Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Kenwood amp stopped working

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 11:39 PM
Texas A&M Aggie

Received 1,344 Likes on 976 Posts

Default Kenwood amp stopped working

Howdy all, like the title states my Kenwood KAC-7205 amp randomly cut off earlier today as I was driving around. Going through the usual stuff my ground is good, all fuses are good, all the wires appear to be great (i.e. no nicks, kinks,or burn marks). When testing the power through the amp I'm getting 0.4V DC. When testing signal to ground it gives me -11.6V DC. I'm getting power across the main fuse on the power wire, and both fuses on the amp check ohms at 0. I'm stumped. It sounds like a short between the fuse and the amp but I can't find anything... Amp is completely powerless with no lights. I've had the amp for a little over a year. Any ideas what else to check?
Old 05-02-2014, 01:17 AM

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by tareed94
Howdy all, like the title states my Kenwood KAC-7205 amp randomly cut off earlier today as I was driving around. Going through the usual stuff my ground is good, all fuses are good, all the wires appear to be great (i.e. no nicks, kinks,or burn marks). When testing the power through the amp I'm getting 0.4V DC. When testing signal to ground it gives me -11.6V DC. I'm getting power across the main fuse on the power wire, and both fuses on the amp check ohms at 0. I'm stumped. It sounds like a short between the fuse and the amp but I can't find anything... Amp is completely powerless with no lights. I've had the amp for a little over a year. Any ideas what else to check?
This is going to sound strange, but I'm also running a Kenwood amp (can't remember model# but it's a 5 channel) and it just stopped working yesterday randomly. Good connection on the battery, headunit works fine & beeps, just nothing from the speakers. Gonna have to check it out once I have time this weekend. I'm gonna go nuts driving around In silence!
Old 05-02-2014, 01:20 AM
Texas A&M Aggie

Originally Posted by Benhicks24
This is going to sound strange, but I'm also running a Kenwood amp (can't remember model# but it's a 5 channel) and it just stopped working yesterday randomly. Good connection on the battery, headunit works fine & beeps, just nothing from the speakers. Gonna have to check it out once I have time this weekend. I'm gonna go nuts driving around In silence!
I'm afraid mine overheated and just died. It's sitting under the backseat and when I went to inspect why it shut off it had slid over and had the fans touching the sub box. I can't find any way to force it to come on. I've already priced new amps incase this one is toasted. I can't go back to no bass in the truck. It's brutal.
Old 05-02-2014, 01:21 AM
One Clean Machine

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,350 Posts

That Blows... Good Luck guys!
Old 05-02-2014, 01:28 AM
Texas A&M Aggie

Hmmmm... I forgot about looking up the user's guide online. It may be in protection mode. There's 2 sets of wires I didn't check for shorts. The wires running to the sub, and the audio wires running from the head unit to the amp. You may have the same issue. I plan to check it out tomorrow. Still open to any suggestions of things to check if anyone has any.
Old 05-02-2014, 01:56 PM

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Hmmmm... I forgot about looking up the user's guide online. It may be in protection mode. There's 2 sets of wires I didn't check for shorts. The wires running to the sub, and the audio wires running from the head unit to the amp. You may have the same issue. I plan to check it out tomorrow. Still open to any suggestions of things to check if anyone has any.
Yeah, the protection mode is kind of weird and hard for me to figure out. I won't have access to my amp until Monday probably so until then, no music. I think mine is still under warranty though, but hopefully I don't have to resort to that. Last night it cut on twice for about a second each time, so I'm thinking it could be a short in the amp/headunit remote turn on or whatever it is. Let me know if you find anything out
Old 05-02-2014, 02:01 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Are you getting turn on power from the HU?
Old 05-02-2014, 04:11 PM
Texas A&M Aggie

Originally Posted by Wyo11Scab
Are you getting turn on power from the HU?
Yup. When using the meter I put positive to the signal and negative to ground and get -11.6V DC. I'm wondering if there's a short in a speaker wire or something. That's the last thing I can check before declaring it dead and buying a new amp unless someone else can chime in.
Old 05-02-2014, 04:32 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Yup. When using the meter I put positive to the signal and negative to ground and get -11.6V DC. I'm wondering if there's a short in a speaker wire or something. That's the last thing I can check before declaring it dead and buying a new amp unless someone else can chime in.
Disconnect your speakers and see what happens. You aren't using RCA from your HU?
Old 05-02-2014, 05:06 PM
Texas A&M Aggie

Originally Posted by Wyo11Scab
Disconnect your speakers and see what happens. You aren't using RCA from your HU?
I am. I need to check that too. Forgot to mention that in my previous post. I'll try that and see what happens.

Quick Reply: Kenwood amp stopped working