Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Kenwood DNX890HD and backup cam HELP

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 09:44 PM
DTH

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Kenwood DNX890HD and backup cam HELP

I installed my head unit about 10 months ago and now installing a backup cam from ADC Mobile. I'm using the positive and negative from head unit and the RCA connecter for the cam but don't seem to be getting power coming out on red (power) wire to turn camera on, I've got power going into head unit on the purple/white wire. Anyways with it hooked up this way the only option I get in the setup/camera screen is for R-Cam Interruption and non of the others. With the interruption turned on and shift into reverse I get a black screen with saying check surroundings before backing up but no pic of whats behind me and the same with interruption turned off and using AUD button to trigger the cam. Is it possible I missed a setting somewhere or maybe my hu is hooped not allowing power out to turn the on. Is it possible I need an alternate power source other then off of hu, I would like to have it come on with shifting into reverse and not to have to press a button to turn. I have looked in the right kick panel area but can't figure out which wire to tap into and I'm not that comfortable hacking into wires there and would rather have the hu do the job for me if it's an easy fix. Please help I'm at my wits end trying to get this to work.
Old 04-24-2014, 10:44 AM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by DTH
I installed my head unit about 10 months ago and now installing a backup cam from ADC Mobile. I'm using the positive and negative from head unit and the RCA connecter for the cam but don't seem to be getting power coming out on red (power) wire to turn camera on, I've got power going into head unit on the purple/white wire. Anyways with it hooked up this way the only option I get in the setup/camera screen is for R-Cam Interruption and non of the others. With the interruption turned on and shift into reverse I get a black screen with saying check surroundings before backing up but no pic of whats behind me and the same with interruption turned off and using AUD button to trigger the cam. Is it possible I missed a setting somewhere or maybe my hu is hooped not allowing power out to turn the on. Is it possible I need an alternate power source other then off of hu, I would like to have it come on with shifting into reverse and not to have to press a button to turn. I have looked in the right kick panel area but can't figure out which wire to tap into and I'm not that comfortable hacking into wires there and would rather have the hu do the job for me if it's an easy fix. Please help I'm at my wits end trying to get this to work.
The red wire needs to be connected to the reverse wire on your truck or the wire going to your backup lights on the back of your truck.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:22 AM
DTH

I tried a couple of things this morning and found out if I disconnect pos and neg and put in reverse I get same results (changes screen to blank no image) this is with R-Cam Interruption set to on. So do you think if I connect the red wire to a power source and neg to ground it will still change to backup image while reverse ?
Old 04-24-2014, 12:52 PM

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

You didn't mention your HU but most have a polarity setting. Check to see if you have that.
Old 04-24-2014, 01:43 PM
DTH

Originally Posted by troutspinner
You didn't mention your HU but most have a polarity setting. Check to see if you have that.
Not sure what you mean by a polarity setting and where would I find this.
Old 04-24-2014, 02:20 PM

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Some trucks have power for the camera going thru the can-bus, some do not, you need too hook the camera positive too a power source that comes on when truck is put into reverse(reverse lights) I hooked my power for the camera onto the reverse light wire on the 7 pin trailer connecter, worked like a charm ...............
Old 04-24-2014, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by flasch192
Some trucks have power for the camera going thru the can-bus, some do not, you need too hook the camera positive too a power source that comes on when truck is put into reverse(reverse lights) I hooked my power for the camera onto the reverse light wire on the 7 pin trailer connecter, worked like a charm ...............
Yes that is correct
Old 04-24-2014, 05:23 PM

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

If your HU is showing a picture when you put it into reverse, then your reverse wire is correctly hooked up. That wire receives signal from the CANBUS and invokes your HU to go into that input mode.

Your camera however needs to be powered from a separate source in the vehicle, you can grab that from anywhere. It sounds like you grabbed it from the same power source that your HU was hooked up to and that is fine as well. If that is the case, then you are not having a wiring issue, it is most likely a setting issue in the HU OR are you 100% sure that your RCA is connected to the Back Up Camera input and not the DVD or alternate video input?
Old 04-24-2014, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by DTH
I tried a couple of things this morning and found out if I disconnect pos and neg and put in reverse I get same results (changes screen to blank no image) this is with R-Cam Interruption set to on. So do you think if I connect the red wire to a power source and neg to ground it will still change to backup image while reverse ?
Your HU is switching to the camera screen but the camera isn't either turning on or you have the yellow rca wire from the camera plugged into the wrong input on the back of the HU
Old 04-24-2014, 10:06 PM
DTH

Originally Posted by Wyo11Scab
Your HU is switching to the camera screen but the camera isn't either turning on or you have the yellow rca wire from the camera plugged into the wrong input on the back of the HU
I'm plugged into the one labeled rear view cam but I also tried all the others.

Quick Reply: Kenwood DNX890HD and backup cam HELP