Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Kenwood Excelon DNN990HD Wifi at CES today

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 08:07 PM
2012 FX4 ECOBooooost

Received 85 Likes on 39 Posts

Default Kenwood Excelon DNN990HD Wifi at CES today

oooo... I cant wait to get my hands on this

http://www.ecoustics.com/products/ke...dnn770hd-wifi/
Attached Images  
Old 01-08-2013, 08:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the DNX9990HD and will definitely be upgrading to this when it comes out!
Old 01-09-2013, 05:22 PM

Received 124 Likes on 102 Posts

...what do they say? "this changes everything..." ? (evil chuckle...)
Thanks Vin- another excuse to spend money....
Old 01-09-2013, 11:40 PM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Sorry but for that kind of money just buy an iPad. How much crap do you need in your car
Maybe if I lived in my truck. Maybe I'm just getting old.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:03 PM

Received 456 Likes on 280 Posts

For that kind of money just do a tablet install... Save a CRAP load and upgrade the rest of the system
Old 01-10-2013, 04:37 PM
2012 FX4 ECOBooooost

tablet installs are cool but they are far from being a fluid working headunit... i wish they would come out with and open source head unit that would run android, ect.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by CuznVinny
tablet installs are cool but they are far from being a fluid working headunit... i wish they would come out with and open source head unit that would run android, ect.
Mine is fairly fluid!! I can deal with having to use blue tooth audio because the tablet offers 10x what that head unit does not. Can that unit play games while your wife is shopping spending all your money I think not. nothing like playing Star Wars angry birds in your dash and having someone knock on your window an ask 50 questions. Or go to an audo shop and have the owner come out and take pictures of your truck and offer you 40% off your stuff cause they want you to come show their staff how you did it.

1700 is just stupid for that price I could do 3 tablet installs. Fluid !!! Is should drive the darn truck for that price

Last edited by geno51; 01-10-2013 at 05:09 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:03 PM
2012 FX4 ECOBooooost

Originally Posted by geno51
Mine is fairly fluid!! I can deal with having to use blue tooth audio because the tablet offers 10x what that head unit does not. Can that unit play games while your wife is shopping spending all your money I think not. nothing like playing Star Wars angry birds in your dash and having someone knock on your window an ask 50 questions. Or go to an audo shop and have the owner come out and take pictures of your truck and offer you 40% off your stuff cause they want you to come show their staff how you did it.

1700 is just stupid for that price I could do 3 tablet installs. Fluid !!! Is should drive the darn truck for that price
Fairly Fluid??? My point exactly!

Reaching up to play game on the dash doesn't seen fun to me, maybe if was in my lap, is that the best you've got as an example for a "fluid" head-unit, angry birds, lol. Dont get me wrong, not knocking it, its different and custom, i'll give it props, but it far from "fluid"

Let me ask you this, can your tab do this: (my idea of a fluid head unit)
-my daughter in the back watching a dvd on the headrest monitors, while having full control and sound of it
-while I listen to music in the front
-while Navigation System is giving me the way.
-if someone calls I can see and answer it hands free
-if someone texts I can see and respond hands free
-my rear camera is split screen watching my trailer
-all with superb, sound quality and processing
all this going on at the same time, controlled from one unit, and that's just a small example of how I use it, and thats not even a fraction of its potential. As far as games if I needed, I'll put a xbox on it and play real games.

For some of us the sound quality and system tuning capabilities alone are worth the extra coin, but if you want to play Fruit Ninja and listen to Pandora with soso sound quality, sure save the money.

saying "1700 is just stupid for that price I could do 3 tablet installs" is the same as saying buying a Lexus is stupid because I could get 3 Corolla's for that price.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:14 PM
Girthy Member

Received 106 Likes on 93 Posts

Reaching up to play game on the dash doesn't seen fun to me, maybe if was in my lap, is that the best you've got as an example for a "fluid" head-unit, angry birds, lol. Dont get me wrong, not knocking it, its different and custom, i'll give it props, but it far from "fluid"

-my daughter in the back watching a dvd on the headrest monitors, while having full control and sound of it
-while Navigation System is giving me the way.
all this going on at the same time, controlled from one unit, and that's just a small example of how I use it, and thats not even a fraction of its potential. As far as games if I needed, I'll put a xbox on it and play real games.

For some of us the sound quality and system tuning capabilities alone are worth the extra coin, but if you want to play Fruit Ninja and listen to Pandora with soso sound quality, sure save the money.

saying "1700 is just stupid for that price I could do 3 tablet installs" is the same as saying buying a Lexus is stupid because I could get 3 Corolla's for that price.
Ohhhh.

That said, I DO think the in-dash tablet installations geno51 and others have done are cool. As a diyer I have definitely got the itch so long as I don't have to use bluetooth audio.
That head unit is beyond sweet tho!

Last edited by sllydderrr; 01-10-2013 at 06:16 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:38 PM

Actully yes it can do this with android mirror and still costs less
Yes you can still listen to Sirius the way mine is set. And MP3s with some rooting im working on it now
-while Navigation System is giving me the way
Yep see above .
Yep sync does that Actully I can do viedos calls
Yep see android mirror
nope only down fall but with the mirror camera I have not a problem
With all the money saved install a Cleansweep and have even better soundhttp://www.amazon.com/JL-Audio-CL441.../dp/B000OI7TTI
I can still do that too but a xbox in the car is a little 1990s

So in your terms is that the best you can come up with ! LOL

See responses above. Your not up to date on the capability of android i guess.

Say what you will but our local high end audio installer clearly said the future is tablet installs he was excited to go to CES because there is a ton of stuff coming out to help integrate tablets more easily. He sells kenwood and Maestro units and even he thinks they are overpriced.
Android mirroring video just to catch you up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-UXDi3dm3U

And with the money saved I would just by my daugher her own tablet that will likley keep her more more busy then a movie

Not trying to pick a fight I just think nearly 2k for a head unit is like paying for a lexus and getting the coralla you mentioned corallas have come along way though LOL!!!

Im sorry I think its WAY over priced its just an opinion you don't have to get your panties in a wad mark my words though in 5-7 years double dins will be a thing of the past. CarPCs and tablets are the future

I spent $1200 on custom retro headlights to some I am stupid for doing that its just an opinion.

Last edited by geno51; 01-10-2013 at 07:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Kenwood Excelon DNN990HD Wifi at CES today