hooking up just the DSP alone? I'm thinking of doing this and speakers first. Then maybe going withe the Kicker Hideaway sub or something similar. What amp/sub did you go with?

There have been several DSP's available on Ebay and here on this site in the classifieds with the wiring harness.

Last edited by Enginner5; 03-19-2016 at 06:39 PM.
Old 03-19-2016, 07:14 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Here is my link to the installation of the Kicker DSP and separate amp/sub combo. I intend on upgrading the amp (more power than 125w per speaker currently) soon. Likely to go with a JL Audio DX 600/1. It has a small footprint and should work great.

https://www.f150forum.com/f30/2015-f...pgrade-328901/

I had ZERO issues hooking up the 2013/2014 wiring kit to my 2015 radio. I have the touch screen with navigation and ordered the 2013/2014 comparable VSS system from Rogel Ford. As previously mentioned I hooked up the DSP and used just that for a few weeks. Actually, I think it was a little over a month. I did not upgrade the door speakers yet but eventually will. It sounded better even with just the stock speakers.
The following users liked this post:
Enginner5 (03-19-2016)

Quick Reply: Kicker DSP......