Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Kenwood DNX893 / Ipod

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2017, 08:00 PM
On down the highway

Received 1,667 Likes on 1,088 Posts

Default Kenwood DNX893 / Ipod

Bought the 893... Good deck, completely happy with all but one thing & if this saves someone $$$ its worth the post.
Unit comes with 2 usb ports.
I've always drove around with my ole ipod classic in the glove box. The 893 is not compatible with that gen Ipod. Ok, I bite a bullet and buy a new ipod for 400 bucks (yes I have over 100 gig in music)... The 893 works great with the Ipod but heres the deal. Even with 2 usb ports only one plays the ipod... the same port that uses android auto or apple carplay. Can't have both at the same time.
So, had my audio guy call kenwood and yep... they designed it this way figuring no one uses the ipod anymore...I get it, everyone streams now, but I'm old and grew up with records and 8 tracks.
Anyway, heres the solution my audio guy had.. I put all 100 gig of stuff on a thumbdrive and it works flawless in the spare usb port for music and on screen videos & my android auto port stays open...
So I got stuck with a 400 buck ipod but my kid is happy cause I gave it to him
Old 01-21-2017, 08:50 PM
Sh!tllbuffout

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts

I guess you shouldve asked here first lol. I kinda did the same thing a few years ago just not so costly. I bought a sony deck that had the "tune tray" instead of the CD player bc i already had sonys mp3 walkman. After dealing with puting the walkman in and out of the silly tray for a while i finally realized what that usb port was designed for. Keep in mind this was before i had a smartphone and knew how great bluetooth is.
Old 01-22-2017, 05:07 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by Mudder Fudder
Bought the 893... Good deck, completely happy with all but one thing & if this saves someone $$$ its worth the post.
Unit comes with 2 usb ports.
I've always drove around with my ole ipod classic in the glove box. The 893 is not compatible with that gen Ipod. Ok, I bite a bullet and buy a new ipod for 400 bucks (yes I have over 100 gig in music)... The 893 works great with the Ipod but heres the deal. Even with 2 usb ports only one plays the ipod... the same port that uses android auto or apple carplay. Can't have both at the same time.
So, had my audio guy call kenwood and yep... they designed it this way figuring no one uses the ipod anymore...I get it, everyone streams now, but I'm old and grew up with records and 8 tracks.
Anyway, heres the solution my audio guy had.. I put all 100 gig of stuff on a thumbdrive and it works flawless in the spare usb port for music and on screen videos & my android auto port stays open...
So I got stuck with a 400 buck ipod but my kid is happy cause I gave it to him
Yep I run my tunes on a 64GB thumb drive. Only way to go
Old 01-22-2017, 05:31 PM
On down the highway

Received 1,667 Likes on 1,088 Posts

Originally Posted by Wyo11Scab
Yep I run my tunes on a 64GB thumb drive. Only way to go
lol, its what I get. In my narrow minded defense, had a 2014 jeep that the usb was only good for 32 gig, 64 if you hacked it. I could never get it to work right.. oh, my kid gave back the ipod, said no use for it
Old 01-23-2017, 11:20 AM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by Mudder Fudder
lol, its what I get. In my narrow minded defense, had a 2014 jeep that the usb was only good for 32 gig, 64 if you hacked it. I could never get it to work right.. oh, my kid gave back the ipod, said no use for it

Now that's funny
Old 01-23-2017, 03:03 PM
Sh!tllbuffout

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Wyo11Scab
[/B]

Now that's funny
Yeah. Any kid that has a phone already wont need the ipod. I give mine to the kids who dont have a phone yet. Yep. Im that ruthless lol. Below high school has no need for a phone.